The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

How can Killers enjoy tunneling?

Mileena_Kahn
Mileena_Kahn Member Posts: 600
edited February 2022 in General Discussions

Wouldn’t you get bored of chasing the same survivor and hardly interacting with the other players and/or defending your gens?

Comments

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,410

Yeah, people who do it for spite and toxicity can hardly be called "players". But thankfully, it doesn't happen that often.

• Mileena_Kahn
    Mileena_Kahn Member Posts: 600

Fair enough but in that video for example, everyone was injured but still went after him. I guess if your on death hook it makes sense to ignore other injured survivors and go for the kill but being chased from the early game despite others being injured can be frustrating and annoying.

• fulltonon
    fulltonon Member Posts: 5,762

I mean, hooks does not matter till you finally kill a survivor with third hook.

Injured survivors/slugged survivors can give somewhat same pressure as hooked survivors, without dropping a chase and getting a chance for "reset" of the progression.

As long as he has more than 1 hooks, it's only logical to chase for him, because that's the only way to progress through objective.

• fulltonon

And even then, if ruin is dead only option remaining is tunneling.

• Gamedozer7
    Gamedozer7 Member Posts: 2,657

I don't really ever run ruin because I tend to lose it before I get value.

A mix of Gen speeds and map size has turned the current meta into blocking gens instead of regression. If you have a bad start and 3 gens pop in your first chase your now in a spot where there is one survivor for every Gen left and one hook. Tunneling is kind of mandatory at this point.

• Idontknowtbh
    Idontknowtbh Member Posts: 467

I don't think they enjoy it.

It's more of a "I feel miserable, because so and so (other survivors, bad game experience) and I'm going to at least make someone else feel the same way by tunneling.

• ryzen0849
    ryzen0849 Member Posts: 143

Usually when I tunnel, it's about convenience. Unhookers hide, don't take aggro, or are way better in chase compared to the unhooked for it to be worth it.

• BenihimeWrath
    BenihimeWrath Member Posts: 968

I mostly enjoy tunneling because I only want 2 hooks on everyone and usually there is 1 guy that I have to hook last back to back.

• Brimp
    Brimp Member Posts: 2,881

I mean survivors are just clones of themselves. Same old loop drop loop drop. Rarely have I gone against survivors that mind gamed me.

• deKlaw_04
    deKlaw_04 Member Posts: 3,660

Other than Claudette’s, I don’t really like tunneling but sometimes it just your only option

• fogdonkey
    fogdonkey Member Posts: 1,567

3v1 is not really balanced. If the killer is downing the survivor relatively quickly then the survivors don't have time to heal up if they want to do gens.

• fogdonkey
    fogdonkey Member Posts: 1,567

The game is not explicitly meant to be played like that. It is nowhere written that you have to tunnel. It just turned out that with the current game mechanics and rules this is often the easiest way to get lot of kills.

• Barbarossa2020
    Barbarossa2020 Member Posts: 1,369

If it was even skill it should be balanced. 1 Running 2 on gens.

Granted that depends on many variables, health states, gen numbers even tokens for hexes.

Say if the game started with 3 v 1 and only 4 gens to do would you think that was balanced?

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,546

I certainly don't like to tunnel... But if a Survivor wants to be chased then I will... until I see where they are going and then probably give up

But to each there own

• Mert_MK
    Mert_MK Member Posts: 674

That kind of tunneling like in the video is just hella cringe. She literally went out of her way to look for him again after getting saved for the second time from the basement when she could've probably really easily got a down there as well. Obviously it's not surprising she had NOED.

Why even play Pig if you're just gonna spend the entire game chasing the guy with the trap?

• PleassBuiltInNoed
    PleassBuiltInNoed Member Posts: 618

nobody enjoys tunneling, unless done out of spite for some reason

people like to win, competetive people like to win

• Sparxlost
    Sparxlost Member Posts: 100

with extreme prejudice

• Hektic3000
    Hektic3000 Member Posts: 674

How and why would anyone complain about killers...killing them, its what they do. Accept it and just move on.

• geeca
    geeca Member Posts: 28
    edited February 2022

Tunneling happens based on the gamestate and confidence of the killer. If the killer is unconfident they can win playing by the 'rulebook' without tunneling it will start. For instance if there is 1 gen or EGC left then I'm grabbing a survivor and camping them opposite the exit gates. Simply said it can be the optimal play. Sometimes the survivors actually encourage tunneling, if you have one survivor you've never seen all game that's because they've avoided you thus funneling the pressure onto the other three. Sometimes 2survivors will hide and you end up alternating hooks on 2 guys till they die then you have 6 hooks and 2 survivors left to go. Like, if the survivors are just hiding do they expect me go, "okay time to LET THIS PERSON WORK ON GENS and go check lockers for 20 minutes" ??

Personally if I'm in a chase with someone injured that I tracked I'm going after them even if they were unhooked recently unless I'm at 4-5 gens left then I normally abandon chase to give them a little wiggle room to play the game some more.

Everyone has a different definition of tunneling too, if I hook everyone who has not been hiding in a corner once kills are completely fair game in my book. I've killed a mildly popular streamer on hooks 1, 3, & 6 while his team had been hooked once each and was called a tunneler so IDK what people actually think tunneling is.

I've intentionally straight tunneled someone out once because they were being a BM lord and they were not better than me.

tl;dr Tunneling is the product of when the killer's confidence in winning the game dips below their comfort level in the current gamestate or by the survivors own design.

edit: So like in the video this killer is so unconfident in their ability to win the game they spend all of their effort trying to get 1 kill.

• fulltonon

every side of game mechanics encourage you to do tunnel, especially hook system.

• WesCravenFan
    WesCravenFan Member Posts: 2,638

What does the number of gens left have to do with anything?

• Reshy
    Reshy Member Posts: 402

Worth mentioning that this was also a Flashlight SWF, so they were setting themselves up for toxicity when the pig loaded up the lobby seeing that.

• ThatOneDemoPlayer
    ThatOneDemoPlayer Member Posts: 5,623

No one enjoys tunneling unless it's done out of spite, but winning is fun so Killers that want to win have to tunnel and after a certain point you don't feel bad anymore

• steezo_de
    steezo_de Member Posts: 1,196

Plenty of people enjoy tunneling for the simple reason that it gets results most of the time. A lot of these people don't care to get any better and are happy with their skill as long as they can score decently. It's no different than all the FFA arena games where players camp armors and health and spam grenades at spawn points. It works without a whole lot of thinking.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095

Current gen speed doesn't allow for a slow paced game where everyone has fun.

Years ago, survivors complained for dying with 20k bloodpoints. Now survivors escape with 11k bloodpoints and feel good about it.

Gen rushing benefits no one. The only way to slow down gens is to turn it into a 3vs1. Even Otz said that tunneling someone out early is his bread and butter.

• SunsetSherbet
    SunsetSherbet Member Posts: 1,607

It's more fun than you tbagging and clicky clicking at the exit gates.

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,455

Blame the game not the player. If it wouldn't be a good strategy to get rid of one survivor as fast as possible, people would not play like that.

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,987

A guilty pleasure of mine is tunneling survivors who are good. I would rather have an intense chase with that one person for 5 gens than 9 separate chases with the other 3.

• Magicalclawz
    Magicalclawz Member Posts: 14

Its a "GAME".

The person playing killer can play however they want, they dont have to abide by your rules and the same can be said the other way around. Why do killers go into a match not expecting people to be focused on gens???

Why do survivours go into a match not expecting to be tunneled/camped/moried

Whatever side you are playing expect anything and everything and stop taking things that happen in-game personally for godsakes.

The most crybaby community ever istg