Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

How burned out are you?

Brokenbones
Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,167

Wanted to make a thread talking about the issue of burnout and wanted to see if I could get some insight into various things like what causes people to be burned out from DBD, what they do about it, if they bother to keep trying or just stop playing all together.

For those interested in the thread:

On a scale of 1-9 with 1 being not at all and 9 being burned out to the point of not playing anymore, how burned out are you with DBD.

Feel free to be as brief or long-winded as you like with any explanation you want to give. This doesn't have to strictly be any particular thing either it could be which ever side you prefer to play, a character you main etc.

For those wondering why I'm making this thread, after today's session with the game I'm feeling pretty disappointed with it. Not because the new content is particularly bad or anything, the Ringu chapter is pretty well made and I can't really find fault with it.

My issue at the moment is it feels like all my attempts to try and be the change I want to see with this game always falls flat. Mainly on the survivor side, I'm not burned out with Killer necessarily i just don't feel like playing it. This isn't gonna be a rant about matchmaking or anything of the sort, I'm just not enjoying my matches and I feel powerless to do anything about it, leading to my frustration and burnout with the game.

I know a bunch of people have been making a big thing of the whole steam chart situation, I don't know how to feel about it myself since it's not the whole picture - consoles aren't included and neither are the other PC platforms.

TL;DR - How burned out are you with DBD on a scale of 1-9 and why?

Comments

• deKlaw_04
    deKlaw_04 Member Posts: 3,660

2 not much burn out I love playing the game but garbage teammates ruin it. And the grind is ridiculous.

• Brokenbones

Yeah the teammate conundrum is one that causes me a lot of frustration as well

I'm being put against competent killers and while that's not the problem, the problem is as 1 member of a team there's only so much I can do to affect the outcome of a match. Sometimes feels somebody can play perfectly but they lose because 1 person didn't bring DS and gets tunnelled out.

• Smoe
    Smoe Member Posts: 2,845
    edited March 2022

Ain't burned out on my end, also the steam chart numbers are gonna stabilize themselves sooner or later anyway, only a matter of time.

• Brokenbones

I'm not saying that won't happen, the reason I mentioned the steamchart thing is because I don't think we have the full picture

Consoles has probably had more players than PC for a long time now and they aren't included, so.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

On the scale of 1 to Freddy.

• Yatol
    Yatol Member Posts: 1,955

8 but i blame the last rift, im not participating in this one.

• Brokenbones

What didn't you like about the last rift?

The challenges or the items on the rift itself?

• VaJaybles
    VaJaybles Member Posts: 658

I'd say 7.

Went from playing almost everyday for hours on end

To

Maybe 2/3 times for an hour if that. I want to enjoy the game

• Jacoby2041
    Jacoby2041 Member Posts: 843
    edited March 2022

I have barely played the game since they added boons (not due to boons, I still don't like them though) I watch people play/talk about it but playing the game myself is just too boring and monotonous. I always try to come up with new ideas of perks and builds and stuff to do but it's never enough. I always get tired after a few rounds and have nothing to alleviate that boredom

That being said, I'm still here, trying to make it work. Maybe one of these days I'll find the magic killer or the magic perks or the magic setup that will make me want to keep playing, but they never add anything that's actually new besides a power and some perks and they don't seem to be changing that any time soon. Sometimes they talk about new stuff and I get excited but it never happens, it's just soon.exe

That being said though I feel like I've had a pretty good break (I did play some during this time but not a lot) and I think if I get into a killer I hadn't played much before I could find something to refresh my experience a bit. That's all a big fat maybe though. Maybe I'll just get burnt out again, who knows

• ohheyitsbobcat
    ohheyitsbobcat Member Posts: 1,713

Like a 2 if even that. I basically only play DBD with my buddy on survivor and as killer I play only for the challenges and tend to mess around when I do. Once the tome is done I don't play at all until the next one. This gives me a lot of time to rest and basically keeps my burnout at zero.

