Why is this rift recolor of the Plague so expensive?

Options
Laluzi
Laluzi Member Posts: 5,691

The tome 5 rift skin Celestial Salvation for the Plague is a recolor of the base outfit with some slight retextures. These are usually yellow rarity when released alongside the character, and this pattern has held true for similar rift skins that have entered circulation in the past - Wraith's Marsh Madness, Hag's Verdant Outbreak, Meg's Savannah Speedster, etc. But for some reason, this outfit is considered a green and it's priced like a green as well, which is over twice as expensive as high-end yellows. Kind of annoyed by this, because I'd had an eye on this outfit, but I'm not paying that much for it.

Seems pretty wrong to me that it's the same price as space suit Jake, which is a completely new mesh that was created just for that rift. And it feels especially ridiculous to pay 250 cells for a recolor of her weapon when there's another recolor of her weapon that's just a smidge darker, no differing textures or anything, for 50 cells.

There are other, later rift recolors of base outfits that are green rarity, and I really hope that this trend of making default recolors really expensive for no reason doesn't continue.

Comments

• Steel_Eyed
    Steel_Eyed Member Posts: 4,031
    Options

Prices are tied to rarity for sure. We have the opposite happen, too. Where the original outfit is purple, but the recolor is green, so green price.

My feeling is this is just more incentive to participate in the Rift / Battlepass so we aren’t left in predicaments like this.

I am still buying outfits from the first Rift.

• Nicholas
    Nicholas Member Posts: 1,947
    Options

Of course this would be a non-issue if the rift were like other battle passes where everything is permanently a forever exclusive.

• Satelit
    Satelit Member Posts: 1,377
    Options

And I wasn't expecting them to make the consumer friendly choice

• Laluzi
    edited May 2022
    Options

Good point about the purples to greens... and then it'll get really confusing when we hit the likes of tomes 8 and 9, where we got a few rift outfits that were recolored mixes of different sets and those sets aren't always the same rarity.

But for stuff like this, or the frozen Trapper and Billy, or scorched Huntress, there's no reason for these outfits to be green rarity and they definitely shouldn't be priced as such when they come into the shop. I really wish they wouldn't slap random rarities on these outfits when they release the rift, because the end result is a shop page with no consistency. If I was a new player walking into this, I wouldn't be able to make any sense of what I was looking at.

I dunno, I'm annoyed here because the line between green and purple is really arbitrary and just depends on how much BHVR wanted to charge for that particular outfit, but recolors of the base outfits are always brown or yellow.

• Nicholas
    edited May 2022
    Options

It's not really a customer friendly choice, but it can appear that way to people who feel entitled to access content they weren't there for. It comes across more as prudent, it allows them to make limited new content throughout the year because it's only temporarily gated in the battle pass and then becomes new for everyone else a few months later.

• Steel_Eyed
    Options

They seem to be getting more uniform in their Rifts. The featured killer and survivor get purple outfits (Twins and David). The secondary characters, Tome challenges only, get green outfits (Legion and Jeff). Then one survivor gets a purple outfit that’s in line with a new set of cosmetics that’ll be released (Feng).

I haven’t found the string on the recolors yet.

• YOURFRIEND
    YOURFRIEND Member Posts: 3,389
    Options
  • Nicholas
    Options

I prefer a middle ground approach, some items are forever exclusives and some items return. That way you please people in both camps to some extent.

@YOURFRIEND you might be surprised to know that many consumer friendly policies typically are incidental rather than intentional. I don't think the goal was to be consumer friendly, they clearly have a content creation limitation so it makes sense that they would recycle content. On the other hand, battle passes that are forever exclusives aren't anti-consumer.

• Laluzi
    edited May 2022
    Options

I don't really see how "it doesn't ever come back" is consumer friendly. It means that if there's something you want that came out before you got the game/while you were on hiatus/during a time period you did not have enough time to play to reach the top tiers of the rift, and it was released through a limited fashion, you're SOL. Doesn't matter how much you're willing to pay for it, it's just not happening. I do understand why that model's appealing to existing players, because it is cool to have limited edition stuff to show off, but it's not welcoming to a continued audience. From the standpoint of a game that has no economy and only sells directly to the consumer, there's really no reason to gate such content when people are willing to shell out to own it.

So... consumer unfriendly? It's not like you're forced to buy anything you don't want. Meanwhile, the rift has downright fantastic value in and of itself - every skin in every rift is free after a one-time down payment of $10, provided you make it to tier 70 each time. Missing out on a rift just means you miss out on the value, not necessarily the content. (The charms seem to be exclusive, but admittedly, very few people are interested in charms.)

As it stands, I don't see how anyone loses out with the current lay of things except for the players who want to own exclusive cosmetics - which are already a thing through seasonal events and the occasional code.

• Nicholas
    edited May 2022
    Options

I don't see how returning things is consumer-friendly. It's neither friendly nor unfriendly; it's just the business model.

That's not what consumer-friendly is; the term has incorrectly popularized to be a catch-all phrase. The cosmetics sold aren't rooted in being consumer-friendly; instead, it is clearly about the lack of new content creation. If BVHR wants to be consumer-friendly, they have many spaces to achieve that and don't. Otherwise, why do industry behemoths publish the world's biggest, most successful titles so consumer-unfriendly?

• OpenX
    OpenX Member Posts: 890
    Options

There is only one Plague cosmetic that you should be using anyways

• Steel_Eyed
    Options
  • Laluzi
    Options

Good taste. I've already got that crown, and it's tied with the butterfly headdress for my favorite headpiece of hers. I just have a bit of a 'gotta catch 'em all' policy when it comes to her outfits, and I liked the color scheme on the rift 5 recolor.