The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

ashes should not be versing red ranks as killer

a swf red rank verse a ashe is stupid, have map offerings as a swf all red ranks is even worse (crows eye). A SWF ALL RED RANKS ON DISCORD WITH META PERKS WITH CROWS EYE AND FLASHLIGHTS SHOULD BE BANNABLE. :)

i hate this game but killer is fun.

Comments

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713
    edited April 2022

Grades just show how much the person has played since the reset. There are plenty of solid players for example who simply haven’t happened to play yet this week who are still Ash grades. (Including me, I’ve only played three matches this week since the reset I think? And I lost one of them so I’m positive I’m still Ash 2 of 3 right now. But I’m obviously not a brand new player.)

• Maxitolliony
    Maxitolliony Member Posts: 112

they should, this hurts new players.

if a new players comes to the game and have to verse a swf who are all red ranks and hes a ashe hes gonna uninstall.

• Starrseed
    Starrseed Member Posts: 1,774

I'm starting to think it is good that they think about removing the grades

• Maxitolliony
    Maxitolliony Member Posts: 112
    edited April 2022

well point proven the ranks should be based on skill not playtime.

if they gonna add a mmr at least they can add it right or remove it at least

• MrPeanutbutter
    MrPeanutbutter Member Posts: 1,586

In before all the “grades mean nothing” comments. Just stop it. If someone is already at red grades two days after they reset, it means they play this game *a lot* and they’re probably pretty good at it (and certainly have the maps memorized better than the average player). I would bet anyone a lot of money that there is at least some correlation between grades and MMR score, especially this early in the monthly cycle. We’ll never see the data because BHVR never shares any data. They’ll just keep telling us “grades don’t mean anything blah blah blah” without providing the data because they know yes there actually is some correlation between grade and skill level.

• dugman

I agree, red grade players tend to be decent. However Ash grade two or three days after reset means nothing. I’m Ash right now for instance because I only played about three times since the 13th. That grade doesn’t reflect anything else though about me as a player.

• dugman

Grades aren’t even used for matchmaking in the first place. They’re totally separate from the MMR.

• Marc_123
    Marc_123 Member Posts: 3,514

Grades still show a lot.

This is just another case of MMR is not working as it should.

• Chordyceps
    Chordyceps Member Posts: 1,703

Obligatory "grades dont represent skill level, just time played"

To be entirely honest, I never understood this line of thinking. Like, sure its not taken into account when matchmaking, but why not? If the number of kills you get per match can be used as an indicator of skill, why can't the time you played? If you've been playing long enough to get up to the red ranks, hopefully your skills in the game have also been improving. Sure this isn't entirely foolproof and there are exceptions, but the same applies to using kills as an indicator of skill. If you managed to get multiple kills while camping as Bubba running all slowdown perks, to the MMR system, that counts as a skillful play, where basically everyone playing the game recognizes that it's not.

• Yatol
    Yatol Member Posts: 1,955
    edited April 2022

because then players like me who play the game in few occasions will be matched with new players constantly. I would constantly get matched with new players during rank based matchmaking days.

• Chordyceps
    Chordyceps Member Posts: 1,703

Well I'm not saying it should only use ranks, just that it should also take those into account.

• Yatol
    Yatol Member Posts: 1,955

I have never seen a game with an MMR system take rank into account and with how DBD handled rank matchmaking I'm just seeing another rainbow disaster.

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295

As many have stated, grades mean nothing when it comes to MMR. However, MMR also means nothing when survivors are waiting long enough. If a swf is in que for a long time the game will throw the first unfortunate soul their way just so they have a match. Fairness be damned.

• StarLost
    StarLost Member Posts: 8,077

Uh, no it doesn't.

I was a new player under the former matchmaking system which used ranks, and SBMM is much better.

Ranks meant that, especially the first week of the month, I'd be facing people with hundreds or thousands more hours than myself.

Survivor queues are pretty much instant for most of the day unless you are at an absurd MMR, and even then it will gradually expand the parameters to find you the next best match it can.

The weird matchmaking scenarios are mostly caused (from what we know) by lobby dodges, which causes the system to basically grab the next person in line.

Do they? Maybe during the first week of the month. I'm already Gold III on killer, and I haven't been playing all that much.

• SMitchell8
    SMitchell8 Member Posts: 3,302

Ranks were better. If you wanted sweatfests, get to purple and beyond, want a less stressful experience, stick to green and below.

• Marc_123
    Marc_123 Member Posts: 3,514

Yes they do.

What is "haven't been playing all that much" for you?

As i often said, this forum seems not very representative for newer to mid range players.

A bad player will not reach the higher grades. At a point he needs to do some things in the matches to pip.

• DragonMasterDarren
    DragonMasterDarren Member Posts: 2,804

Ranked Matchmaking was what we had before MMR, and guess what? it had the exact same problems to the point where "ranks don't matter" became a community-wide meme

Be happy that the grades are ACTUALLY meaningless now instead of affecting matchmaking

• StarLost
    StarLost Member Posts: 8,077

I'm not a good player on survivor (I've got maybe 50 hours total). I'm a decent killer.

I'd say I play 2-3 hours a day, 4-5 days a week. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

Last month was the first month I ever seriously tried to learn survivor, and made Iri 3 (almost Iri 2) in less than 2 weeks. It's incredibly easy to pip up to Gold III-II even if you lose most of your games.

• Momentosis
    Momentosis Member Posts: 824

Back when ranks were used for matchmaking, people would still be telling you they didn't matter and that it was ok for lvl 1 accounts at gray rank to face against 2000+ hour red rankers because "ranks don't mean skill" and that "it'll only make you better".

The community is #########.

• lauraa
    lauraa Member Posts: 3,195

how much you do play recently has a huge impact on gameplay; doesnt matter if youre a god nurse, if you come back after a 2 month break youre gonna be rusty. if youre Ash 3 on the 12th of the month against all iri 1s, odds are its gonna be a rough match. doesnt matter if the iri 1s were the equivalent of Purple/Green ranks.

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,740
    edited April 2022

Both of these two players make excellent points.

A SWF who has been waiting too long will indeed be thrown in with the next available killer, regardless of the skill or MMR of anyone. That waiting SWF was likely dodged a few times as well, increasing their queue time and throwing the MMR out the window.

The matchmaking gets one single shot at a fairish match, then time and dodging come into play. We're actually doing it to ourselves and the newbies with the dodging.

• Brimp
    Brimp Member Posts: 2,881

Its not like it matters because the grade reset resets everyone to ash 4 so in the end you'd still get "iri 1 killers" against ash 4 survivors. Also could be abused by making several accounts to smurf.