Thinking about getting a new PC, looking for recommendations.

Options
DoritoHead
DoritoHead Member Posts: 3,546

My price range is really anything that doesn't go over $1,200 (USD) The cheaper the better, of course, but I still want something that'll run well.

I'd prefer prebuilt but I'd also be ok with building one, I'd even be fine with one of those higher-end laptops.

Tell me if you have any more questions because I'm not really sure which details are important and which aren't lol

Comments

• Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,507
    Options

@KhaineGB I'm just gonna tag Khaine in here as our resident expert!

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,645
    Options

Firstly, kinda need to know your rough location (aka country) because different companies are located in differnet places. Like I used Novatech but they're a UK-exclusive firm, and looking up Novatech USA brings up Nova-Tech, a firm which produces lab equipment.

• DoritoHead
    DoritoHead Member Posts: 3,546
    Options

I know what country I'm in so that's a good start

I have a rough idea of what companies are in my country, but I'll definitely do more research. Thanks!

• Marc_123
    Marc_123 Member Posts: 3,354
    edited March 2022
    Options

I always have kinda mid range PCs - currently MSI Board, AMD 2400g, 4GB 1650 GTX and 16GB - and never had any problems with them. Only problems i hear of seem to be mostly on high end systems.

You can pretty much build / change systems on most PC sale websites i know (Germany). Ready configurated in different prices.

Then alter to your preference and price. Try a balanced CPU (can be stronger as you can always easier upgrade the GPU) and GPU and 16 or better 32 GB and SSD + good Power Supply.

I go for the known brands like MSI, ASUS, G.Skill, Samsung, Sandisk, Western Difgital. And as said never got problems with these.

• Valik
    Valik Member Posts: 1,274
    Options

It depends on what kind of games you want to play.

Custom built is a lot of work - but you can buy your parts individually over time and construct your PC when it's ready, which makes it less of a gut- punch to your wallet.

Having more than 16g of RAM is a must, and you have to have a 2080 or better to keep things future proof these days.

That being said, there are plenty of quality pre-builds out there.

Pro tip - NEVER get water cooled.