DBD is a game I enjoy playing on both sides but not one where I want to play it everyday. It's one of those games I just like to play now and again. The tomes give me reason to play more than I otherwise would but not enough that it feels like a slog.

That said, before they lowered the exp requirement it was starting to get to me and I don't know if I would have keep it up. My burnout at that time was probably around a 5-6 and growing.

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

my DbD consumption has dropped pretty steadily over time.

when i was new i played this game daily and for hours at a time. There was always something new to learn and improve in, so i got hooked (pun intended) and really enjoyed watching myself grow.

at one point i hit a roadblock: the poor balance of this game. however, i was enthusiastic and kept going, improving more and grinding towards my final goal of having all Killers P3 with all Perks.

this roadblock however stayed with me ever since. yes they have made improvements to fight it in the past and i was very grateful for those, but somehow the imbalances never stopped (it was much later that i realized why). However, i started closing in on the skill ceiling of the game (im not saying i hit it and am now perfect at everything - that would be a blatant lie - but i learned less and less and the new things i did discover didnt help massively anymore. its the super small stuff, like saving .5 seconds by lunging when dropping).

Ive gotten to the point where i was very good at this game - after almost 5.000 hours that is to be expected after all. However, now more than ever is when i felt that roadblock of imbalance hit. Because i now no longer had the feeling that things were going wrong due to my own skill lacking or me making wrong decisions, but rather because the game is just extremely unfair to you at times. This is where i started being very frustrated with DbD and at this point i was really only playing to earn BP and spend them on my Killers to max them out and achieve that goal, i was in it for the grind alone.

When Deathslinger dropped that changed a bit again - i finally found a character who i enjoyed again, someone with a completely new skillset and gameplay and after not too long i was maining him. I almost exclusively played this character, going through the very journed i went through with the game itself back in the day. I was actually enjoying my time with DbD again (ive only ever had this with two other characters in this game - Trapper and Doctor, my first two mains). But just like before, i hit that point in time where i felt like i had pretty much mastered that character. Nevertheless, i kept playing him alost exclusively because i still really liked his fast paced, action filled gameplay that rewarded you for good reaction times and accuracy - he was still challenging but fun to play.

However, this didnt last. The Devs were well on their way of pushing the MMR system at that point and from all the test phases of said system i noticed one thing more and more: the imbalances. the original big roadblock in my way to having fun in DbD - because the more "balanced" your opponents become, the more obvious and in your face all the imbalances of this game become too. I spoke out against it numerous times - heck i remember their last big MMR test run where i literally quit and went on a multiple week long break from this game on day 2 of the test week out of pure frustration (i even made a pretty long post about it here, which, to this day, i see as my final goodbye to DbD and the explanation to why i finally did quit - even if some of the brought points ended up being outdated).

So when MMR fully dropped, i have had enough. ive only been in for the grind anyway at this point in time and the amount of frustration i had to power through was in no way worth the reward of having all Killers P3 with all Perks anymore, so i quit.

i've been hovering the forums ever since (with decreasing activity) and cant say that the changes the Devs have made since then did a good job at bringing me back - in fact, they just pushed me further away from the game. The closest ive gotten to returning was in McLeans final update (forgot which number that was) after they released Part 1 - all of which sounded amazing to me! and then Part 2 came in and completely ruined this update for me again, due to the introduction of Boon Totems, as well as the, and i stand by this up to this day and probaply the day that i leave my final comment on this forum and waste my final thought on DbD, completely unnecessary, unfair and infuriatingly stupid Deathslinger gutting.

its a shame, because up to this day i think of DbD as a great concept of a game, but the way it has been mishandled over the years has finally taken its toll and driven me away from it, and, as it stands right now, for good.

when i quit i started thinking a lot about this game, its problems and the roots of these issues and came to the conclusion that this game is fundamentally flawed in the way it has been build from the very start. All the changes that imrpoved the game ended up not actually addressing the actual problem and instead created a band aid fix to distract from it. thing is, you dont heal a flesh wound by putting a couple of band aids on it, so in the long run those just didnt work out.

