The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Is Circle of Healing bad for DBD?

2»

Comments

• NOEDENJOYER
    NOEDENJOYER Member Posts: 237

As already said, healing speeds were already a problem. If you went against four survivors whom each had their own med-kit prior to COH existing, you had to same issue of struggling to apply pressure because everyone was constantly healthy. Although med-kits are a finite resource and could be countered with franklins.

However, now COH has simply made that issue even worse, it essentially gives everyone an infinite med-kit to heal themselves and each other even though only one person brings the perk, so in a SWF, one person brings the boon and the other three survivors have essentially an infinite med-kit, and 4 stacked meta perks that give them a second chance.

It's honestly broke the balance of the game even further, M1 Killers are even more obsolete and it's made tunnelling/camping a must-do strategy against good survivors who bring COH. But even as a killer main, I do NOT want to have to tunnel someone out of the game to win, I want to go for 12 hooks (preferably hooking everyone twice before killing anyone) and still have a chance at a decent result, not sweat for a 2k by tunnelling/camping.

It's miserable for everyone, really.

• NOEDENJOYER
    NOEDENJOYER Member Posts: 237

This idea that COH would become balanced by merely having a disable function with the perk once snuffed out is an oversight. Snuffing out a boon which breaks the totem, or snuffing the boon which disables the perk for 1-2 minutes will do absolutely nothing.

The problem with Circle of Healing is not only the immense healing speeds it provides to destroy a killer's pressure, but also that it is the only boon in the game that incentives the survivors to place away from the killer's presence. If the survivors use the boon optimally and place COH in a dead zone, where the killer has no incentive to go into that area because there's nothing to protect or pressure, then the survivors put the killer into a lose-lose situation. If they go to snuff it out, they're walking out of the way of the other generators/survivors they should protect, giving up precious pressure they work hard to maintain. If they leave it up, the survivors have infinite med-kits to deny the killer any ability to snowball. And even if the killer breaks it, it can be replaced quite quickly.

Disabling the perk, even permanently once snuffed will do nothing, especially against SWF's where it's common to see 2-3 of the survivors running it. So, great, you just snuffed a boon and disabled the perk, but the second survivor comes along and places theres down. And if you're going into a dead zone to break COH more than once, you've already lost the game.

It is fundamentally flawed in how it works, every other boon needs to be near the killer to work and this provides an opportunity to snuff it out and not lose too much pressure. So a disable function would work with these boons, but not with COH.

It needs an entire rework or to be deleted, and neither will happen because the developers don't do anything remotely intelligent at balancing their game.

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,695

Well they said they’re monitoring COH so more changes could happen.

• Hermit
    Hermit Member Posts: 388

Useless... because of a one-time use... like hex perks?

Nevermind, there are four survivors and everyone of them can bring a boon totem so it's four boons vs. one hex.

• deKlaw_04
    deKlaw_04 Member Posts: 3,660

I meant boons in general. Circle of healing is the only good boon. The other 3 are not worth bringing. Making them a one time would make ss, exponential and dark theory even worse. I think a cool down is the way to go. But if circle of healing is still “game breaking” then we can look to see what other nerfs we can give it. I have seen some pretty terrible Ideas like “snuffing a totem puts u in the dying state.” It got nerfed 2 already and the devs said they would do it again

• Sluzzy
    Sluzzy Member Posts: 3,130

Is it strategic or is it the first totem they could find? Survivors don't have that kind of time to roam around the map. It isn't a free self-care, because it has to be setup first. There has to be an incentive to the time sink in finding and blessing a totem or it would make way more sense to use self-care. Hex totems are harder to find than boon totems. I've literally seen killers walk by boon totems, immediately disable it, and carry on about their chase and down the survivor. It only takes the killer a second to disable it whereas it takes several seconds for survivor to disable a hex perk. A healing perk has to be re-blessable. They are not even close to the power of Ruin, Blood Favor, Devour Hope...

• Majin151
    Majin151 Member Posts: 1,270

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure they issued out temp bans for them lol

• Krazzik
    Krazzik Member Posts: 2,475

Removing the aura of the boon wouldn't really affect SWFs but would nerf solo survivors, only serving to increase the difference in strength between them. This is really -not- what we should be doing in balancing DBD.

• GreaseFace
    GreaseFace Member Posts: 39

I had a game exactly like this last night except i was a survivor and the boon was juuust far enough to disinterest the killer. Pyramid Head wouldn’t dedicate to chasing anyone so the match lasted 27 minutes with all of us tapping the same 3 gens.

• Jaxton2000
    Jaxton2000 Member Posts: 162

No they aren't, speaking that a lot of survivors actually get rid of totems for noed, and some just because they want to.

• Krazzik
    Krazzik Member Posts: 2,475

People need to stop suggesting nerfs to boons in general. COH is the -only- problem boon, Shadow Step and Expontential are fine, argueably weak even. Heck even the new boon sounds fairly weak because it has the same problem that Expo and SS have, you -have- to be being chased near the boon to get value out of it.

