DAVID KING IS OFFICIALLY GAY

Options

Comments

• Travis_Bateman
    Travis_Bateman Member Posts: 279
    Options

They are doing this to get us distracted from the balance issues in the game imho,but good that the LGBTQ + community got a good representation into our game.

• dallasmedicbag
    dallasmedicbag Member Posts: 571
    Options

should've went with Jeff instead, man is in need of a new fit.

• Snowbawlzzz
    Snowbawlzzz Member Posts: 1,419
    edited April 2022
    Options

What the HECK they buffed David King??? He already had one of the best perks

• kate_best_girl
    kate_best_girl Member Posts: 2,184
    Options

The way soldiers and Tracers was handled was probably best. They didn't make it a huge deal, they didn't make it some big reveal, they didn't even talk on it they just casually mentioned he had a boyfriend. How isn't that a good way of handling it?

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,225
    Options

Tracer yes, Soldier no- at least within the context of their game.

Tracer's girlfriend is a named character, she's in some of the comics, and Tracer has some voice lines about her in-game. It's pretty lightweight, but Overwatch has pretty lightweight stories and lore anyway so it's in keeping with how the rest of the game's characterisation works. It's already not enough for DBD since DBD handles its characters and stories differently, but for Overwatch it was perfectly adequate.

Now, I might be mistaken since I stopped paying attention after a while, but as far as I'm aware Soldier being gay has never come up again? Does his boyfriend even have a name? It's not exactly particularly exciting representation when it's mentioned almost like an afterthought and nothing is ever done with it.

Either way; the reason to make it a big reveal is that it matters. Representation is lacking overall and especially in this game, so making a tweet saying that they're fixing that flaw is perfectly reasonable. Besides, it's in a tome, it makes sense they'd wanna show off the cool new revelation in their stories.

• kate_best_girl
    edited April 2022
    Options

It really doesn't though? Who cares if his ex boyfriend isn't talked about anymore like its really not a big deal. LGBT people aren't only LGBT my life doesn't revolve around me being gay so why should Soldiers and Tracers or David's? Why should it be a huge ordeal and spectacle that anyones gay especially when no one in DBD was even confirmed straight just at most bi? If you wanna make gay people or trans people feel like a normal everyday thing you treat it like a normal everyday thing not a huge show that needs to be announced at every corner.

• Tr1nity
    Tr1nity Member Posts: 5,047
    Options

LGBT people aren't only LGBT my life doesn't revolve around me being gay so why should Soldiers and Tracers or David's?

Well if that's all you pay attention to, than yeah, everyone will seem like that.

• jesterkind
    Options

It shouldn't revolve around that fact, but if they're going to be holding it up as representation and not just a side detail, it should be relevant to the story being told.

Which is the major difference between something like Soldier 76 and what BHVR's doing with David. It's not just baseless spectacle for brownie points, they're telling a story with it and letting it matter.

Now, I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with them also having new or even existing characters simply exist as LGBT without that facet of their identity having a whole tome devoted to it, but there's also nothing wrong with them choosing to take it seriously and tell a proper story with it either. Personally, I like that it's more substantial than simply noting his orientation and moving on, and I certainly don't think that makes it a "huge ordeal and spectacle"- it's obviously a good and reasonable thing for stories that are about LGBT people to exist, so what's the issue with it happening here?

• kate_best_girl
    Options

The fact they needed to devout an entire tome and make a huge twitter announcement over the fact a character is gay. It literally makes LGBT people look more like a spectacle and a zoo animal then it makes us look like normal everyday people who you'd see walking the street.

• jesterkind
    Options

I disagree. If the tomes don't make any other subject look like a spectacle, then a tome about a character being LGBT doesn't either, and the twitter announcement is at least partially because people were asking about it up until now.

The other part is that representation is an important thing many, many, many stories are lacking, or not taking seriously. If it were just a twitter post announcing David to be gay and that's it, sure, I'd agree, but it's announcing the story being told, which is a very different vibe.

• deKlaw_04
    deKlaw_04 Member Posts: 3,660
    Options

You think they will change anyone else or create someone new?

• NekoGamerX
    NekoGamerX Member Posts: 5,197
    Options

I can see Nea coming out

change? David still the same he just gay now.

when people come out it don't really change who they are how they act still the same person.

but I hope they don't go overboard on his cosmetics now that he gay

my partner think his shirt in the rift look too gay lol tho we both love the pants and head in the rift

• kate_best_girl
    edited April 2022
    Options

No its not announcing a story being told it literally just is an entire thing about "LOOK WE MADE A GAY CHARACTER!!!!!". The story being told is revolving around one specific part of a character and making it their entire personality trait. You wouldn't see them making a whole page long twitter announcement about Adam being confirmed as a teacher n stuff.