I am at a point where i think the only way where these can be addressed was by BHVR creating a Dead by Daylight 2 where they fundamentally rework the game and the way it works.

its sad that im so pessimistic over this game after so many years, but i cant help it. the last but of hope i had was that "the imbalances wont matter that much, as this is but a casual party game", which got snuffed out when the Devs decided to push a competetive matchmaking system without realizing how incompatable such a system really is for a game like this. thats like implementing a competetive MMR system into Mario Party, it simply doesnt work - and we're experiencing just that right now.

and funnily enough, at least for long time players who are skilled at this game, the MMR system being completely dysfunctional is probaply the best case scenario. i guarantee you, had that system actually worked a LOT more people would have quit the game by now, simply due to how insufferable "high level DbD" actually is.

• Barbarossa2020
    Barbarossa2020 Member Posts: 1,369

Im pretty chill but dbd isn't the only game i play.

Im also a Killer main so any frustration is generally at myself for bad choices and rng, I find survivor more frustrating, go repair, go heal well im looping, it doesn't need to be a spectator sport.

• cutiekiller
    cutiekiller Member Posts: 238

Everything you said here is absolutely how I feel as well, I loved this game before MMR and the imbalance showed up only a few times because I wasn't always dealing with survivors knowing exactly what they are doing and so had a good time, now it's pure stress and pressure all the damn time and also the DS nerf totally ruined one of the few killers I still felt true enjoyement playing, he wasn't the best but in good hands he was a very very very good killer, I was 4K 95% of the time with him, now with his nerf, 2 kills is my average, they changed trickster and made him slightly worse in my opinion, ruining him again, especially since they fully added his 32 meters lullaby, can't have my 16 meters range killer anymore AGAIN, they nerfed spirit AGAIN.

They do 1 change to survivors but it always cost 5 changes to killers, I can't enjoy the game anymore, these devs are killing their game and we can see it with how many players quit the game and constantly lose players, I hope it keeps dropping until they finally move their asses and see they don't know better what's for the game, they don't, never did, maybe early on, but not anymore, again they will add a band-aid fix for queue times instead if fixing why there's not enough killers, they only do band-aids, they never fix the issues of the game.

Since the map rework they made them arguably more survivor sided than before, especially coldwind farm maps, the game as well, everything is so damn survivor sided now, hit and run, dead because of CoH, about to end the chase or outplayed them, E to extend the chase for idk how long, hook someone, hook somebody else, find the one you hooked before since you couldn't find anybody else, DS because tunneled, the game holds the survivors hand so damn much and killers are completely on their own.

Killer isn't fun anymore since survivors have 16 perks to help them survive way more while killers are stuck with 4 tiny perks that barely help and when you use one that can make a huge difference it's gone in 10 seconds at the start of the match.

Survivors have everything to survive, killers have too little to kill, the game is ruined, the devs are truly killing their own game now, they truly do, and they do nothing about it, their incompetence will doom this game.

• MrPeanutbutter
    MrPeanutbutter Member Posts: 1,586

Pretty burned out now. I’m enjoying the game less and less and have gotten to the point where I’m only playing a couple times a week

• Aurelle
    Aurelle Member Posts: 3,611

Very much. I'm tired of camping, tunneling, and slugging. I'm tired of gen rushing and high tier survivor groups. I'm tired of getting teammates who doesn't do anything or purposefully works with the killer. It's just really exhausting at this point.

I've been taking a break from this game for a couple of days and planning on to continue doing so until this game gets somewhat fixed or when I feel like playing again. Right now the game is just dull and boring, even with Sadako's chapter coming out today.

