Good Build For The Clown

Hey guys, as many of you know The Clown will be released very soon.

He's one of my favorite killer designs, and as such, I'm going to make him my secondary main. But I'm having trouble selecting perks for him.

Here's my current idea for a build:

Hex: Ruin
BBQ and Chili
Bamboozle
Whispers

Let me know what you guys think.

Comments

• ChesterTheMolester
    ChesterTheMolester Member Posts: 2,771
    edited June 2018
    The Clown can punish vaults easily by forcing slow vaults for free hits so im not sure if Bamboozle will benefit him, atleast not as much as you might think, consider switching it for perks like Agitation, Iron Grasp, Brutal Strengh, Enduring, Remember Me etc, the rest of it is very solid.
  • Runiver
    Runiver Member Posts: 2,095

Ruin
    NOED
    Enduring (super strong, as you can drop a potion to your feet as you grab a DS user, and he will be greatly slowed down as he drops, allowing you to give him very minimal distance.)
    And a flexible slot, possibly Franklin, Bamboozle or Brutal Strength since people will very likely drop early pallets on him.

• Techn0
    Techn0 Member Posts: 405

The clown currently excels at chasing leaving much to be desired in the stall and tracking categories. With that I decided that this would be the optimal build for my play-style.

• Hex: Ruin - Required perk, nothing more nothing less.
    • Monitor and abuse - Allows the clown to get bottle hits in before the survivors can really notice him, giving him a bigger boost at the start of a chase and a bit of tracking if he throws at gens.
    • Brutal strength/ Enduring -Normally this would just be enduring since brutal isn't really needed anymore but they both fill a niche on the clown. Enduring allows you to trash DS with the gas. Throwing a bottle at a survivor and then breaking the pallet will allow you to stay on your target if they camp a dropped pallet.
    • Knockout - Stall once ruin goes out. Could also run pop goes the weasel in its place but I prefer the slug game.
  • RagingCalm
    RagingCalm Member Posts: 408

@Techn0 the reason knockout never works(I have not had a single game with knockout where it worked) is because the survivor's scream upon being downed is directional, and scales with distance. This means that survivors can easily still locate fallen comrades, even where they aren't a 4 man SWF.

• Doomsaki
    Doomsaki Member Posts: 152

This isn't going to be popular, but I've found the most success using his gas clouds to hard camp and then running an end-game build (NOED+bloodwarden) and some 3-gen strat perks like overcharge and unnerving presence.

• Mister_Holdout
    Mister_Holdout Member Posts: 3,144

@ChesterTheMolester said:
    The Clown can punish vaults easily by forcing slow vaults for free hits so im not sure if Bamboozle will benefit him, atleast not as much as you might think, consider switching it for perks like Agitation, Iron Grasp, Brutal Strengh, Enduring, Remember Me etc, the rest of it is very solid.

Hmmm. Didn't think about that. I still think Bamboozle could be useful, especially when that small vault isn't enough. But we'll see.

• Mister_Holdout

@Runiver said:
    Ruin
    NOED
    Enduring (super strong, as you can drop a potion to your feet as you grab a DS user, and he will be greatly slowed down as he drops, allowing you to give him very minimal distance.)
    And a flexible slot, possibly Franklin, Bamboozle or Brutal Strength since people will very likely drop early pallets on him.

Why no BBQ or Whispers? I thought the clown was decent in a chase.

Also, I like using NOED but to me that implies a killer is rather low tier. But I mean if it's necessary then it's necessary I guess.

The tip with Enduring is really smart however. I never thought of that. DS is still running rampant so it's definitely not a bad idea. And enduring is just awesome anyway.

• Mister_Holdout

@Techn0 said:
    The clown currently excels at chasing leaving much to be desired in the stall and tracking categories. With that I decided that this would be the optimal build for my play-style.

• Hex: Ruin - Required perk, nothing more nothing less.
    • Monitor and abuse - Allows the clown to get bottle hits in before the survivors can really notice him, giving him a bigger boost at the start of a chase and a bit of tracking if he throws at gens.
    • Brutal strength/ Enduring -Normally this would just be enduring since brutal isn't really needed anymore but they both fill a niche on the clown. Enduring allows you to trash DS with the gas. Throwing a bottle at a survivor and then breaking the pallet will allow you to stay on your target if they camp a dropped pallet.
    • Knockout - Stall once ruin goes out. Could also run pop goes the weasel in its place but I prefer the slug game.

I've actually thought about Monitor and Abuse myself. It does seem like it could be useful sneaking up on survivors.

And I'm already really liking the idea of enduring. The fact that it can trash DS is really nice.

• Mister_Holdout

@Doomsaki said:
    This isn't going to be popular, but I've found the most success using his gas clouds to hard camp and then running an end-game build (NOED+bloodwarden) and some 3-gen strat perks like overcharge and unnerving presence.

Honestly, I really hope The Clown doesn't rely on end game builds. That would put a damper on things.

• Doomsaki
    Doomsaki Member Posts: 152

@Mister_Holdout said:

@Doomsaki said:

Honestly, I really hope The Clown doesn't rely on end game builds. That would put a damper on things.

Regardless of overall strategy, keep in mind vs SWF that the gas cloud blurs vision. When faced with a camper, many survivors will try to bait a hit then go for the unhook. But with the cloud, I've gotten so many unhook grabs against survivors since they can't tell when I'm going to lunge.

