We have temporarily disabled Firecrackers and the Flashbang Perk due to a bug which could cause the Killer's game to crash. These will be re-enabled in an upcoming patch when the issue is resolved.

Justify Camping first hooked player

Evilius
Evilius Member Posts: 22

I'd love to see some attempts to justify this thing that has become about 80% of matches against killers.

Comments

• SuzuKR
    SuzuKR Member Posts: 3,910

It's not against the rules, and reckless facecamping is easy to punish through the survivors playing smart.

• Junylar
    Junylar Member Posts: 2,005

It's a form of protest against the current state of the game and the devs' attitude towards the players.

• Evilius

I guess I should have specified that I meant camping the first player hooked ASWELL as every subsequent player hooked.

• TheSubstitute
    TheSubstitute Member Posts: 2,457

Most commonly, it's a terrible strategy if your goal is to 4K, get BP or earn pips if the survivors play smart. If the survivors, as a whole not singularly, are not of at least above average capabilities then the survivors will make mistakes and give the killer a 4K which makes it a good tactical decision if the survivors mess up.

As the killer rises in MMR, they'll run into survivors who that doesn't work on and get stuck floundering gaining and losing MMR until their chase and strategic play improve. At that point, they'll feel it is the only way to secure a kill and it probably is at that MMR point since the system only measures kills.

Or as @ThatOneDemoPlayer or @BasementDweller stated, the hooked survivor is in a 3 gen or there are other survivors around. If the Killer leaves at that point it's because the Killer is being generous and that should be appreciated and not expected.

• Marc_123
    Marc_123 Member Posts: 3,555

A chase with only a hit and no down is almost completely wasted time as healing is very fast nowadays.

If you can you down - if you then camp you try to secure that and also get a 3vs1 early on it is a great advantage.

Plus all the good arguments above.

• cluxdx
    cluxdx Member Posts: 168

Okay then, let me give you a parable.

Let's say I chase a survivor and down them. Immediately upon hooking that person I see two survivors in the distance who are running directly at the hook before I even had the chance to leave. Now I know those two survivors are not doing the objective, leaving at most a single person on gens. It takes 120 seconds for someone to die on hook, and if those other survivors keep trying to run around me that means I either guarantee a trade or outright kill a survivor, and they can only complete one gen in that time since there is only one person doing the objective.

Do some killers camp purely out of spite? Sure, but not most. Most of the time when you get camped it's because your teammates dove at the hook and gave the killer no reason to leave.

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,634

Forcing at least a second hook stage early on and capitalising on potential altruism is sound strategy, and some find the prospect of defending a hook authentically fun.

The problem isn't necessarily the players doing it. Some are doing it to annoy you, some are doing it because it can be good strategy sometimes, some just like that gameplay, some actually aren't camping but get accused of it anyway... it's impossible to ascertain why and therefore isn't worth bothering with. The game should just be tweaked slightly to make it less annoying and easier to deal with.

• Evilius

Oh yeah I don't personally count it as camping when you're being 'kept' there by other survivors, I only count the instances where a killer had plenty time to leave and go look for other survivors or check generators.

• cluxdx
    cluxdx Member Posts: 168

The problem there is your post indicates the majority of games someone camps, but in my experience the vast majority of the time someone camps is because someone either gave them a reason to, or the survivors simply just let them get away with it.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

I don't do it because I think it's bad strategy so I won't try and justify it.

• Smeagolthevile
    Smeagolthevile Member Posts: 175

This is where the bad playstyles come from, its this thought process. 'its not against the rules' but its bad sportsmanship. Its a BG to your other players, its you being a sore winner. Same goes for mass flashlight clicking and tea bagging at the exit gate. Just because its allowed doesn't mean you arent a flying ######### for doing it.

• AsherFrost
    AsherFrost Member Posts: 2,340

If the team has shown to be very altruistic, it's the easy way to keep them all off of gens, slowing their progress tremendously without having to really sweat, just letting them come to you.

• Bullettimegod
    Bullettimegod Member Posts: 994

Eyy your back. The glory of spirit will reign forever!

• Gamedozer7
    Gamedozer7 Member Posts: 2,657

Because this game doesn't award you for chases and hooks only kills.

Kills=skills

• deKlaw_04
    deKlaw_04 Member Posts: 3,660

I don’t camp first hook at 5 gens, boring and toxic in my opinion. Now this only applies if there are survivors far away from the hook. If they are near it’s not my fault.

• scoser
    scoser Member Posts: 482

I'm surprised this thread isn't already at 20 pages of justifications given that 90% of my survivor games this weekend have had a killer camping the very first player downed at 5 gens.

• Bullettimegod
    Bullettimegod Member Posts: 994
    edited March 2022

Welp. Guess imma have to say it and ruffle some feathers.

Killers. Despite your popular belief shouldnt have to care if survivors have fun, just as most survivors dont care if killers have fun. The goal for killers are to kill. Not babysit people ensuring they have a fun time, like some over glorified host that the entity kidnapped who just so happens to kill people. Like imagine trapper in a tux "can i offer you a hook or two master survivors". (Would actually buy some tux skins on some killers)

The easiest way to ensure 4k is to kill a surv very early on. It completely shifts the power. If a killer wants to win. This is one of the best strategies. And one of the easiest.

Now im sure players with <insert x amount of hours> are gonna reply and tell me how only newbs, bad players, toxic killers etc etc camps.

