Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Why do the devs love NOED so much?

gendoss
gendoss Member Posts: 2,270
edited February 2022 in General Discussions

I don't get it. Everybody and their mother thinks NOED at least needs a change of some sort but it hasn't been touched in a very very long time? Why? Why is it that the forums gets complaints about it basically every day but the devs pretty much haven't even spoke of it?

inb4 I get a ton of "but dead hard" replies.

Comments

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,610

Because it's not actually the problem a lot of people make it out to be.

Or maybe they also are under that assumption. It takes them a long time to fix the things that are problems, as evidenced by Decisive Strike and Iridescent Head, so even if they also think NOED is a problem they probably consider it low priority and won't address it for a fair while.

• fulltonon
    fulltonon Member Posts: 5,762

Because it doesn't do much and also not hard to counter.

OK?

• HaunterofShadows
    HaunterofShadows Member Posts: 4,092

the same reason dh is so bullshit. "You see all that work you did for you team. Yeah ######### that #########"

• WishIcouldmain
    WishIcouldmain Member Posts: 4,082

It’s the same way with killers some must be hated others loved Huntress and Blight are their favorites. But, they got the hated for Hillbilly and Twins

• HaunterofShadows
    HaunterofShadows Member Posts: 4,092

This is really the only good reason I've seen for not nerfing noed.

• ryseterion
    ryseterion Member Posts: 445

Because even though it should be changed, alot of things are alot more pressing than a single perk. Its the same thing for blights hug tech, should it be this way, no. But is it on the top of the list, no.

• Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,167

If you ask me it's because it's one of the few perks that equalises skill a bit

I'm not saying that to be snarky or anything, NOED is one of those perks you put on when you're getting hammered game after game so it's used as a sort of equaliser/way to get something out of a dud match. Even if it's just 1k, if noed gets you that 1k then it's worth something

The devs probably look at the statistics of it and think it's okay

• cutiekiller
    cutiekiller Member Posts: 238

because it is a weak balanced perk, there's something called totems and there's 5 of them in the map, you need to do 5 gens, that's 1 totem per gen, do 1 totem each time and you won't have to deal with noed, there's no reasons to change noed in any single way, do ######### bones

• Brokenbones

In a normal game yeah this applies

But what do you do about a killer who's camping and tunnelling one dude. Stop doing gens and do bones?

That's my only issue with NOED, the gameplay it promotes. Not the perk itself.

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,697

I don’t think it’s that the devs “love NOED” they probably just don’t feel that it needs changing.

• ChurchofPig
    ChurchofPig Member Posts: 2,763

The first part of that statement "It doesn't do much", I agree with the "Ok" response. However they do have a point that it's not that difficult to counter.

• SunsetSherbet
    SunsetSherbet Member Posts: 1,607

Probably because it has an easy counter.

• Brokenbones

If you stop doing gens and do bones then you're going to lose because it'll be a 3 v 1 by that point

• fulltonon

Let's assume that one person chased for 60 seconds, you can fix 3 generators with 20 seconds, do two another within 100 seconds and there would be somewhat enough time to do bones.

Or just do a bone once gate is powered.

• Brokenbones
    edited February 2022

That's typically not what happens in your average game

I'll give you an example myself, a match that I had fairly recently

Killer is bubba on wretched shop.

He downs this mikeala v quickly, takes her straight to basement - she has kindred and we can see he is straight up just facecamping. So all three of us split up on gens. By the time she died, we barely had enough time to do all 5 gens with 3 people. The only reason we did all the gens in time was because at 2 gens, two of us co-oped on one while the other was done solo.

The only reason he didn't get more than 1 kill was because he was bad in chase and he didn't have noed. If he had noed, he would've easily got an extra kill there. Maybe more.

• fulltonon

It doesn't really matter if there is NOED or not when killer is bubba, you have 120 seconds of free time AFTER first hook, and if first guy gets down super quickly, game is over anyway regardless of strategy killer choose.

