Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Uncustomizable Characters

Why is it not possible to change how Freddy looks, but you can change how Ghostface looks?

Comments

• NomiNomad
    NomiNomad Member Posts: 3,178

Different license holders. Fun World owns the Ghostface character, and they seem to be the most lax license holder we have currently.

Whoever owns NOES (I can't remember right now) has been one of the worst, if not the worst.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,752

Wes Craven's Estate owns the IP now, however BHVR made the original contract with New Line Cinema + Warner Bros IIRC so any deals currently have to go through both New Line and Wes Craven's Estate

• N8dog
    N8dog Member Posts: 541

I want sunglasses Freddy and remember if they want OG Freddy they need the rights to Robert Englund's likeness too.

• Supernaut
    Supernaut Member Posts: 1,532

DBD only has the license to Remake Freddy. They would have to go through a whole new agreement to bring Classic Freddy into the game. I know we would all love it, but could you honestly see it making business sense?

Tony the Pimp from Demons is a whole different kettle of Fish!

• Guiltii
    Guiltii Member Posts: 32

Freddy is because of strict licensing, but I believe Ghostface is BHVR's original character? Not a licensed Ghosty if I'm not mistaken.

• Tsukah
    Tsukah Member Posts: 390
    edited February 2022

A Robert Englund legendary cosmetic for Fred would be amazing. Sadly I don't see that happening anytime soon.

• Aurelle
    Aurelle Member Posts: 3,611

Different licenses have different terms. Ghostface's license is more lenient when it comes to content, whereas the A Nightmare On Elm Street license is more strict. As much as I would love to see different cosmetics for Freddy and Quentin, I highly doubt we would ever get any.

• Thusly_Boned
    Thusly_Boned Member Posts: 2,885

Two of the biggest items on my "totally never gonna happen" wish list would be to see both the NoES and Scream/Ghostface chapters overhauled to reflect their original source material, using Robert Englund with a Nancy surv, and Billy and Stu with Sydney and Dewey (and maybe Gale).

That would be awesome.

• AetherBytes
    AetherBytes Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 3,028

The ghostface ingame belongs to BHVR, the only thing licensed is the mask. That, and less restrictions.

Freddy however is extremely restricted and not owned by BHVR.

• ProfoundEnding
    ProfoundEnding Member Posts: 2,334

The character is but the mask is licensed so anything they do with the mask has to go through the rights holders.

Which his mask is involved in all of his cosmetics.

• Majin151
    Majin151 Member Posts: 1,270

Honestly with how much Fahey can get away with ghostface I would love for them to put this mask ingame