Boil over buff shows killers are hypocritical

124»

Comments

• StarLost
    StarLost Member Posts: 8,077

Yes, it is. But...not quite. They are also preventing the match from ending for you, forcing you to take a penalty or to basically allow the troll.

That's exactly the problem.

They are making it unreasonably difficult to finish the game, win or lose.

No, nobody should have to run specific (and mostly bad) perks, or burn extremely rare offerings to avoid this happening. This is a mechanical issue with the game that needs to be fixed - and I have no idea why you are being apologist for griefing.

• SmarulKusia
    SmarulKusia Member Posts: 819

Eh, yes it is.

I'm not playing at semantics. Reasons that mechanics have been brought into the game is because the game was made unplayable for the opposing side. The old hatch mechanic meant that either side couldn't complete their objective. Playing 'hide and seek' meant that the killers couldn't complete their objective.

You aren't held hostage if you can still complete your objective. I don't know why you're resorting to changing the focus of the argument instead of countering what I'm saying to you.

The issue that is being brought up - is SWFs bringing builds that make hooking difficult. I'm telling you that you aren't being held hostage by that because those survivors can still bleed out. You can bring offerings that bring hooks closer. You can play Pyramid Head, who completely voids the mechanic of picking a survivor up. You can play Tombstone Myers which doesn't even involve hooking.

There are ways to play around this, and trying to displace it as 'the game being held hostage' is just a weak excuse.

• SmarulKusia

No one should have to run things to counter playstyles? Then say that to about 90% of the complaints about perks like Decisive, NOED, and etc.

You have the choice of changing killers, bringing offerings, addons and perks because you are meant to use those options. Use them how you want, but they are meant to be used. If you are refusing to play around that - something that is used as a counter argument for just about ANY OTHER issue in the game, then that is a you problem.

As a survivor, you have to deal with tunneling and face camping. You have to deal with NOED, or other annoying hex perks. You have to deal with the killer's power which sometimes involves insta-downs. As a killer, you have to deal with SWF, you have to deal and respect perks like BT or Decisive. You have to deal with gen-rushing.

This situation is not any different - refusing to adjust to it, becomes a personal problem than a game problem. If you are finding the behaviour to be unsportsmanlike or to be trolling, report and move along.

But it still isn't taking the game hostage.

• fulltonon
    fulltonon Member Posts: 5,762

Doesn't matter whether preventing it or not, keeping a match indefinitely longer for the sake of it will be considered taking the game hostage, I mean even the bodyblocking a survivor will yields ban why you try to defend things even...

• StarLost

Sigh.

• This isn't a playstyle. This is griefing. And no, nobody should have to run certain perks or play certain killers to counter one specific thing that totally breaks the game if it occurs. This was why boon stacking was changed in the PTB. Everything must have counterplay that isn't 'autocounter this or lose at the selection screen'.
    • The thing is - you don't know if it's going to be a BO troll comp before the match. You're going to run out of offerings fast, get bored of playing Myers and get stomped by people who aren't running BO, because you have two useless perks.
    • Tunneling isn't a thing. That's just how killers are supposed to play, tactically. It's your team's and your own responsibility to distribute damage.
    • BHVR are fixing facecamping. The mechanical change is underdoing internal testing.
    • There is no perk to counter SWF.
    • There are multiple ways to counter 'gen rushing' aside from 'choose x perks'.
    • The situation is entirely different. Do you honestly think that griefing is a legitimate playstyle?
    • If 'adapt to it' means 'use the same two useless perks every game in expectation that one group might be a troll comp' then you've just made my point for me.
    • Yes, it is. We've been over this.
  • SmarulKusia

Except bodyblocking a survivor is stopping them from completing their objective, which can be considered taking the game hostage.

I’m not sitting here to defend someone taking the game hostage but the situation that is being described is NOT what you’re trying to perceive it as.

• RainehDaze
    RainehDaze Member Posts: 2,573

You're playing at semantics by insisting that holding the game hostage means "the other person physically cannot complete it" and nothing else counts.

But BHVR has said that Survivors hiding for half an hour (but not going AFK to get the crows) and never approaching the generators counts and can be reportable for same.

You're trying to define the term as something that it isn't by ignoring the developers' own statement on what can be reported, and then saying that, therefore, boil over is fine. But it isn't, because the official definition appears to be more along the lines of "unreasonably extending the game time by not completing your objective and denying the other side the opportunity to complete theirs". Being physically impossible is the simplest way, but sabo builds and boil over use with addons and even locker flashlight squads? All count.

• SmarulKusia

Running BO is not taking the game hostage LOL.

stop omg.

you can STILL hook them.

you can still BLEED them out

you can run pig and make them take hats off. You can play hag and place a trap at the closest point of the loop to a hook and down them. You can avoid dropping by dropping the survivor off the ledge. You can place traps as a trapper to block off a loop. You can play pinhead to literally make chase unbearable.

there are ways to work around this with most killers.

if you have an issue, say that it’s grieving. But don’t sit there and lie saying that it’s taking the game hostage lmao

• SmarulKusia
    edited February 2022

Except you are ignoring that the example you provided literally falls under what I’ve been saying.

Refusing to take part in the game by hiding away from the killer is refusing the killer their objective which is why the game is taken hostage.

Players running a build that is meant to make hooking difficult, is not taking the game hostage because you are STILL able to complete your objective. I’m not defending those that run those builds, I’m just saying that what you’re describing is not only counter-able, but is also not what you’re describing it as.