• calem
    calem Member Posts: 533
    Options

It's very tone deaf of you to compare the struggle of LGBT+ representation in media to... being a teacher?

• kate_best_girl
    Options

Im literally LGBT I'm comparing 2 miniscule meaningless things to each other. Someones a teacher cool someones gay cool there's no need to make such an emphasis on either. Only difference is ones a job another is just something someone is. Im Chinese do you think I should rejoice with joy because Feng Min exists in the game?

• calem
    Options

You keep making assumptions out of anger. I am LGBT+ as well and I think it's great we finally have some representation in the game. And I am honestly kind of insulted you would compare the struggle of being LGBT+ with being a teacher, one of which isn't a CHOICE. It's important to emphasise when your characters are queer so people can relate to it and see that they're being represented. But oh well, I've had enough talking about this over the past few days. Have a nice day man

• kate_best_girl
    Options

Where was I angry or making assumptions? I asked a hypothetical thats not an assumption lol. And okay it isn't a choice cool I also said that. I also mentioned being Chinese since that isn't a choice either. Point is, being gay or LGBT is nothing special its nothing that makes someone cool or a loser or a bad or good person. Its just a fact of life for people so why is it such a big deal?

• calem
    Options

Because queer people are severely underrepresented in media. It's a big deal when something as established as DBD gets their first queer character. It's important for a lot of people, maybe not you, but don't try and make it not special for other people

• kate_best_girl
    Options

Okay once again so are Chinese people in pretty much every countries media besides Asia lol. Im not taking it away Im just saying representation isn't really a big deal in general and they did it terribly. They've done all but slap it on a building in times square just to announce some character likes dudes. Have your representation but its not a big deal at the end of the day its just another person and it feels genuinely embarrassing they're making it such a big deal.

• Tr1nity
    Options

Holy ######### people like you are the reason I think free speech was a mistake

• kate_best_girl
    Options

Because I don't think gay people should be put on a parade float and shown around like some big show 💀?

• deKlaw_04
    deKlaw_04 Member Posts: 3,660
    Options

Get back on dbd we need to swf. You still need to pay off your debt

• Tr1nity
    Options
  • kate_best_girl
    edited April 2022
    Options

I've seen pretty much everyone state why they think its a big deal and I'm just saying in reality it isn't and most of the time it just does more harm for the group than good if it isn't done correctly. Like take overwatch, in my entire years of playing it I've never seen people tunnel tracers or soldiers out for being LGBT. I'm sure its happened but it doesn't happen often in any way because they were handled well. Then take DBD with everything they do LGBT related has to be a big issue and a big spectacle. It makes people irritated, annoyed, misrepresented, stereotyped, etc etc. No one likes when one meaningless part of someone's self is made into a performance so why would being LGBT be any different when all doing things like this does is alienate being LGBT from society further and pushes a further idea that you're inherently separated from the rest of society for being how you are instead of normalizing it and treating it like its something that people are born with and something people just are. Not even saying anything on him being gay just how they handled it. He's already had a tome which could've confirmed his bisexuality yet they decided to announce it now and make it a show on top of that.

• kate_best_girl
    Options

how was any of what I said 'victim blaming'? All I said was parading a character around for their sexuality separates them from the rest of society and inherently puts the label on them that they're different and not in the norm. If you can't reasonably respond or counter what I said you can just say that instead of using buzz words

• Tr1nity
    edited April 2022
    Options

(Apparently I can't read, the whole PG I said here is irrelevant and incorrect)

Also yes, people need to realize that LGBT people deserve representation, the longer it takes for that, the more people like you we'll have and that won't go well.

• kate_best_girl
    edited April 2022
    Options

How? Literally where am I being insulting? All im saying is they're handling it terribly by treating it like such a big thing instead of just making it a normal fact of life. I really don't see how Im being rude in the slightest.

Post edited by Rizzo on
  • Tr1nity
    edited April 2022
    Options

oh, it actually appears I misread that, I thought you said the contrary, sorry, however, you still said another thing.

