Survivors/Killers, what do you consider a win?

Options
Wylrin
Wylrin Member Posts: 98

I'm very curious to hear people's perspectives on this!

As for myself, I haven't played more than one or two matches as a survivor per sitting. Honestly, I usually forgo playing as a survivor entirely and prefer to play as a killer instead. Since I haven't really played as a survivor to any considerable extent recently, I don't have as great of a perspective of what I personally count as a win while playing that role.

That being said, I do have a more formulated opinion on what I myself constitute as a win while playing as a killer. I don't really find the generalized terms of hooks or kills to summarize what I view as a win. If I play a game where the hooks are spread evenly throughout the survivors and all four escape with a total of eight hooks on my end, I consider that a game well played on my end. But it isn't really a certain number of hooks that I view as a victory, either. I've played games in the past where I've only gotten three or four hooks in the entire match, but I constantly interacted with survivors in the form of hitting and downing them. So while I did a conventionally poor job from a mentality of sacrificing survivors being the main objective, I and the survivors earned a lot of points in the meantime. Not as much as if I had gotten more hooks (and thusly, they got more unhooks) but it was a game where something was constantly happening.

One might suppose that I view the point system as more of a means of gauging a win or a loss, but honestly, that isn't the case, either. Though I will say that more bloodpoints earned generally equates to more interactions between survivors and the killer, and I believe it is this aspect that I personally use to define a win for myself.

Perhaps it would be easiest to describe what I view as a win if I got what I view as a loss out of the way. To me, a personal loss in Dead by Daylight when playing as the killer is when there isn't much interactivity between myself and the survivors. Whether this is due to stealthy playstyles on the survivors' part, or one survivor running me around the map while the others demolish generators, I view it as a loss on my part in games where I don't make my presence widespread throughout the map, though particularly at generators. This lack of presence can be due to poor choices on my part or survivors coordinating very well and shredding through those generators.

The result of these games that go by so quickly and, on the survivors' part, incredibly efficiently, typically manifest in a rather sad amount of points earned for not just myself, but the survivors, as well. In these games, the amount of times I hook or down a survivor is much less commonplace, which thusly leads to survivors not being able to get those points for unhooking and the like. Despite their lower scores compared to other games with more pressure from the killer, the survivors did extremely well in getting their objectives done and getting out. This sort of reinforces my mentality that points earned aren't necessarily an indicator of a win or loss, since a group of survivors all escaping with minimal trouble will generally earn fewer points despite having evaded the killer and completing their objectives well.

So what do I count as a win?

I suppose, in very simple terms, I consider a win to be a game where I as a killer apply pressure to the survivors in a manner that makes for constant interactivity. Not just between the killer and the survivors, but between different survivors, as well.

Honestly, the outcome of a trial (the number of hooks or kills secured) has little effect on what I perceive as a win. It's more so the journey than the destination that I regard when assessing whether a game was a win or a loss. Regardless of how many survivors end up escaping, I view it as a win to have regularly interacted with survivors, interrupted their objective progress, and kept them from their main objective of completing generators with other objectives like healing and saving from the hook.

If the survivors escape a match relatively seamlessly (which, in my mind, has more to do with completing their objectives without much resistance from me) I'm looking back on said match like, "Yeah, I did not do well that game."

Whereas if I at least possess a legitimate presence in my match - hitting survivors, downing them, hooking them; in essence, making them do things on top of their primary objective of fixing generators - I consider that a win regardless of how many survivors end up escaping or what the hook count was. These games with constant interactivity between the killer and the survivors not only tend to yield more points for players on both sides, they're also generally more fun in my mind.

In short, I view a win not as decimating the opponent, but making those interactions between survivors and killers something memorable, something you can look back on and think to yourself: regardless of the final result, the journey of those survivor/killer interactions and the plays by both sides made for an interesting and enjoyable match.

But enough rambling on my part. I'm very curious to hear your perspectives on what makes a match a win or a loss to you! :3

Comments

• Ghalam
    Ghalam Member Posts: 98
    Options

A win for me is having fun. Goal wise I aim for 4 BBQ stacks or wglf stacks. If I can get the survivors or killers to meme with me I also consider it a win.

• RakimSockem
    RakimSockem Member Posts: 1,972
    Options

I mainly do survivor and I'm very similar in that my win conditions have nothing to do with my survival or what is conventionally considered winning.

If I have a fun game that's interactive and my whole teams dies but we got most of the gens done, I'll take it as a win. If I dodge most of the huntress hatchets and force her to m1 me in dead zones, that's a win. If a play I make allows another survivor to live, even if it means me dying in the process, that's a win.