• Brokenbones

I share the same feelings really

A lot of the matches feel the same now

Either 3 gens pop and the killer has to camp one dude out or the killer proactively tunnels one dude out from the get-go

I can go on like 8+ death streak and still be paired with nurse players with almost triple my hours. Escape Based Matchmaking makes no sense

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,752

Shockingly only around a 3. I haven't played much over the past half a month ever since I finished the rift so I've had plenty of time to recover and now I feel good playing for a while.

• fulltonon
    fulltonon Member Posts: 5,762
    edited March 2022

That's just matchmaking literally not working due to lack of killers, they threw anything they found at you, while intentionally ignoring MMR for que time.

Also do note MMR decrease will be negated in some degree if you die quickly because "probably match wasn't balanced", they acknowledge this system and made it so MMR will take it into consideration.

• Bartlaus
    Bartlaus Member Posts: 1,026

Since I've stopped taking the game too seriously and not playing too much Killer, I'd say 1-2

• Brokenbones

If there's no killers then why is killer que time so high

I shouldn't go on death streaks and face BETTER killers with triple my hours back to back. That makes literally no sense

• fulltonon
    fulltonon Member Posts: 5,762

Well, opposite can happen I suppose.

If there is not enough survivors YOU will be throwed at any killers waiting for long time, either way it's caused by que imbalance.

It literally makes no sense simply because this is not meant to, it's more or less working as intended.

• StarLost
    StarLost Member Posts: 8,077

Right now? Probably due to the number of Sadakos floating around.

That said - matchmaking has been all over the place recently, especially offpeak. It's probably to do with the massive decline in player numbers.

• Huntar
    Huntar Member Posts: 848

9, and have been for a few months. Used to play daily, but the game balance just kept getting worse. Eventually, I just uninstalled and have only been checking in on the PTBs to see how the new killers feel. Like the old quote goes, "If it feels bad, play something else. I heard Civ V is pretty good," and I've been taking it to heart. Only checked the forum since I saw the ad for the new chapter on Steam, and saw they seem to have learned nothing since the last time I checked.

• Swiftblade131
    Swiftblade131 Member Posts: 2,050
    edited March 2022

I get on to collect the free stuff and codes and MAYBE play a match or 2. I wouldn't say I play more than 3 times a week total, and that is stretching it.

The game has improved in many ways since the very beginning, don't get it twisted. The game is a far cry from what it used to be. But I feel like it really apexed at some point. For me personally, that would be at Clown's patch. Probably one of the best patches and least controversial killer, survivor, and perks being released. It was just a solid patch. And then we got Legion... After that I don't feel like I need to explain much.

I actually just recently uninstalled the game completely, since I had not touched it for about 2 months straight, didn't even consider playing it with some of the newer games coming.

It's a shame, but DBD just isn't it anymore. The reasoning goes deep, but I am not about to go down that rabbit hole right now, already been there many times.

I probably won't reinstall for a while, not even for the anniversary event, those are still bad to.

Billy Main Forever though. Good luck out there

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,966

9 I haven't played the game for like 4 weeks at this point much more entertaining games like dying light 2 and max payne 3 which I just bought

• StarLost

Out of nine?

Four, maybe - and that's 50% due to the server issues I've had recently. Three if not.

I still have a lot of fun playing this game - despite the fact that it makes me extremely frustrated at times and seems filled with some of the most unpleasant people I've encountered online.

Balance is still iffy, but aside from DH and CoH, it's better than it has been in ages.

• Brokenbones

Wanted to say thank you to everyone who's responded so far!

I appreciate everyone's responses and experiences, short or long

• StarLost

I will say that my 'trick' to staying engaged is to set little challenges for myself that encourage me to play differently.

That, and permanently disabling postgame chat.

What is concerning though is that the playerbase seems to be shrinking at an alarming rate.

• Brokenbones

I do a similar thing as well, I like to mess around with diff perks and such

It's just, whether SBMM or another reason - I struggle to do this because I'm frequently but with opponents who are playing their hardest to win which typically puts me at a disadvantage.

