Do you consider finishing a gen in a killers face "toxic"?

13»

Comments

• Xendritch
    Xendritch Member Posts: 1,842

No it's not toxic but a lot of killers think it is for some reason because I've popped many gens in many killers face and I'll get camped when the killer never camped previously. They can hold them L's tho.

• Maelstrom808
    Maelstrom808 Member Posts: 685

As a killer main, finishing a gen in front of me is not toxic, it's not BM, it's fine. I don't care if you 99'd it and waited for me to show up. It's cocky, but it's fine.

It's no different than unhooking in front of the killer. While usually foolhardy, it's part of the game.

• Virghoul
    Virghoul Member Posts: 64

Not at all. As a killer it creates some good suspense, am I going to get there before it pops? I appreciate the commitment to the objective on the survivor's part..

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

Nah, that killer sounds like a jerk (and I say that as a killer.)

• Nun_So_Vile
    Nun_So_Vile Member Posts: 2,358

Not toxic at all. It means the players are actually committed to their objective and sometimes it can be a sign you actually have a decent teammate in solo Q who isn't allergic to gens.

• meatisadelicacy
    meatisadelicacy Member Posts: 1,920

I'm always amazed by the things that some killers project into the game.

The entire game is a give and take and most survivors don't seem to realize that. If I don't finish and gen, I know my dog poop teammates will let that gen regress to back to 0%. To me, it's worth it even if I get hooked. I don't care if killers are playing because they want to feel scary and powerful and take their bad day at the office out on me.

I have 2000+ hours in this game, I'm not scared to play it.

• Akumakaji
    Akumakaji Member Posts: 5,168

Its not toxic, but it is a sign of the state and health of the game. A lot of survivors have absolutely no respect for the killer any more and don't fear and real repercussions. They can happily do gens in your face, because they loop like a god and then got DH to get them out of the pickle, with DS and BT on everyone as backup.

Against a well-coordinated team you really don't got much counterplay and even one drawn out chase can lose you all pressure and ultimately the game. So this utter fearlessness has a tendency to grate on your nerves. On the other hand, when I finally played more survivor (my 70/30 split in favor of the killer might actually now be more of a 60/40 survivor favored split, because its just that more relaxing and less stressfull) I did this all the time myself. I refuse to equip DH, but still, the very split second the killer turns around to chase another survivor, I will be back on the gen. This will often lead to unreasonable decisions on the killers side, ie abandoning the chase of an injured survivor, just to chase me off the gen and eventually comitting to a chase with me, after getting chased off the same gen the forth time in 30s.

As a killer you either have to write that gen off, or commit to chasing that cocky survivor, there is no in-between most of the time. And nowadays survivors are so damn good at managing their time and doing gens efficiently, that I don't really know how to fix this.

But back on topic: letting someone bleedout because they did this is bad form. Period.

• Personamask
    Personamask Member Posts: 3

Finishing the gen in the killer's face is sometimes just the play. It's not toxic. Sure, you wish you could have stopped it as the killer but it is what it is. It's smart to finish it, even if it means taking a down, so it doesn't get regressed.

• AetherBytes
    AetherBytes Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 3,028

Finishing it as I arrive isnt toxic. Taking hits and finishing it is.

• WaveyTrey
    WaveyTrey Member Posts: 646

Nope. It’s insanely useful against PGTW. They walk over to the gen to kick the crap outta it. Then you finish in their face. They waste their Pop.

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,159

It's not toxic. But if the killer is just going around kicking gens and isn't bothering you otherwise, it's really rude to pop it in his face rather than letting him get one more kick in. I've seen survivors who think they're really cute doing this. Dunno why, the killer wasn't really slowing us down, and all it does it cost everyone a chance at making points and pipping 'cause the killer's gonna go AFK after that, thanks a lot.

• Alphasoul05
    Alphasoul05 Member Posts: 601

There is no world where it could possibly toxic

• Obelt
    Obelt Member Posts: 357

Toxic no dumb yeees

• GoshJosh
    GoshJosh Member Posts: 4,992

No. It's doing your objective.

• AnxiousRiddle
    AnxiousRiddle Member Posts: 14

Yes they do? People just don't typically know the difference between being sweaty and BMing.

Toxic/Bad Manners: To do something with no strategic advantage, merely just to taunt your opponent. (Tbagging at exit gate when everyone is safe, nodding and hitting on hook repetitively, etc.)

Sweaty: To commit to an objective (chase/gens/hooks/kills) while ignoring any other objective. (Shift W/Predrop, [actual]genrushing, camping first down, tunnelling when you have enough pressure, etc.)

In addition, not every action in-game is made alike. Am I going to call a survivor who drops their item for me and tbags an a$$ with bad manners? No. That doesn't mean that any time someone tbags it's considered toxic or not toxic. There is nuance.

The game is about map control and pressure. The faster the survivors get the gens done, the more pressure they have. The faster the killer gets their hooks, the more pressure they have. You can, of course, play how you want-- but you've also gotta expect backlash. Someone who waited in queue to have a fun game being tunnelled out at 5 gens with ruin and undying still up didn't need that pressure. It was over-kill. They didn't get to play the game, and they're justified in feeling robbed of that.

Likewise, if you're holding gens and ignoring EVERY other objective such as saves, healing, totems, etc-- a killer, especially a new killer trying to learn a specific power, isn't going to really have any time to do that because the gens are done in 4 seconds. They feel robbed of their game, which is also valid.

There's no such thing as BM doesn't exist at all, and BM is every action in a game you don't like. That's far too binary, and reality is never so simple.

• Laluzi
    Laluzi Member Posts: 6,064

There's nothing remotely BM about it unless you purposefully wait for the killer to get close so you can pop the gen, when you could have done it earlier and there was no advantage to luring the killer towards you (such as pulling them away from a hook or a down, or doing that one stupid archives challenge.) If you're doing something that has no strategic purpose just to taunt your opponent, that's BM - but you're still making it easier for the killer to murder you for it, so it's hardly the worst thing in the world.

Ignoring a nearby TR or an approaching killer to finish a gen is just securing your objective. It's no more BM than camping/tunneling is, and like both of those things, there are times when it's outright dumb for the survivor to give up on the gen and run. People shouldn't expect their opponents to throw the game in order to give them a better experience.

• Thrax
    Thrax Member Posts: 974

If it's a meaningful gen I stay put. The killer in me understands and won't punish for it right then. If it comes down to picking the devoted gen jockey or someone else during endgame, that was already determined.

• Bardon
    Bardon Member Posts: 1,004

It's cocky & ballsy but definitely not toxic.