At the end of the day, my goal is to have as much interactivity with the killer, make some well timed hook sabos to save teammates, and maybe get a few mind games or 360s in. Everything else is irrelevant

• Dwight_Fairfield
    Dwight_Fairfield Member Posts: 6,773
    edited April 2022
    Options

If most of the team lives or most of the team dies.

So 3 escape or 3 kills minimum.

• AsherFrost
    AsherFrost Member Posts: 2,340
    Options

3-4 people dead or escaped, depending on which side I'm playing.

• Marik1987
    Marik1987 Member Posts: 1,700
    Options

As a killer, for me a win is a 3K or 4K or - when i play really nice - 8 hooks (2 on each surv)

• IlliterateGenocide
    IlliterateGenocide Member Posts: 5,995
    Options

I think a win is 3 Escapes

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,988
    Options

I do not care about wins or losses in party games. I would say fun is the goal, and that is pretty easy to achieve. If there is a toxic survivor, and there almost always is, you can enjoy ruining the game for them and farming salty responses. You hardly need a 4k to do that. Heck, that is counter intuitive. If you 3k and they get hatch, or 4k them after a tunnel, they will just hit you with a GG EZ BABY KILLER despite the fact that you "won."

No, that can't do. You need to disgrace them, and only them, so they get the picture.

• Wampirita
    Wampirita Member Posts: 808
    Options

"That was an amazing game" feeling after finished game. Doesn't matter if my whole team dies when i'm survivor or if i don't kill anyone as killer.

Sometimes games feel like crap when we all escape when i'm playing survivor. Sometimes games feel like crap when i kill everyone as killer.

If a game will go the way of me giving everything i had, and i have a feeling that everyone else gave everything they got, it was a win.

When it feels like it was an even battle, it's a win.

• Steel_Eyed
    Steel_Eyed Member Posts: 4,031
    edited April 2022
    Options

Killer: Hooking all survivors at least once and three kills.

Survivor: Pipping in Red Grades.

• Kalinikta
    Kalinikta Member Posts: 709
    edited April 2022
    Options

I read your piece and believe you are confusing a win and what you considered a fun game. These are not one and the same, as people can have a good game even when they lose and a bad game while still winning. People confuse this so often, but a win is not the definition of fun.

Sure it is nicer to win than lose, but it isn't the only aspect of what is fun. You can have a miserable time during the match and at the end your opponent throws the game... you might win and it is better than losing, but it doesn't mean that it was a good game.

I consider a win a 3/4 kill or escape based on the side I play a 2/2 is a tie and a 1/0 loss. As a survivor I do view it as a team game, so I can die and still consider the game a win.

Don't get me wrong here, I try to win... but I don't always do the best option if there is a more enjoyable path which can still get me the win. I however don't try and throw the match just for the sake of it either.

Above all, you do you! Have fun it is a game.

• Sally_S_gay_son
    Sally_S_gay_son Member Posts: 284
    Options

having a fun match that to me is a win, I do not play comp / for money so when I stress about escaping / 4k I mostly do not get it and end up having a horrible time

on a technicality, I am Nurse main so if it's not a 3k/hatch / 4k I would consider that a loss.

on survivor end, 1k/3e/ 4e is a win for the team, 2e/2k draw and everything above a loss

• SuzuKR
    SuzuKR Member Posts: 3,910
    Options

For me? Having fun.

How most people use it? Probably 3-4 kills or escapes (or possibly personal escape).

• TheArbiter
    TheArbiter Member Posts: 2,256
    Options

According to mmr an escape as survivor is a win and 3k+ is a win as killer

• Wylrin
    Wylrin Member Posts: 98
    Options

Oh, I agree! I don't consider winning and having fun to be the same thing. (Though I probably didn't convey that well in my original post, my bad.) To me personally, having fun can equal winning, but the reverse of that - winning equaling having fun - doesn't translate the same way by any means. So the two terms are definitely not perfectly interchangeable. There are games that are stressful that you technically win in the end, but that doesn't necessarily mean you had fun.

I know it's not a conventional definition of the word, but to myself personally, I view having fun as a partial win regardless of how poorly I performed or how survivors managed to outplay me. I recognize that, from a conventional game score standpoint, I didn't perform as well as I could have. At the same time, though, just having fun translates to me as... maybe not a win from the actual game standpoint, but from a personal emotional standpoint. Maybe that's a better way of putting it. I'm not exactly winning at the game, but if I had fun, I'm maintaining a positive outlook and playing a game for its intended purpose - to have fun.

So yeah, honestly, it isn't necessarily a win from a gameplay standpoint, but a, "This made me happy and I really enjoyed that." Which, especially with everything going on in the world, I'll gladly take that sort of win. X3

I hope that better explains my perspective on the matter. :)

• Chaos999
    Chaos999 Member Posts: 869
    Options

Pipping.