• Yatol
    Yatol Member Posts: 1,955

its not that because i hated the last rift, although some challenges did piss me off, its that rift requires me to play a lot each day, while i like DBD its a game that i like playing for a short amount, the rift requires me to play triple of what I usually play, every time i see i can skip a day and get everything, i take it.

• anarchy753
    anarchy753 Member Posts: 4,212

Very. I really want a break, but I'm not missing out on the goddamn human head for Pig I've been wanting since day 1.

It doesn't help that the most recent tome level was a fun sucking stack of "play x games without any real tome challenge" including kick #########, kill #########, hit #########, emblems, red glyphs etc.

• Mew
    Mew Member Posts: 1,832

probably a solid 7. at this point i only really ever play with friends + a bit of killer (but its usually like 1 or 3 matches a day, if that)

solo survivor is... terrible, i dont think i even have to elaborate lmao. plus mmr kinda killed my enjoyment with my main killers since i only get people who predrop and hold W now.

• MyNameIsNotTim
    MyNameIsNotTim Member Posts: 6

I'm only at level 1 of burnout, but I only started playing in January of this year. I play on console and have put maybe a few hundred hours into the game, about equal time as survivor and killer. Right now, I like playing as each side about the same, though killer is definitely more stressful. When I play survivor, I mostly play solo queue, though I have played a couple times with friends (the ones who introduced me to the game).

I'm really enjoying the game, something about it speaks to me. I love horror movies, so that's part of it, for sure. Right now, I sort of enjoy the grind and even unlocking one teachable perk feels rewarding, like I accomplished something and made steady progress. The tome challenges and daily rituals get me to try killers or things that I wouldn't have thought to do, and I view those mini-goals as how "successful" I was more so than whether I escaped or sacrificed 3+ players.

I'm also pretty bad at the game still, but I'm having fun trying to get better. I still can't loop and can only reach hooks about 75% of the time without Iron Grasp.

How burned out will I be in a year? Who knows. This is the first online multiplayer game I've ever played (I'm traditionally an offline single player gamer, like platformers). I sometimes get burned out on video games completely for months and don't play anything at all, but I always come back.

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,695

Right now i’m probably at a 7, I only play a few times a week.

• Cybil
    Cybil Member Posts: 1,163

"8"

SBMM has really sucked the fun out of the game for solo queue. I keep getting teamed with immersed survivors and as a result my own mmr keeps getting lowered.

-No one wants to work on gens at the start out of fear of being tunneled/camped

-Immersed players don't know when to go for saves

-New players don't have access to windows of opportunity so they go down within 7 seconds of being chased

-The one immersed player who threw the game is given a free pass by the killer (I'm probably guilty of this one)

-Good SWF teammates appear once in a blue moon

-SWF teammates are usually pretty chill but I've had plenty that blame the randoms for everything

-Most of the playerbase is entitled and easily upset

-Being competent at the game will piss the killer off

-Nemesis zombies only work when I'm playing survivor

-Killers camp more than ever and new players don't know how to counter it

-Getting farmed lowers MY mmr

-Getting camped lowers MY mmr

-Running the killer for 3 gens lowers MY mmr

-Using fun builds lowers MY mmr

-Teammates lower MY mmr

-Hackers are everywhere and have me extremely paranoid

The game is seriously at a point where I don't want to play it anymore because I know it will ruin my mood. I'm trying to take the game as casually as I possibly can and tbh it's kind of working, but there's only so much that my own attitude can do. I can run the killer for 2 minutes straight but that doesn't mean my teammates will do anything. Playing killer isn't too bad but I'm genuinely at a point where It's hard for me to justify starting the game up. I could be playing Earthbound, Hades, Celeste, Fire Emblem, RE2/3, VR games, Donkey Kong, Silent Hill 2. Hell, I could be watching the movies that half of the characters come from and I'd still be having a better time than playing this game.