This is the big difference between COH and the others. With Shadow Step you have to be chased near the boon to get the stratch-marks hiding value. With Exponential you have to go down near the boon, and get left slugged. And for the new one you also have to be chased near the boon to get any use. Meanwhile COH can be placed anywhere and survivors can freely just head over to it and heal anytime. You don't need to be chased near it, you don't need to be injured near it, you don't need to be downed or hooked near it. This is the big issue and why the other boons are so much weaker than COH.

• FFirebrandd
    FFirebrandd Member Posts: 2,445

I believe you are incorrect. Outside of certain issues where Boons don't have any sort of Y value check... the further the boon is from where things are happening, the less efficient using it is. If Survivors have to travel 20 seconds to get in range of the boon... is it still worth it? I'm not sure it is. To double down on that we could also lower boon range somewhat in addition to the drawbacks for it getting snuffed.

• Holylock
    Holylock Member Posts: 82

If you remove the Aura of the Totem for other Survivors, COH become a swf only perk and that's terrible. How i think boon totems should work: everytime a survivor boon a new totem, they gain 8 (maybe a little lower) seconds penalty, that gives survivors a chose if they want waste more time boon a totem or do gens.  

• Reshy
    Reshy Member Posts: 402

Is it free selfcare, booning a dull totem is 14 seconds, and healing's 18 seconds or so. It's almost identical in duration aside from finding a place to heal. Even with self-care though you don't want to mend in a dead zone in a sight line of the killer.

Yep, that's the real problem is it's the only boon in the game that works when the killer isn't nearby.

• MrPenguin
    MrPenguin Member Posts: 2,425
    edited February 2022

Boons in general were a bad idea in their current implementation, COH is just the worst offender.

• Predated
    Predated Member Posts: 2,976

It has, a 14 or 24 second cooldown excluding the time it takes to get to the totem/find a new one.

• Predated
    Predated Member Posts: 2,976

The aura's are one of the few reasons why boons work for solo survivor. CoH for solo survivors is basically the SWF variant of saying "hey, let's meet up here and heal up". The aura is absolutely necessary.

My biggest issue is that it's actually Sphere of Healing instead of Circle of Healing.

• gentacle
    gentacle Member Posts: 260

Circle of Healing must be the funnest perk in the world for survivors to willingly wait 5-10 minutes in queue at primetime to use it so I can imagine this is the conflict the devs have with removing/nerfing it.

As a lot of other people have touched on, CoH's existence/the threat of CoH means that the winning condition for killers in a match shifts to immediate tunneling/camping. We're in a meta where taking the DS/DH/BT after a hook is a massive timesaver a majority of the time compared to letting CoH run rampant. If we're being honest with ourselves, we're all playing a video game versus other people to win (barring the people truly playing "just for fun and to have a good time" but does that sound like your fellow dbd community members, truthfully? :) ) and I fully acknowledge that people are going to use it for that reason.

As a killer main, I personally don't view CoH as healthy for the game in any form but neither do I blame people for being results oriented and using it. It's taken the place of old OoO but isn't relegated to being powerful just in a swf. That being said, the adaptation for me has been to go hot out of the gate and deal with whatever post game salt may come.

• tesla
    tesla Member Posts: 446

The interaction is only one second, and a killer should only disable exactly in the case you mentioned - if they are walking by it. Going upstairs to snuff a totem is a huge amount of time, if survivors don't have the time to roam around the map, much less the killer. And hex totems are very rarely hard to find, usually they are shining like a christmas tree in the open, also there are maps and perks to find them. CoH is much more powerful than ruin, most killers don't even use it anymore, but CoH you can find most matches. Blood favor is rarely used too.

• Ooga
    Ooga Member Posts: 33
    edited February 2022

Giving survivors unlimited, fast healing has killed the hit and run play style.

survivors can now skip bringing the med kits and now just bring tool boxes and new parts.

faster gens = fewer chases

perks that take killers away from hooks are nerfed or effected by boons (BBQ, Bitter, NC)

Killers need a counter to boons or camping and camping killers will stay the current meta.

I think all killers should be able to see the boons. That would create true counter play.

• LeFennecFox
    LeFennecFox Member Posts: 1,233

Fast heals especially fast self caring is insanely strong. Most of the issues with COH are map ones though like it being a 1 minute walk to snuff a totem temporarily. M1 killers/Hit & run playstyles are just dead now.

• Ryuhi
    Ryuhi Member Posts: 3,733
    edited February 2022

Just make it so boon totems can be destroyed. indirectly nerfs noed and buffs pentimento to boot, feels like a win/win to me.

Actually, you know what? Since the other boons require the killer being nearby to benefit, make it so you have to be in the TR to get any benefit from CoH. Keeps it in line with the others, makes it more risky, and improves value from nurses substantially.