• GoshJosh
    GoshJosh Member Posts: 4,992
    edited April 2022
    Options

For me personally:

Survivor: Escaping - no more, no less.

Killer: Getting at least one kill (probably sounds sad, I know. Don’t take this to mean I usually only do get one kill). The more kills, the greater the victory.

• cordonrouge
    cordonrouge Member Posts: 155
    Options

survivor: surviving

killer: 3+ kills or 2 if i played really well.

doesnt mean i dont have fun when losing.

• Kalinikta
    Kalinikta Member Posts: 709
    Options

If you only consider fun matches a victory, you no longer are capable of establishing a base line that applies to everyone. Simply because what makes something enjoyable is totally subjective. A victory condition is an objective outcome, enjoyment isn't that.

People rather play a game they enjoyed than one that they didn't, even if they lose. The reason is because we play games to relax and enjoy. There is however also a correlation between winning and ones enjoyment. A game can be fun even when losing, but if it becomes the only outcome possible the fun of it starts to diminish with time. We want to have the ability to win, have a chance and for many also means it has to bring some form of challenge. Have the feeling you are improving, becoming better and are able to put up a fight, if that doesn't happen it stops being fun and that is when people quit. In the end people play for fun, this isn't their job it is their hobby.

• DrDeepwound
    DrDeepwound Member Posts: 2,557
    Options

No pip = no win

• NekoGamerX
    NekoGamerX Member Posts: 5,172
    Options

de pipping not fun and win is having fun don't happen alot.

• amazing_grace
    amazing_grace Member Posts: 734
    Options

For me personally, I count a win as:

Survivor: I did well in my chases, either 2-3 gens popped or the killer dropped chase after awhile or it's a 3 man out because of a play that I made that bought them time. (either i run to the corner opposite to the gens or i do a risky save that allows the 3 to escape)

Killer: I consider a 3k a win or a 2k if they played really well.

• TatsuiChiyo
    TatsuiChiyo Member Posts: 684
    Options

On a basic level, as Survivor escaping the match either through the gate or hatch. As a Killer, getting a 3 or 4K.

I also play more for challenges, so so long as I can get progress in a challenge I tend to consider that progress.

• ThatOneDemoPlayer
    ThatOneDemoPlayer Member Posts: 5,623
    Options

Killer: 3K-4K

Survivor: 3E-4E

• LinkToReality
    LinkToReality Member Posts: 115
    Options

Like most others as Killer I consider a 3k or more a win. A 2k is a tie and anything less is a loss.

For survivor, the few times I decide to suffer that gameplay, an escape is a win even if it's just me. But I'd also say that getting over 20k BP is enough to be considered a win too,

Basically to me both sides can be winners, I've had 4ks as killer where all survivors got between 20 and 25k BP and I'd say that's enough to consider it a win all around.

• Solomonkane
    Solomonkane Member Posts: 112
    Options

I'm not your typical survivor player, so I tend run very gimmicky builds. A win for me is if I get any value out of my perks/build. An example build being (Head on, Red Herring, Flashbang, and Blast Mine). Or like getting value out of Pebble and Deception.

The same goes for killer.

Also making any progress in tome challenges is a win for me.

• Emeal
    Emeal Member Posts: 4,650
    Options

Every Survivor killed is a win for the Killer

Every Survivor escaped is a win for the Survivors.

A win for me, is the fun I can have with Survivors during a game.

• Lynxx
    Lynxx Member Posts: 510
    Options

As a killer I don't have a win condition.

As a survivor escape is the only win.

• Blightyboi5520
    Blightyboi5520 Member Posts: 6
    Options

This isnt really to serious but just having fun on dbd is a win in my book

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,548
    Options

As survivor:

Escaping (with all gens done) is a win. Being last survivor and getting hatch isn't.

If I could've escaped but I die to ensure someone else gets out then that's a win too, but only if they actually get out.

I'll also generally consider it a win if for example I run the killer for 4-5 gens and die at the end while everyone else gets out.

A loss is basically anything else.

As killer:

3k or 4k is a win. Most of the time I don't care if the 4th survivor escapes or not.

2k is a loss or a draw depending on how well I feel I played (especially if it's a 2k but I got 9 or 10 hooks, then I probably won't view that as a loss).

0k or 1k is a loss. Used to sort of have an exception for 3 escapes with a key at 1 gen but that's not a thing anymore.

• Barbarossa2020
    Barbarossa2020 Member Posts: 1,347
    Options

Killer:

Survivor, Leaving alive.