Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Do you want MMR to be removed?

TheArbiter
TheArbiter Member Posts: 2,495

Curious to see the results of this and reasoning. Personally I would like to hope the anniversary stream announces the removal of it, but I doubt it will happen.

Do you want MMR to be removed? 48 votes

YES remove MMR, why was it implemented???
56%
kodiakyBlueberryNasza1109Aven_FallenDeadeyemusstang62ValikChurchofPigkaskaderTsukiYureigetuy45u4iumrcake115TheArbiterGuiltiiPSPGazgemauchpizzavessel15AurellePuddlesSpinostafrikawick 27 votes
NO keep MMR, stop complaining about it
43%
Slaughterhouse3MiriamGF60_31brokedownpalaceMrPenguinRoboMojoMooksEmealTatariuIsJustMeMekochidugmanRattiusUnderdawgThatOneDemoPlayerGarlicRicejesterkind[Deleted User]FragmentalManzaw1337 21 votes

Comments

• TheArbiter
    TheArbiter Member Posts: 2,495

Good point, but it seems like the chances of that happening are slim

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,612

Very unbiased options here lol

Anyway, I don't think people should "stop complaining" per se, but it would be nice if people made their complaints accurate. Nobody can deny that the end result of our matchmaking situation isn't great, but the reason for that isn't because of how the MMR number is calculated- that's just really normal MMR stuff. It's not that the MMR number "isn't accurate", it's that the matching portion has issues.

It's also not a problem because of the meta, or "sweaty tryhards". Those are balance issues, not matchmaking issues.

• Stroggz
    Stroggz Member Posts: 498

I don't like SBMM that much, but I just want rating to be shown.

• Valik
    Valik Member Posts: 1,274

The system is fundamentally flawed.

It cannot be 'tweaked' to work because it was based on a misguided vision of what constitutes as 'winning' which has caused the balance of the game to tumble into undesirable territory - to nobody's surprise.

Until they either create a flat point based system that is determined by actual in-game performance... or simply adopt a SPM model - they're going to have massive difficulty making SBMM work for them rather than against them.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,060

It is impossible to have an accurate MMR in DBD.

• AMOGUS
    AMOGUS Member Posts: 482

I don't exactly like what the "no" option is included with so I won't be picking it, but no, because these forums had been asking for MMR years prior (I was watching the forums, talking to people and hearing about moderator behavior before I decided to see things for myself) so they don't have to deal with sweaty Killers and bad teammates in solo queue, we would just go back to those days of dealing with these topics.

The solution is to fix how MMR works, my idea was to calculate match result + personal emblems and have a 2nd system look for specific, community-chosen scenarios (like looping the killer all game and getting tunneled repeatedly) where someone would, say, have bad results but still deserve to gain MMR. Or have good results but deserve to lose MMR (like camping every Survivor on a hook during a match as Killer and managing to get Iri via "chasing" at hooks).

• MrPenguin
    MrPenguin Member Posts: 2,425

MMR isn't the problem, the bad balance is.

That being said I would like MMR improved, not removed.

• _AdamFrancis_
    _AdamFrancis_ Member Posts: 698

Add back ranks but keep some aspects of MMR to it.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

I get more consistent matches under MMR than I did under the old system.

• JonathanByers
    JonathanByers Member Posts: 167

SBMM was the biggest mistake that bhvr did in my opinion.

• Deadeye
    Deadeye Member Posts: 3,627

I don't think the MMR approach works for a game like DBD. Ranks would be better imho if the emblems would be reworked. Like you shouldnt be punished for the other side playing bad. But using emblems as match making base would also need another change. I think there is a mentality like "everyone should be able to get the rank 1 achievement" but saying that everyone should be able to play against everyone is basically the main issue that emblem match making had

• Deadeye

I think the bad balance is a consequence of bad match making. The stats reason their balancing decisions, which base on too many mixed matches

• MrPenguin
    edited May 2022

If that's the case, without MMR the matches would be even more mixed, so that would only worsen the problem.

Imo, the bad balance is mainly the result of the devs not understanding or playing their own game to a competent level. You can't balance off of stats alone, especially when you take the entire game as a whole into account and the lower tiered players royally skew the data. It seems like the only case they really understand that in is Nurse.

So even if they do want to balance with just stats, they need to stop looking at absolutely everyone and focus on the players that are actually good at the game. Not "top 1% I live and breath this game", but the people who know what they're doing enough to not have Pig and Cenobite in higher kill brackets than Spirit and Blight (based off their last kill rate stats).

MMR needs to take more things into account, not just "me 3k with Bubba me good" or "me leave with Cornerdette me good".

Post edited by MrPenguin on
  • Deadeye
    edited May 2022

"MMR needs to take more things into account, not just "me 3k with Bubba me good" or "me leave with Cornerdette me good"."

This is exactly my point. If you read my post above, I said it there. The current MMR is not a good approach for this game, especially not with the current playstyle allowing stuff like facecamping the first hook to death and then get even more by bad unhook attempts or by endgame NOED. With this you can easily "secure" your MMR with a double kill or rank up if the survivors dont play well or efficient enough.

And letting everyone else do the gens and chases until the hatch is closed and you escape through lucky gate spawn is the same problem. Of course this is not the main case, just two examples but I think we can agree that with this playstyle you can at least keep your level and never learn to get better even though you should get downranked

Btw I didnt say I want no match making at all. And probably old emblem systems were worse than current MMR games (which is not my experience, pretty much feels the same). But I think MMR is just the wrong approach (as said before) and emblems would need a tweak to be a good reference for match making

• MrPenguin
    edited May 2022

Emblems, ranks, or whatever are just another way to put in an MMR. Before it was EBMM (emblem based MM) and inaccurate at measuring skill, now its SBMM and inaccurate at measuring skill. Both had a rank you were in, that determined who else you get matched with. Just different names for the same system because they changed how it worked/got measured.

Involving more things in SBMM or having an improved emblem system are effectively the same thing. So you're contradicting yourself by saying you don't want MMR, but you want matchmaking. You can't have matchmaking if people don't have a matchmaking rank in some form. Based on your comments though I'm going to assume what you mean to say is you just don't want the current MM, you want a better form of matchmaking.

But yes we can both agree the current system is bad and an improved system would be much better, whether its back to emblems but much much better or current MMR but with more factors in it, as those are both essentially the same thing.

That's why I said I want the matchmaking improved not removed and didn't vote for the "remove it" option. Some people want matchmaking removed entirely because "it just can't work in DBD", which I disagree with entirely.

We need something in place that's better than old emblems, which were basically just a 2-3 week buffer for brand new players before they entered "high ranks" where 95% of the entire playerbase were. It was the same as no matchmaking.

I think our wires just got crossed, but it seems like we agree.

Post edited by MrPenguin on
  • Gibberish
    Gibberish Member Posts: 1,061

MMR doesnt need to be removed, but it does need to be reworked entirely. It's a ridiculously bad system in its current state.

• Belzher
    Belzher Member Posts: 462

MMR is not the problem but the way we win it is. Just killing and escaping means no skill at all.