I think the worst part of it is the fact that all of these cross-over characters are from objectively better media (well except Freddy).

• Zboard
    Zboard Member Posts: 88
    edited March 2022

Tired of cancer matches, doesnt matter if i go survivor or killer, always the same, so i just dont play or queue afk as killer (to get rift points while playing other games), and if i end banned is a win win for me, no more temptation to lose time on this game

• PlaysByShady
    PlaysByShady Member Posts: 590

7-8

There's just too many bugs that don't get any attention; for me is when BHVR broke the Controller+Mouse usage last year. There were "attempted" fixes (their words), I don't understand why no-one could buy a DS4 controller, plug it in and make sure the fixes actually worked!

The grind for perks is just ridiculous. And the perks are mostly lacklustre. There's only a few decent ones on both sides so you mostly see the same builds over and over again. There's very little variety or creativity.

It's stopped being fun and more of a grind, and each new chapter doesn't add anything "fun". It's just more grind and stupid challenges in the rift (spin the killer 8x, then jump through a window the moment a generator completes that you worked on for 80% in a previous match).

Playing killer: it seems the only way to "win" is to play sweaty and use OP combination of perks, which is fine. But it also means if you try to experiment, you will lose and you will lose badly and you will be made to feel bad, etc, etc, etc.

As survivor: I play solo, my team-mates are mostly useless across the board (not doing gens, urbanning around, etc) and I've lost count how many times I got one-hooked because there was literally no coordination or strategy employed.

I'm tired of it.

But I like Nurse... she's the only thing keeping me in for now.

• Xyvielia
    Xyvielia Member Posts: 2,415

about this much

• MB666
    MB666 Member Posts: 968

5: horrible map balance (GIANT MAPS / INSANE STRONG LOOPS thanks to RNG / Breakable walls / boon totems and DH) MMR doesnt help..with this also.. 🤔 am thinking to take a break... I mean with MMR I can't play any fun build w/out getting punished by dying even if I loop the killer for more than 3 gens. Same for the killer side the more MMR you get, the more genrushers you find (playing safe every loop / not taking any risk and ending the match in 4 minutes with just 15k BP by holding m1 and not taking more than 1 or 2 chases) that's why I feel forced to run endgame builds all the time.

same dude..same here 😔

• Swampoffering
    Swampoffering Member Posts: 384

8-9

Stopped playing a few days ago and I have Zero interest on waste my money on a killer worst than trapper.

MMR is a pain in the a$$ for main Killers. If DBD is not a competitive Game (Sorry, DBD Comp IMO is a memesport full of pepega players) why is Behaviour using a competitive Matchmaking system turning every Game on a sweatfest.

They are killing the Game and seems that is what they want.

All my love for Mr Patrick and Mr Mathew, the best videogames developers on human history.

Insert pepoclown here

• Ghouled_Mojo
    Ghouled_Mojo Member Posts: 2,287

MMR has taken a lot of joy out of the game.

I didn’t even play yesterday with the new chapter release. That’s very off for me. I did not even have BPs saved up for the new killer.

• AnneBonny
    AnneBonny Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 2,252
    edited March 2022

7 or 8. i'll play a one off match or redeem a code maybe but i just don't have much desire to play anymore. i think i'm starting to get sick of bhvr's scummier practices and the godawful community that surrounds this game, but nothing else can keep my interest long enough to leave.

• ThatOneDemoPlayer
    ThatOneDemoPlayer Member Posts: 5,623

6-7

The game has gotten stale over the last few batch of updates.

Demogorgon is keeping me somewhat interested,Sadako aswell, which I plan on playing until I get all Perks on her

• StarLost

I'm 2 million BP into her currently and have yet to unlock BBQ, which I consider baseline mandatory for me to play a killer.

• Moxie
    Moxie Member Posts: 806

Eight. I play one game a day now and 75% of the time, it's unpleasant.

New Killer was fun for exactly one game.