We have temporarily disabled Firecrackers and the Flashbang Perk due to a bug which could cause the Killer's game to crash. These will be re-enabled in an upcoming patch when the issue is resolved.

Why is mother's helpers caffeine and not valium?

Sushi191
Sushi191 Member Posts: 15

Been playing a lot of Billy lately, and I noticed that the addon Mother's Helpers has the flavor text of:

A small number of caffeine pills found in Evelyn Thompson's purse.

Side effects include nervousness and irritability.

If I'm not mistaken, the trope of "mother's helpers" is traditionally valium, right? Wikipedia seems to think the same, lol: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother%27s_Little_Helpers

I assume this was done for rating reasons? It just seems an odd change to me.

Comments

• Emeal
    Emeal Member Posts: 4,986

Unless those pills are Evelyn Thompson's Little helpers or the Hill Billy's Mothers's Little Helpers.

What I mean is Evelyn Thompson could be a caffeine stimulant addict.

• Laluzi
    Laluzi Member Posts: 6,092

I'm guessing rating reasons, or at least 'able to sell game in other countries' reasons. There's some pretty zero-tolerance policies out there. On a similar note, Legion just lost their Cold Dirt addon with their addon pass, which did not look like and pretty much nobody believed was originally intended to be dirt.

• Emeal
    Emeal Member Posts: 4,986

@Laluzi  or at least 'able to sell game in other countries' reasons.

Ironic you should suggest this, right after David coming out of the Locker. Its well known LGBT characters are censored in Russia and China.

Also @Sushi191 did some more reading, Diazepam or Valium Pills are used to relax and prevent anxiety, which is weird cause the addon reads:

It increases nervousness, also the effect is about getting up and energy, the exact opposite of Diazepam or Valium Pills.

What kills the Drug Rating Theory for me is that Caffeine Pills are a drug too, a much greater killer (of young people) current year as well.

Wikipedia is a treasure, but anyway, if we wanna know, gotta get answer from BHVR.

• IlliterateGenocide
    IlliterateGenocide Member Posts: 6,024

Now that most companies are pulling from Russia, and China's extreme game rules. I don't think many people care about pleasing the 2 right now.

• CosmicParagon
    CosmicParagon Member Posts: 1,070

Fifty bucks says that's why they picked David, it's easier to say that a character is LGBT outside of the game than to make an actual LGBT character that will cause DbD to be pulled in China, Russia, etc