• Brokenbones

No but the point is if at any point we had stopped to 'do bones' when the bubba was facecamping, he would've easily gotten more kills despite his playstyle.

hell, there are builds out there that are catered towards facecamping - like that one time a streamer did an experiment where he facecamped from the start with perks like corrupt, deadlock, noed etc and won more times than lost.

You can't expect survivors to spend time doing bones when your playstyle boils down to "i'm facecamping lol". That's NOEDs fundemental flaw.

• Virghoul
    Virghoul Member Posts: 64

NOED is a common perk so a lot of newer players get it pretty quickly. It is strong but unless you are using and end game build I think people move on to other perks that will be more useful so the doors do not get powered. Also, if you are newer and doing the Tomb challenges there is one or two, I can't remember, challenges that you need to sacrifice survivors using NOED during EGC. Not saying this is the case for all the matches but it could factor in.

• fulltonon

I think survivors just need to chase better and hook trade, bubba and only bubba can truly facecamp someone to death.

I don't think it's noed problem when it's the case.

• pizzavessel15
    pizzavessel15 Member Posts: 534

noed doesn't need a change. the killer is without a perk the entire match, the perk can completely be countered (like not even activate) by doing all totems or even if there is a hex or boon up on the last totem. you have 3 teammates including you. look for totems throughout the match to counter noed instead of trying to rush gens. if the killer is putting enough pressure on you where you aren't able to do it then odds are you will not even make it to endgame to deal with noed. if the killer is playing badly, you should have plenty of time to look for totems. the more you play the game the easier the totems are to find. if it activates at endgame just leave or risk looking for the totem (which actually isn't hard since a lot of hexes spawn in the open.) survivors keep suggesting "make it on a timer." like they literally have before. it used to be a regular perk with no counter, then it was nerfed. it was on a 120 second timer but then they changed it straight up to a hex.

• AsherFrost
    AsherFrost Member Posts: 2,340

Probably because they've noticed, as have I, that the repeated complaints tend to come from the same small group of people. Sure, there's a new thread every day, but that's not overly difficult or impressive when you realize it's the same half dozen or so people just making the same thread multiple times per week/month.

Or because despite the complaints, noed likely just doesn't effect kill rates enough to worry about. If X killer with noed gets a 53% kill rate, and without gets a 52% (for example) then it's just not enough to bother.

• fulltonon

"they are minority so their opinion doesn't matter" is worst thing you can tell.

• NerfedFreddy
    NerfedFreddy Member Posts: 394

NOED should get DS treatment, currently this perk rewards lame killer players too much

• ShinobuSK
    ShinobuSK Member Posts: 5,279

Devs dont love or hate perks. Only players have emotional attachment to something like this.

Its about stats. And stats show that Noed isnt that big of a game changer as we may think?

Same reason Alchemist ring wasnt nerfed or why 3 blink add on got buffed.

Logic says something else but what can they do if data shows these add ons are either barely used, or barely affect killrates in games they are used?

• Sepex
    Sepex Member Posts: 1,451

Noed is like hockey...actually no it isn't.

• AnchorTea
    AnchorTea Member Posts: 1,019

That honestly may be the case. When NOED works the extreme snowball is ludicrous. It cannot happen every match, but the chance of turnarounds potentially happening is substantial.

• Senpai_J
    Senpai_J Member Posts: 62

NOED while not fun to play against at all does turn unbalanced map/meta into a 1~2 kill on the statistics so maybeeee that's what made them think it's fine?

I think from the way DBD is designed (NOED, DS, DH, COH, or even map designs), devs dont seem take into account if the process of the game is fun, skilled and fair if in the end the kills and escapes are balanced, so in this twisted logic NOED actually balances statistics out. You could make the sick plays on both sides but it would in the end get invalidated by some BS perks. But hey 2 kills 2 escape.

• Reshy
    Reshy Member Posts: 402

It's probably because they don't want to go through the effort of making killer viable once all the generators are done, so NOED fills the spot as a "whatever" perk they can reference any time people say killers aren't threatening in end-game.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095

I assume that the kill stats would be way lower without NOED. So nerfing or removing it would force the devs to make a lot of balance changes to all killers.