Thoughts on "Project Zomboid"?

Options
Bennett_They1Them
Bennett_They1Them Member Posts: 2,513

It looks really fun, but it's $20 for an early access game from 2013.

anyone ever play it?

Best Answer

• hatchetChugger
    hatchetChugger Member Posts: 441
    Answer ✓
    Options

Yes!! I have been playing since Build 19. Currently Build 41.77. It is absolutely worth it. I have sunk in a little over a thousand hours into that game. The amount of replay-ability it has is amazing. The attention to detail is astounding. Things like having a chance to trip over a fence while vaulting, and having encumbered movement in forested areas. That is just the tip of the iceberg. The amount of character customization you have is so immersive. You can choose your profession, and choose your characters strengths and weaknesses. The way you choose what strengths your character has is through a point system. You start by default with 8 points to spend. Some "perks" like Light Eater, significantly reduce the amount of food you need to eat to live. This is also very expensive piunt-wise. Other perks, like Night owl, increases your perception at night, and reduces the amount of sleep you need. If you overspend on perks, your point amount will go into the negatives. This is when you have to choose your characters weaknesses. Instead of costing points, weaknesses give you points to spend. Smaller weaknesses - Sunday Driver for example - decreases your max speed while driving cars, and only gives you a bonus of 2 points to spend. More severe weaknesses, like agoraphobia (fear of the outside) or even being straight up deaf, rewards you with 6 and 12 points to spend, respectively. With mods (and there are a lot of them, easily accessible too) you can add things like paranoid schizophrenia ( can make your character hallucinate zombies and their sounds, which can be really scary at times ), ADHD ( causes you to become panicked if not moving much), and even blindness! If all this customization sounds like a lot - which it is - the game gives you preset options 'loadouts' of occupations, weaknesses, and strengths that you can choose. You can also save your own presets.

I could honestly talk about this game for hours.

Despite being early access, its solo mode is completely playable and I have not experienced any game breaking bugs. The only exception to this was a duplication glitch which was patched in build 35 I believe. There is multiplayer too, with voice chat! You can even invite your friends to your party to join the same server together. The community overall is very sweet and I have never had a bad experience with it.

One tip I can give you? Don't expect to live. You can't 'win' at Project Zomboid, your only goal is to live as long as possible. If you do end up getting bit by a zombie early on, don't just quit and start a new game. The infection takes a few ingame days to fully complete. So go out with a bang! Rig a pipe bomb to a building, lure a buncha zombies to it, and make it rain!

From the bottom of my heart, this game and its developers deserve every little bit of that 20 dollars.

Answers

• Bennett_They1Them
    Bennett_They1Them Member Posts: 2,513
    Options

I picked it up a few months ago, played for about 100 hours, and then took a break from it.