If being forced to slug was taking the game hostage, then slugging as a mechanic would’ve been changed months if not years ago.

Flashlights are shown in lobby. No Mither shows at the start, unbreakable is usable once. Soul guard only works if they’re affected by a hex and most of the hexes require a criteria. Boil over is literally shown if used by the person.

are these games tedious to deal with? Without a doubt. Is it mean to run builds like this? Yes. But don’t call it what it isn’t.

• tesla
    tesla Member Posts: 446

then you snuff it and they just wait you turn your back to lit it up again in 14 seconds 🤣

• RainehDaze
    RainehDaze Member Posts: 2,573
    edited February 2022

Literally the only thing you can see in the lobby is flashlights. You don't know that it's going to be a locker flashlight squad--and that's not very counterable; if you take the things to counter it, you're probably forfeiting the game by default.

You can't do anything about SWF sabo squads or the Boil Over abuse because by the time you know they're in play, it's too late. You've picked a Killer, you've picked a set of perks that aren't based around countering this highly specific tactic, you've seen the addons saying it's going to be impossible to get hooks.

So once you're in the game, then what? You can't get to hooks, so hooking is out. You might be able to camp a slug until they die, then the next, then the next etc. If you can keep them slugged. If you're willing to spend 20 minutes not playing the game after downing someone--if you do anything but stop actually taking part and trying, you can't possibly end it. So, the game is held hostage. The other three Survivors could win at any time if they wanted. And if they want to waste your time even more, and they can pick themselves up, then you're going to be spending ages on it. If you can even keep them down and they won't just manage to cycle someone else in.

You can't counter it to prevent a hostage situation, because there's no "counter" that will force the game to end in a reasonable time. Same way people playing hide and seek doesn't have a counter but you can still win.

You're overly fixating on the notion that because the objective is theoretically completable over the length of 4 normal games, it's not been taken hostage. But it has, because dragging it out that long without making any effort to complete the objective is the exact thing that has been suggested to be reportable behaviour: you're not letting someone actively play the game, and you're not letting the game end. They can't leave to go on to the next game, and they can't get in chases and try to hook without being stuck even longer without progress.

You can insist it's not your definition of taking the game hostage, but it lines up perfectly well with what we've already been told is reportable. Arguing that it's "just" tedious and mean is a completely bizarre defence.

• deKlaw_04
    deKlaw_04 Member Posts: 3,660
  • GodDamn_Angela
    GodDamn_Angela Member Posts: 2,213

All praise Sluzzy. 🙏

• StarLost

Okay, this is the last time I'm going to respond to this, because I've repeated myself several times now, and you aren't giving counter arguments, you're just going 'no u'.

• Yes, it is.
    • On a surprisingly number of maps? No, you can't. Watch Otzdarva's recent stream titled 'Using Buffed Boil Over' where he tests it extensively. The perk is busted.
    • If killers are being forced to stand over slugs bleeding them out every game, is that healthy for DbD?
    • What? Pig hats don't progress while slugged. That's not how Hag works. That's not how Pinhead works.
    • Taking the game hostage = making it unreasonably difficult to end the game without DCing until you want it to. By your logic, 'taking the game hostage' doesn't exist. And yes, it's *also* griefing. Griefing is the category, taking the game hostage is the subcategory.
  • GoshJosh
    GoshJosh Member Posts: 4,992

I am one solo queue survivor with four perks... don't lump me in this "16 perks" nonsense!

And think of all the examples of times survivors are just told to run perks to counter killer playstyles and perks - not going to write that essay again!

• anarchy753
    anarchy753 Member Posts: 4,212
  • Huge_Bush
    Huge_Bush Member Posts: 5,303

10/10 will read again.

I may hire you to be my ghost writer in the future.

• Sluzzy
    Sluzzy Member Posts: 3,130

This is what killers do all the time when they find 3 gens and refuse to chase people. Or use perks that literally make it impossible to finish the objective. It is unreasonably difficult to do the objective or avoid being caught in those cases. The killer can kill all but 2, and use tinkerer and nobody can finish the objective if he doesn't commit to a chase.

• tippy2k2
    tippy2k2 Member Posts: 5,177

Wha?!!?!?

...sorry, I blanked out there for a second. What were people talking about?

• StarLost
    • That has never happened in any game I've ever seen played, and I've probably watched thousands of hours of this dumb game.
    • Name one.
    • The 'being caught' is the important part. It's an essential 'or'. What makes the difference between being cheesy and holding the game hostage is that you have an 'or'.
    • And yes, they can. Regression is incredibly slow. I've lost 3gens to pure battles of attrition.
  • Mileena_Kahn
    Mileena_Kahn Member Posts: 600
    edited February 2022

“They are making it unreasonably difficult to finish the game, win or lose.” There’s a difference between making it DIFFICULT to end the game whether it’s win or lose and having the game end regardless of the outcome. If people claim that having to sit and wait for the slugs to die is taking the killer hostage it’s not. It’s why the devs invented a…. Oh boy you ready for this word? A…. BLEED OUT TIMER.

• Anara
    Anara Member Posts: 1,297

After 3 days of trying the perk you only wiggled one time ? Omg I cant count how many time I escaped killer shoulder in one game. I think you dont use it the right way. The perk need a nerf.

• SoySensual
    SoySensual Member Posts: 75

The devs nerf:undying

Ruin

Dearhslinger

Nemesis

Twins

A perk i cant remember the name but with that you can before know if some surbmv are breaking bones

Hillbilly

Cenobite

Dude, dont cry