Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

So 'Sadako Rising' Chapter was revealed early this time, How do you feel about it?

Emeal
Emeal Member Posts: 4,952

Normally BHVR shows us what the chapter is right before the PTB, but this time Sadako Rising was teased on Dec 15, 2021, over 2 months ago. Why? well probably cause they are tired of Leakers being able to benefit from the attention. Terrible when a leak ruins the surprise maybe.

However I personally felt this chapter was very relaxed, usually I feel somewhat anxiety over the surprise usually, I knew what was coming and that really settled things down for me. Much less worry, more enjoy. I have seen some people take issue with it tho, they told me, the chapter has much less hype or its not exciting when you know what's coming. I disagree myself, I savoured this experience. The thought: "omg we gonna get Sadako now" has been in my head for the time, which is exciting without any surprises.

This poll is to ask the community how do you feel about the hype for this chapter and the way BHVR introduced this chapter. Let me know how you think of it with this poll and/or explain further in a reply. Thanks.

So 'Sadako Rising' Chapter was revealed early this time, How do you feel about it? 32 votes

Hype Unimportant, I prefer to know beforehand.
12%
F60_31GarlicRice[Deleted User]Ripley 4 votes
Significantly more excited than normal about chapter / It was nice to know beforehand.
6%
OnryosTapeRentalsbm33 2 votes
Hype was had / It was nice to know beforehand.
3%
Emeal 1 vote
No Hype whatsoever / It was nice to know beforehand.
3%
BothSidesEnjoyer 1 vote
Felt unexcited about chapter (negative hype) / But it was nice to know beforehand.
0%
True Neutral / Don't care when/how chapter is revealed.
12%
ReikoMorimusstang62MrPenguinTatariu 4 votes
Chapter was still hype / But Surprise was ruined.
40%
Seiko300VolantConch1719Mat_SellaTapeKnotTaigaCornpopers_EvanInferno427GannTMHerachi_SakuraGuiltii[Deleted User]SmoeTHDR_ 13 votes
No Hype whatsoever / Surprise was ruined.
9%
SacrilegeGGSebaOutbreakAurelle 3 votes
Felt unexcited about chapter (negative hype) / Surprise was ruined.
6%
Aven_FallenThatOneDemoPlayer 2 votes
Hype Unimportant, I prefer BHVR to keep the Surprise.
6%
Valikmagicmooman 2 votes

Comments

• ThatOneDemoPlayer
    ThatOneDemoPlayer Member Posts: 5,623
    Felt unexcited about chapter (negative hype) / Surprise was ruined.

I never watched Ringu or the Ring so I feel no connection to the license.

The hype was ruined, guessing what Killer we're getting is pretty fun.

The Killer herself, Sadako or The Onryō, is a mess of already existing Killers with no unique features, aside from her quick teleport, which is weaker than Freddy's or Demogorgon's

• Mat_Sella
    Mat_Sella Member Posts: 3,553

I prefer when the teaser is brought without context. Yes, even though it wouldve been extremely obvious the moment the well was shown, it still would've been far more exciting to see rather than to wait the entire time.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,159
    Significantly more excited than normal about chapter / It was nice to know beforehand.

I like the early announcement, gives time to focus on discussing what will come in the new chapter instead of just a ridiculous amount of "this is why is should be the chapter I want" flooding the forums.

• Emeal
    Emeal Member Posts: 4,952
    Hype was had / It was nice to know beforehand.

I can get behind this sentiment. I too am tired of here is why X teaser is Springtrap.

• Tatariu
    Tatariu Member Posts: 3,068

I think I'm neutral honestly. I care more about mid-chapters than actual chapter releases, so I don't really care how or when BHVR reveal a chapter.

• Valik
    Valik Member Posts: 1,274
    Hype Unimportant, I prefer BHVR to keep the Surprise.

It would be best if the cycle was quick.

Announcement: THE RINNGGG!! TRY IT TODAY!

PTB is out in hours

Everyone is riding the high.

Just a couple of weeks before it goes live.

Little tweaks and balance updates every couple of days.

Turn the entire 3 week experience into a giant fiesta. Really be intentional with your market and create a customer facing pipeline that encourages engagement.

You want people to take time off work to play your game, not forgetting the release date because it's been two months since it was announced.

IMO here's what I heard when the chapter was announced:

"Hi! We're Behavior! Sorry we screwed up. We've had the worst fourth quarter in company history and we'd really like to change things for our investors, but this is looking like a bad First Quarter 2022. We're announcing this early because we hope that players will come back in anticipation rather than leave."

"Instead of fixing our problems and making a better product, we hope that by using an early marketing announcement and an aggressive social media approach with an impromptu Bloodhunt, we might be able to draw in more players to pump up our numbers before we have our quarterly meetings."

"We, Behavior, do not care about you or this game. We do not care about they IP, we simply want better retention and sales - which is why we were very early with our announcement. There will be no positive balance updates. Bye."

Not a good look. Next time, do what's best for the hype train, the Chapter, and the players. Announce it when you have something to put forward. You can have a few 'leaks' generate hype in the fan base early on, but you don't want to commit until you have actual fuel to drive that train to market.

Summer is coming up, best fiscal time for the company, but I have a feeling like they're going to see a dip before the second quarter is up. Players don't care about the IP if you don't make them - and the delays in the PTB with lackluster killer gameplay did not inspire confidence. Your Twitch clicks may go up, but after the last couple of IPs, I bet your projections were a bit off on this one.

• Cornpopers_Evan
    Cornpopers_Evan Member Posts: 2,428
    edited March 2022

I gotta be honest, I still overall like the chapter and all of that but a lot of the hype and excitement was without a doubt taken out of it. I gotta be honest, with the last few chapters being teased weeks early or even revealed months beforehand with some certain chapters, a lot of that excitement just gets sucked out when they do that but, it sadly seems like how BHVR wants to do things now. It seems like they're doing it earlier and earlier when a chapter doesn't meet their expectations. :/

• ReikoMori
    ReikoMori Member Posts: 3,333

I've seen the Japanese films, but didn't even know it was a book.

It doesn't really matter to me when they reveal a chapter as long as its interesting. I think building hype is much easier to do in DBD post PTB rather than anytime before because speculation for this this game always leads to disappointment. DBD has earned a "wait and see" approach from after they tried to kill Legion and the trailer for Legion is very far removed from what we got in the first place.