• Dragonredking
    Dragonredking Member Posts: 874
    edited June 2018

Use two VHS Pr0n addons...
    For research purposes ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

https://youtu.be/fHqUIC_FBT0?t=17

• ASpazNamedSteve
    ASpazNamedSteve Member Posts: 1,784

I actually think both Enduring and Brutal Strength might be legit on him. Enduring because like people said, you can counter the Obsession DS very well w/ a bottle. And Brutal Strength because people will need to drop pallets early on you often + you can bottle them when they're on the other side of a pallet then break the pallet quicker, possibly gaining decent distance on them.

Ruin too, 'cause it's Ruin. 4th slot could be a lot of stuff, Whispers maybe. Whatever your preference may be.

• RSB
    RSB Member Posts: 2,258

@Mister_Holdout said:
    Hey guys, as many of you know The Clown will be released very soon.

He's one of my favorite killer designs, and as such, I'm going to make him my secondary main. But I'm having trouble selecting perks for him.

Here's my current idea for a build:

Hex: Ruin
    BBQ and Chili
    Bamboozle
    Whispers

Let me know what you guys think.

NC instead of Whispers, maybe?

• ASpazNamedSteve
    ASpazNamedSteve Member Posts: 1,784

@RSB said:
    NC instead of Whispers, maybe?

NC could be pretty legit with his Mangled addon.

• Runiver

@Mister_Holdout said:

@Runiver said:
    Ruin
    NOED

Why no BBQ or Whispers? I thought the clown was decent in a chase.

Also, I like using NOED but to me that implies a killer is rather low tier. But I mean if it's necessary then it's necessary I guess.

The tip with Enduring is really smart however. I never thought of that. DS is still running rampant so it's definitely not a bad idea. And enduring is just awesome anyway.

No BBQ because I don't need BP, and he's not made to run over the map as he has a pretty bad mobility overall, especially with the reloads.
    No Whispers since he doesn't get that many extra uses on it. I like whispers, I think it's a great perk, but it needs to have some extra uses tied to the power itself to be extra useful imo.
    Also, most people don't hide anymore anyway.
    I use NOED even on top tier killers too.
    It's gonna be super effective on Clown for a simple reason : he's a pallet breaker since he forces early pallet drop, so if the survivors keep dropping pallets early and still manage to repair due to their number, you can eventually snowball lategame using NOED since vaults won't prove efficient to keep him at bay.
    WHich is also why I get Brutal Strength : to break early dropped pallets quicker and improve his chasing even more.

• Runiver

@SaltyKiller said:
    BBQ is a very strong perk but its best asset is the BP gain you get from using it. If you're using it for tracking and playing at relatively high rank it's not as useful because half-decent Survivors will just beeline to the hook as you hook someone so they don't get detected.

You could have a really good start, down someone, hook them in the corner of the map, far away from any gens, all within the first minute or so. And I guarantee that you're STILL not going to see the other 3 Survivors with BBQ. There's always going to be at least one guy hiding nearby, avoiding detection and waiting to hook rush.

The best aspect of BBQ is that it lets you know if there's someone nearby hiding and waiting to hook rush.

Not to mention it's being nerfed next patch, due to the color change of generator auras, so people can easily hide behind them now.

• Runiver

@SaltyKiller said:

@Runiver said:

@SaltyKiller said:
    BBQ is a very strong perk but its best asset is the BP gain you get from using it. If you're using it for tracking and playing at relatively high rank it's not as useful because half-decent Survivors will just beeline to the hook as you hook someone so they don't get detected.

You could have a really good start, down someone, hook them in the corner of the map, far away from any gens, all within the first minute or so. And I guarantee that you're STILL not going to see the other 3 Survivors with BBQ. There's always going to be at least one guy hiding nearby, avoiding detection and waiting to hook rush.

The best aspect of BBQ is that it lets you know if there's someone nearby hiding and waiting to hook rush.

Not to mention it's being nerfed next patch, due to the color change of generator auras, so people can easily hide behind them now.

Oh goody, another nerf to Killer perks.

They also nerfed Billy on the PTB, by making bloodlust to go if he revs his chainsaw. So basically, you lose bloodlust stacks if you try to use your chainsaw to mindgames at pallets.
    Yup, some sneaky nerfs they get in game without many people noticing.

• Runiver

@SaltyKiller said:

@Runiver said:

@SaltyKiller said:

@Runiver said:

@SaltyKiller said:

Oh goody, another nerf to Killer perks.

They also nerfed Billy on the PTB, by making bloodlust to go if he revs his chainsaw. So basically, you lose bloodlust stacks if you try to use your chainsaw to mindgames at pallets.
    Yup, some sneaky nerfs they get in game without many people noticing.

They can sneak in those changes but that big DS change is just too hard to do for them...

I just asked to a dev (jeff is awesome), and he told me that the bloodlust reset only happens when the chainsaw sprint STARTS, so I suppose it's not actually a nerf!
    My bad on that (the patchnote was misleading tho, he's gonna make it more clear he told me)
    I quote it

• Fixed an issue that caused Bloodlust to be reset at the end of a Chainsaw interaction with the Hillbilly. Bloodlust will now reset at the start of the Chainsaw interaction instead.

• Zavri
    Zavri Member Posts: 261

@ChesterTheMolester said:

Survivors can still fast vault if they are close enough, which they always are considering the travel time of the throw is ######### garbage.