We are investigating an issue in the game that causes strobing/flashing lights, and are focused on fixing it as soon as possible. Some players may be impacted by this issue and experience discomfort from it, so we recommend taking proper precautions.

And until we fix this issue, we recommend that players with photosensitivity, or who have an epileptic condition or have had seizures of any kind consult their physician before playing.

Chapter 24 Lore Theory (Contains Spoilers!!!!)

Options
GhostRoaster29
GhostRoaster29 Member Posts: 19

With the new teaser image out today that displays a pamphlet to the utopian society of the Garden of Joy, this pretty much 100% confirms the validity of the leaks with the new map offering clearly stated to bring the user to the Garden of Joy. Based on this, I have a formulated a pretty good theory for what the lore of this new killer may be. Here is my guess for what's going on with this chapter (from here on out, we will assume that everything in the leaks are true):

What we already know, based on the killer overview leak, is that The Dredge is a "manifestation" of the dark thoughts of a community. We can obviously assume that this community is the society within The Garden of Joy. However, a community possessing grim thoughts and a utopia seem to contradict one another. To find out how this change of mind for the community may have occurred, let's look at the history of The Garden of Joy itself.

It seems as though this society was rallied together by one driving force. A man named Otto Stamper. Based on the quotes on the Dredge's perks, it seems that Stamper is a leader if not the founder of the society. It is more than likely he is the founder as the pamphlet states, "a brilliant man had a vision", this likely referring to Otto Stamper. Interestingly enough, Otto Stamper also appears within the lore of the Doctor. Stamper is responsible for hiring Herman Carter into Léry Memorial Institute where he was commissioned to perform heinous psychotherapy experiments using electricity and such. This can be further explored within the Doctor's lore, but he is not quite what is important here. The fact that Otto Stamper, an obviously estranged and intelligent man with malicious intentions has this dream to create a utopian society where there are supposedly "no dark thoughts seems fishy. Furthermore, if he has experience in mind control and the other devious experiments the Doctor was up to, what's to say that Otto Stamper didn't formulate this society as one big experiment for whatever crazy mind control device or radio wave he has created. The pamphlet seems to talk a lot about nature, so perhaps something in the environment is to blame. One way or another, Otto Stamper brainwashes the mind of this "cult" he has created. Originally people wanting to find a better lives for themselves, everyone has now been mentally altered to do and believe terrible things. It's likely the entire town goes missing, or the whole town is found dead unexplainably or both. Whatever the case, this catches the interest of the Entity (or perhaps the Entity had influence all along) who likely intervenes thus distorting and manifesting the thoughts and actions of the dark-turned community as well as Otto Stamper himself, into a hideous creature. There are still some unanswered questions though, based on the official DBD teasers. This first is The Fold. The pamphlet boldly displays the texts "ENTER THE FOLD TODAY!" I'm not entirely sure what that may mean. The Fold also appears in what is presumable Haddie's notes on the mysterious society in which she asks the same question I do. The second unanswered question is what is the "Druanee". This word does not exist in the English language, but is does bare some striking similarities to the word dredge. This word also appears on Haddie's note pad, but more importantly is appears in the quote for the map offering which states, "For to let darkness find the seed in your soul is to invite the Druanee." Perhaps the Druanee is the precursor to the Dredge. Maybe though Stamper's mind control of the town, he was able to convince the people of the Garden of Joy that an entity called The Druanee comes after people who possess dark thoughts. What if Otto Stamper is able to harness negative thoughts in some way? Perhaps he wants the people of the Garden of Joy to expel their dark thoughts so that he can use them against the society making them turn on each other. Ultimately, my theory is that the Enitity has created a killer based on a fictional monstrosity created by Otto Stamper (The Druanee), using the dark thoughts that he drained from the society and manifesting that into the new killer. As an aside, it's likely that Haddie is taken by Entity while investigating the Garden of Joy.

Like my theory? Let me know what you think :)