"I have BT, that means I can unhook in the killer's face"

I don't care if your favorite youtuber does it, it's a bad play to trade hooks unless it's endgame. Every third game is ruined by some overconfident pink-haired Nea that sabotages our chances at winning by unhooking in the killer's face and getting downed that second, giving the killer 1-2 free hooks. The point of trading hooks is traditionally to buy time at the end of the game when the killer is forced to camp. When you do it at 5 gens, the game's already over. You've given the killer a headstart.

I don't know who here needed to hear this, but judging by the fact that it's usually people decked out in cosmetics with hours under their belt, I figured there's a good chance of finding one here.

Comments

• ThatOneDemoPlayer
    ThatOneDemoPlayer Member Posts: 5,623

"B-but it's fun"

• jarjargist21
    jarjargist21 Member Posts: 444

I normally do this. I look around the area of the hook so to make sure there's no sneaky survivor around (because there's normally is, If I don't see them with bbq) If a survivor goes for the unhook with barrow time. I try to go for the unhooker. Unless the person who has the effect on them and runs to me and takes the hit. I'm going to go after them as punishment.

Killer is a threat, the person that's trying to kill the survivors.

• KerJuice
    KerJuice Member Posts: 1,876

I agree. It’s one of my biggest pet peeves. It’s unnecessary. Especially when you have two other teammates who can go for the save. No need to trade that early. Besides, some killers will get the down on the unhooker and STILL tunnel the unhooked out of Borrowed Time. It’s best to run the killer as far as you can from the hook if you are seen going for the save. Otherwise, let the killer get away far enough to the point where he may not want to return then unhook. If he comes back to tunnel, the BT will serve as a backup & give the unhooked somewhat of a fighting chance.

• Clevite
    Clevite Member Posts: 4,335

This is why I'm against BT as basekit!

• Kira4Evr
    Kira4Evr Member Posts: 2,025

I honestly unhook in the killer's face sometimes. But that's only because I want my WGLF stacks xd

• Snowbawlzzz
    Snowbawlzzz Member Posts: 1,419

You're not delaying the game by unhooking 2 seconds after the guy just got hooked. you're only guaranteeing another down. Unless you're certain that guy is being camped, it isn't a good idea.

• WesCravenFan
    WesCravenFan Member Posts: 2,638

A fresh hook has more seconds to be on that said hook than someone on second hook.

That is more game delay.

This is basic math.

• tippy2k2
    tippy2k2 Member Posts: 5,178

It's absolutely baffling people who just farm hooks like that and if I'm a survivor getting farmed, it's one of the very few instances where I will give up the game and let myself die. If you unhook me when the killer has taken only a step away and given them no chance to leave, I'm just going to stand there and make sure you don't get your precious WGLF stack.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,246

It's never worth it to make a quick contested 1 for 1 when the survivor is on first hook unless you're trying to keep the killer near the hook (1 gen left).

Make use of the free time if the killer is camping and save later in the hook state before it advances.

If we're really getting into the nitty gritty, you shouldn't be making contested unhooks without some combination of BT+Unbreakable/Deliverance.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

Just to clarify, hook trading is good strategy IF you do it as late as possible before the hook advances a stage. So if a killer is guarding a hook, and a survivor has Borrowed Time and saves someone 50 seconds into their first hook, then that’s a solid play because it means all the killer got out of that 50 seconds was one first hook on a second survivor while the remaining survivors did gens.

Hook trading instantly after a hook is made is dumb. If a killer hooks someone, walks 10 steps and hears a rescue behind them, that’s an incredibly inefficient rescue. You basically are just giving the killer a free hook in 15 seconds or whatever doing that. It’s not sustainable.

So there is a balance between trading to prevent hook stages from progressing because of no rescue at all and rescuing way too soon when the killer is still in the area.

• Bwsted
    Bwsted Member Posts: 3,452
    edited February 2022

it's a bad play to trade hooks unless it's endgame.

This is false. Trading hooks is optimal if the killer is trying to force stages on a single survivor even if the trial hasn't progressed to late game yet.

Spread stages >>>>>> all stages on the same survivor (from the survivors' perspective, of course.)

What is absolutely disastrous is a 2-for-none aka getting grabbed or downed (and possibly slugged near the hook) without rescuing. To a lesser degree, getting downed while rescuing but only after forced second stage, is also terrible for the survivors.

In general, one-for-one'ing is the tool survivors use to spread hooks to avoid an early 3v1 and it's an important strategy against any camping/tunneling killer.

There's still a lot about the macro game you have to consider, before making claims such the one in the quote.

• Bartlaus
    Bartlaus Member Posts: 1,026

It's about blood points and disrespecting the killer. Be glad they have BT at all :'D

• Chaos999
    Chaos999 Member Posts: 869

As killer main. I love it when you do this. Please keep doing it.

2 pain resonance for the price of one is always welcome. Plus if I catched the unhooked once, I probably will again.

• Firellius
    Firellius Member Posts: 4,295

This is why I don't like the idea of BT being picked to be baseline over DS.

Making a good hook save is a skill.

• Snowbawlzzz
    Snowbawlzzz Member Posts: 1,419

If those 2 hooks happen within seconds of each other, you have lost a minute of time

This is basic math

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,246

100% on the 2-for-none. GET AWAY FROM THE HOOK if you get found and hit on the way to make the save and you're not 100% sure you can get the save off. Hold W. Get away from it. The worst possible thing you can ever do is to get slugged under a hooked survivor. You have just thrown the game if you do that.

• I_am_Negan
    I_am_Negan Member Posts: 3,756

Let them play how they want.

If that means giving the killer a win so be it

• CyberDragoon656
    CyberDragoon656 Member Posts: 960
  • latigresa
    latigresa Member Posts: 88

You can unhook in the killers face with BT but not in a deadzone.

• ggezbaby
    ggezbaby Member Posts: 404
    edited February 2022

sorry dude, if you’re about to get to ur second hook state & I know for a fact (with info perks) no one else is getting you off the hook, I’m getting you off even with the killer right in our face. If I’m lucky I’m able to dead hard the hit so no one goes down. I’m not gonna let my teammate get to 2nd hook state bc the killer is camping/my other teammates do not care enough. I understand we’re mostly talking about immediate unhooking but there’s definitely different scenarios that call for different playstyles in this game. Plus that’s why I run BT, because my teammates don’t usually care enough to unhook anyone, so I will. sorry you don’t like that sometimes the killer is choosing to be there, but most of the time no one else is gonna come for you anyway.

• razberrypizza
    razberrypizza Member Posts: 132

Its always funny when the people doing this accuse me of tunneling them.