Circle of Healing (CoH) still is completely out of control

Canas
Canas Member Posts: 1,021

Almost every single game I see at least one survivor bringing that perk into the trial just to repeatedly relit the totem whenever I break it. Meanwhile the rest of the team is doing gens in a coordinated fashion. It's a blatant lose-lose for the killer, you cannot circumvent this predicament.

Since BHVR seems to have no intention of further nerfing this perk's numbers the next logical step would be to change how boons work in general. I strongly advise to enable killers to break totems permanently. But even that might not be enough since it still gives survivors the opportunity to use the perk up to five (!!) times which is already far too much.

I simply see no hope for DbD ever recovering from the introduction of CoH. You either tunnel and camp people to death (which only leads to a 2K most of the time) or you risk losing the game entirely if you try to play normally against this broken perk.

Comments

• Zeidoktor
    Zeidoktor Member Posts: 2,063

Wasn't BHVR's statement last time they changed CoH the they'd nerf it some and see how it went before nerfing further?

In any case my general impression has been the issues were with CoH in particular rather than Boons in general. So much so I think the whole Boon situation was tainted by Circle of Healing beyond one of the first ones introduced.

To that end, one idea I had for CoH was rather than buff Healing speed directly maybe increase the power of skill checks, maybe lot a single Autodidact stack (15%) at tier .

• Canas

Plague gets mercilessly denied by Dead Hard which is pretty much used by every single survivor playing this game. Also bad hit registration of her own puke makes playing her on dedicated servers a matter of luck instead of skill.

• Raccoon
    Raccoon Member Posts: 7,693

Sometimes you need to camp/tunnel people out of the game in these scenarios.

• Tiufal
    Tiufal Member Posts: 1,252

So one survivor is doing nothing the whole game cause you can snuff it out in 2s while it takes at least 20s ro relit. Sure thats OP LOL

• Chaos999
    Chaos999 Member Posts: 869

I do love it when they place their CoH smack dab in the middle of my 3 Gen though XDDDDD.

Seriously

• Gamedozer7
    Gamedozer7 Member Posts: 2,657

The hit registration is terrible I had a survivor in a hallway with no where to dodge like it's not possible for them to do and me to miss and the puke went through them twice.

• Veinslay
    Veinslay Member Posts: 1,959

This perk and Dead Hard's massive surge in popularity with validation have completely sucked all of the fun out of playing killer

• Canas

The fact that the perk is allowed to exist in this form after 4000 threads of justified complaints is simply saddening.

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897

People complained after the ptb where boons were introduced. The devs nerfed them pre launch. They complained after launch. They nerfed CoH again saying that it might be nerfed more if needed. So what is sad exactly?

They've listened to the complaints and adjusted the perk. Not in the way some people want, but they have been working on it. To me the perk is entirely overrated and only becomes an issue when you have a 4 man swf.

• Sluzzy
    Sluzzy Member Posts: 3,130

You are looking at it with a strong killer bias. Plaything is a slowdown perk giving killers a very strong advantage. CoH is nothing more than a healing perk and actually requiring finding a totem (not doing the objective) to get advantage from it. Killers are actually getting advantage from their perk normally from simply playing the game normally, which is extremely easy to do. It makes the killer much stronger without doing anything extra.

CoH requires finding a totem, then spending a lot of time blessing it. Plaything is stronger than CoH when looking at effort required from all parties involved.

• MrPeanutbutter
    MrPeanutbutter Member Posts: 1,586
    edited March 2022

Yep and then we get survivors complaining about how killer camp and tunnel too much. I’m fine keeping CoH the way it is, but I am going to camp and tunnel survivors if it’s used in a match. More fun for everyone!

Post edited by Rizzo on
  • Veinslay
    Veinslay Member Posts: 1,959

As soon as I hear the boon sound, I instantly get the urge to d/c

• MikaelaWantsYourBoon
    MikaelaWantsYourBoon Member Posts: 6,564

Survivors have strong perks already. But ofcourse new perks can not compare Dead Hard, DS, BT or CoH. Because this meta is pretty strong and new perks have not chance.

• Raccoon
    Raccoon Member Posts: 7,693

I don't consider anyone's feelings when I'm making the correct/best play.

• OpenX
    OpenX Member Posts: 890

Of course Plaything is stronger than CoH. CoH is 1 perk of 16.

"Nothing more than a healing perk" when healing is survivors #2 objective / timesink behind generators. I have watched so many teammates just go find my CoH and heal at it without me needing to do anything. I could just sit on generators the entire time, only a troll would sit here and argue it's not good.

But now that call of brine can basically give killers unlimited generator time with proper play, im actually OK with CoH giving survivors unlimited fast self heals.

• Sluzzy

It is somewhat a team-based game more than ever, so if your perk is helping someone else heal then that helps solo more than anything. It is 16 perks < 4 killer perks. As in one Sloppy Butcher causes all 4 to be extremely slow.