Then take DBD with everything they do LGBT related has to be a big issue and a big spectacle. It makes people irritated, annoyed, misrepresented, stereotyped, etc etc. No one likes when one meaningless part of someone's self is made into a performance so why would being LGBT be any different when all doing things like this does is alienate being LGBT from society further and pushes a further idea that you're inherently separated from the rest of society for being how you are instead of normalizing it and treating it like its something that people are born with and something people just are.

So alas, my point still stands. How in the #########, does representation alienate someone?

Your arguments are, at best, flawed.

• GannTM
    GannTM Member Posts: 10,853
    Options

You’re one of those people that doesn’t understand why LGBT deserves representation in the first place. Have straight people been mocked or discriminated against because of their sexual orientation? No.

• Tr1nity
    edited April 2022
    Options

They are

they literally just said "Oh yeah we here at BHVR like representation, David gay now, have fun" and made new tome lore that I haven't read.

I'd ask the LGBT community whether or not it was done well, not you.

• kate_best_girl
    Options

I'm literally gay and a cross dresser. I am literally in the LGBT so idk what your point was

• kate_best_girl
    Options

How many times do I have to state its not representation its how that representation is handled. Posting it up like its a huge deal alienates being LGBT because it inherently marks being LGBT as different. If more people see normalized LGBT characters its easier to simply say "Yes I'm gay." or "Yes I'm trans." and have it be seen as something normal. When you're actively promoting it as something different or something that isn't normal it makes it seem that way and it makes other people see it as different from being 'the norm'. While David may not be written in this extreme way, the announcement of it and adding a whole separate tome talking about it was being over the top with announcing it and overall does separate being gay from being straight when the goal should be treating both as the same and both as normal.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,651
    Options

Shockingly the last time I checked there was more to LGBT+ than just G

• Bran
    Bran Member Posts: 2,087
    Options

Man, this post gets worse everytime I re open it.

• Rizzo
    Rizzo Member, Administrator, Mod Posts: 17,428
    Options

Let's tone it down, everyone, thank you.

We can have a discussion without attacking one another.

• NVerde
    NVerde Member Posts: 264
    Options

The arguments of 'why does this need to be a big announcement, why can't they just treat it as no big deal' to me really smacks of straight people (and some LGBT+ people, admittedly - as demonstrated by someone on this very thread) who whinge on about Pride events/parade "oh, why do they need to shove it down our throats, why do they need to make such a big deal about it, why do they insist on banging on about how different they are, doesn't that just emphasise the difference instead of 'assimilating'?"

No. It's especially shocking to me when LGBT+ have that attitude - it's so deeply ignorant. You can spend 2 minutes Googling why Pride events are so important and necessary, or you can stay ignorant.

It's the same with this. You can spend 2 minutes searching why representation matters, and if you don't get it you never will.

• kate_best_girl
    Options

If you guys continue to ignore what I said then why're you guys still @'ing me? I didn't say anything about him being gay I said it shouldn't be a big deal he's gay and its not worthy of a huge long blog post for it.

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,424
    edited April 2022
    Options

You literally just compared LGBTQAI+ people to “zoo animals” while calling yourself “normal person on the street”. If that’s the case I’ll be a zoo animal, if it means that I can count this as a win and choose to celebrate it.

The best thing about it is that you can choose to participate/celebrate OR not, and no one will judge you for it. Just like you shouldn’t judge if someone wants to write up a long post about why it means that it does to them.

• kate_best_girl
    Options

Not really because Nurse's husband has always been a core part of her backstory. David being gay has never been mentioned til now and all of sudden its all his character has become his entire backstory is now revolving around David being gay along with a huge announcement over it + a new terrible cosmetic that looks straight out of stereotypeville

• kate_best_girl
    Options

Me when I take what someone said and twist to mean something different lol. I didn't say LGBT people are zoo animals I said we're being TREATED like zoo animals when a company takes an LGBT character and says "LOOK AT THIS WE HAVE A NEW GAY CHARACTER WOW LOOK HES GAY HES GAY NOW LOOK OVER HERE HES GAY!!!!" ######### else is that supposed to be?

• Puddles
    Puddles Member Posts: 95
    Options

David king is gay....

So what? Will this make the game any better? No? So I don't care.

• Pukenplag
    Pukenplag Member Posts: 1,454
    Options

So instead of assuming stuff, wouldn't it bw better if you actually waited to read the tome about David? You might be surprised but his old lore is still canon, we just learnt more about him. A survivor's very difficult past is worth being in a tome. This time the difficult past is how his life was garbo because of his homophobic parents.

This discussion has been closed.