So here is my question, and pls i want actual feedback not "because its boring for survivors" why shouldn't a killer camp if he wants to win and its early game and he catches survivor early?

Basically justify why if i want to win, why i shouldn't camp of youre caught hella early?

Edit: i would like to tell people what i say on this forum isnt how i act in the game. I dont camp unless i have to. I just am tired of reading bad players bringing down other players because they didnt play how they wanted.

Post edited by Bullettimegod on
  • Evilius

Please clarify this for me? Personally I get more points playing 'normally' even if all 4 survivors escape.

• Brimp
    Brimp Member Posts: 2,939

I want to win in what could be the easiest way?

• Tdáh
    Tdáh Member Posts: 4

campers are just the GenZ of gamers.

• Gamedozer7

The thing is once you have everything BP is pointless so when you chase and hook you don't gain mmr therefore focusing on kills is all that's really left.

Me personally I don't camp in any game because I find it boring even at end game chances are ill go try and get a few more chases in.

• MrPeanutbutter
    MrPeanutbutter Member Posts: 1,586

Because people can player however they want to play as long as it’s not breaking the rules

• Evilius
    edited March 2022

And what does gaining mmr give you? Can you tell your mmr? My experience is that mmr doesn't seem to count for anything. I get up against as many beginners as I get up against people with 1000hrs+ its pretty damn random.

• Gamedozer7

Honestly I have no idea why so many killers are so concerned about mmr it just gives you harder and more sweaty games. I understand stand why survivors want to push up there mmr because in theory you would be getting better teammates.

Ever since the release of mmr the community has become opposed with the invisible number.

• TotemSeeker91
    TotemSeeker91 Member Posts: 2,358

Because killers don't need justification for a playstyle they enjoy

• GannTM
    GannTM Member Posts: 10,875
  • ukenicky
    ukenicky Member Posts: 1,352

BHVR needs to address face camping. Imagine if survivors could guarantee 1-2 escapes no matter what, killers would be upset. With face camping + a build centered around it/the end game a killer can get an easy kill and likely more very easily. 4ks using this method against solo queue survivors are not uncommon as survivors don't have enough time to complete all gens and then also cleanse all bones to not be killed by NOED before the first person dies on hook.

But it's whatever, camping is the best way for killers to play right now since they can't get kills otherwise if we are to go by the things they say (I really don't believe this).

I've honestly quit playing the game for the most part because of 9/10 survivor matches involving face campers like this. The rare times I do play I play killer and have fun playing the game normally but that doesn't last long since I get bored playing alone and just move on to a different game where i can play with friends.

• TotemSeeker91
    TotemSeeker91 Member Posts: 2,358

I believe that's just what the MMR system looks at now, while you get gold emblems and stuff, it still pips you down I think? I'm pretty sure that's the logic behind it

• GannTM
    GannTM Member Posts: 10,875

I will not rest until everyone knows who the real queen is...

• RenRen
    RenRen Member Posts: 1,443

To guarantee a kill?

• Evilius

But why are people so obsessed with mmr though when it clearly doesn't work, kills or no kills i'm seemingly just as likely to get up against a survivor with perks from mutiple characters as I am to get up against a survivor who didn't even realize they could pick 1 perk.

• SunsetSherbet
    SunsetSherbet Member Posts: 1,607

A 3 v 1 is easier to win than a 4 v 1. The killer is trying to win the game.

• psionic
    psionic Member Posts: 670

Complaining about camping is the same as to complain about survivors looping, gen rushing, body blocking.

Honestly, you should be concerned about the way your teammates are playing, not about your adversary. 

The killer is not there to make easier for you.

• shelobster
    shelobster Member Posts: 272

Be Wraith. Zero skill. Camp first person to death. Lose anyway. Repeat.

• Thusly_Boned
    Thusly_Boned Member Posts: 2,930

Other than to be a dick, or to secure a kill because you're so insecure that you doubt you'll get another, there is one obvious and legit reason: altruism.

You have to give the killer cause to move away from the hook. If the killer hooks someone, and immediately teammates start moving in, why would they leave? I don't know how many times I have seen survs pooping their pants with rage over a "camper" how only stayed around the hook because they descended on it like a plague of locusts. The killer is not obligated to immediately move away after every hook.

But beyond that, I don't see much reason to camp on the first hook.

• Evilius

I don't really get what you're trying to say with that, this is a discussion about facecamping. people facecamping each person they hook.

• Thusly_Boned
    Thusly_Boned Member Posts: 2,930

Doing it at the beginning is a huge gamble that they rest are going to be altruistic. If they aren't, the camping greatly reduces your chances of winning. imo. 3 v 1 is better, but if you're down 3-4 gens by that point, you're probably not winning.

• Evilius

Well thats the thing, I see killers facecamping the first person they hook till they die regardless of if the other survivors try to help or not. with the people I play with, as soon as we see that its a camper, we just have the hooked person not struggle and stay alive when approaching the end as the rest of us are doing a generator each. most campers will just let us finish all 5 gens before the hooked person dies.

• AnnaEliza365
    AnnaEliza365 Member Posts: 141

It makes the game easier. Done. Justified. The killers goal is to sacrifice all survivors. Getting one out of the game immediately makes that easier. Same reason why survivors bring Prove Thyself, toolboxes, Built to Last, and BNP to pop as many gens before the first down. It makes their game easier.