That is exactly my point, killers get slowdown perks every game like Call of Brine.

• Akumakaji
    Akumakaji Member Posts: 5,162

So its still an issue, even after a token efort to "nerf" it. And it doesn`t matter that they nerfed it pre-ptb and that they nerfed it more recently, its powerlevel was way above the curve to beginn with, so its not the number of nerfes that matter, but the quality (or lack there off). Imagine if something started of 500% of the powerlevel of everything else around it or in its class and they then took 15% off four times, it would still be way stronger then anything else, no matter that they nerfed it 4 times (BTW this is not a real number to reflect CoH power, its just used as illustration of a concept).

With CoH BHVR seems to miss the point entirely, its not the healing speed thats the problem, even though healing speed factors into it, but the way you can spam it and how every single survivor can benefit from it infinitely, leaving the killer between a rock and a hard place: leave it or snuff it. Even if they reduced the healing speed bonus to 25% or something, heck, even if they took the entire healing speed buff away, the perk would still warrant a spot in most loadouts. The nerf they did was laughable in the truest sense of the word and not worth the effort to modify the two lines of code.

• Sluzzy

Killers were tunneling and camping before Circle of Healing. If survivors can't heal, you are basically walking around with killer having NOED. Of course killers would like that, but it isn't fun for survivors like that.

• Tr1nity
    Tr1nity Member Posts: 5,047

ok some killers would like that, dont rope all of us into that

• VikingDragonXii
    VikingDragonXii Member Posts: 2,885

Rarely they were doing that. Put of 100 games I played I only got a camper/tunneler r times....after CoH and MMR I get about 50 out of 100 games

• Yatol
    Yatol Member Posts: 1,955
    edited March 2022

i would be willing to accept a COH revert if boons would break when snuffed.

• Hannacia
    Hannacia Member Posts: 1,269

How many killers actually use slobby butcher? You can't use perks like that since you need gen defence and aura reading skills.

Call of brine is a good perk but it should be a basekit thing. Most survivors stay near gens that have good progress. You kick them boom you get info that someone went back and gen is finished.

I personally would not even use brine without pop.

Boons are a massive problem and causing unhealthy playstyles from killers. Not everyone enjoys tunneling but sadly it is something we have to do nowdays because there is no time to be fair and count hooks. Killers are allowed to play for win too.

I still try to be fair but most of my matches im against 1-2 booners 4 DH 1-2 prove thyselfs 3 DS at least some unbreakabillys you know the basic survivor get out of jail card and its very hard to play against those perks and be fair.

• Zozzy
    Zozzy Member Posts: 4,759

The dev's know what it needs but don't want to do it for some reason. There are countless threads across all forums about how strong it is and how to nerf it.. or just delete it entirely. There are many youtube videos explaining how powerful it is and they got plenty of feedback during the ptb.

They ignored it all.

It is a large contributor to the decline in the playerbase.

• El_Gingero
    El_Gingero Member Posts: 1,147
    edited March 2022

One survivor with CoH can provide unlimited heals to their team for a few seconds worth of gen time. With plaything, the killer has to spend time away from their objective (snuffing boon totems) to find and hook survivors, which takes roughly 8 pallets per survivor, and all the perk does is show them the aura of another totem to boon. There’s clearly a disparity here.

• Entinaty
    Entinaty Member Posts: 165

The same way that they made Hex: Pentimento after COH was introduced.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775
  • thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897

The perk isn't even 6 months old. It's going to take time to find a way to balance it without making it utter garbage.

There's been tons of suggestions, but realistically every suggestion I've seen would render it so worthless it may as well be deleted.

• Entinaty
    Entinaty Member Posts: 165

Killers did have something similar that was old Ruin: Undying. I find it hilarious that a Killer perk that was so similar to the Boon mechanic was basically gutted so shortly after release without the wait and see approach that people are saying that the devs are taking with COH. I also find it strange that the issue was that Survivors didn't have time to find and cleanse multiple totems but that doesn't seem to be an issue now as hard as it is to keep Hex perks active for any good length of time in most games these days.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,354

MoM was also nerfed really quickly after release and had a similar issue of making some killers much weaker since they had no way to bypass MoM M1 requirement.

The devs just don't seem to want to touch boons for whatever reason even though mechanically it's "counterplay" is straight up unfair to the killer.

• ThatOneDemoPlayer
    ThatOneDemoPlayer Member Posts: 5,623

CoH needs a nerf, but I don't see a nerf that would make it weaker but remain semi-powerful. All the proposed nerfs I've seen would either kill the Perk or barely change it.

CoH either needs a whole rework, to get deleted or a whole new Perk type should be made just for it

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,546

Also Survivors are better then before... So it's not just the Perk (but I do understand the issue)

If COH came out before (like around the time Hag came out things would be different)