If you were affected by the Grade Reset Bloodpoints not being awarded properly, you will receive any missing Bloodpoints shortly. You may need to restart your game for the rewards to appear. Thank you for your patience!

An absurd amount of hours and...

Options
Chiky
Chiky Member Posts: 598
edited May 2022 in General Discussions

FINALLY

it only took 56 hours, 5 minutes, and 30 seconds of nonstop play to get enough shards to get my first new character :) so absurd...

edit: bought the plague :3

Comments

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,988
    Options

Hopefully the anniversary hands out some shards. They did that last year, so luckily I got my first new killer very quickly. 56 hours is stupid. Even right now I am struggling to scrounge up the 9k just in case the leaks are true.

• foxsansbox
    foxsansbox Member Posts: 2,209
    Options

I've never once considered doing the math so I'm going to take this at face value. That is absurd, and really kinda-sorta deserves a dev response.

• JonahsTablet
    JonahsTablet Member Posts: 762
    Options

Spends it on the Twins

• Chiky
    Options

I played 2 games with the plague already so it has more minutes, but yes, that's the time :)

it's completely ridiculous

• Chiky
    Options

unfortunately I bought pyramid head :(

I still can run, tho, especially since none of my friends wanna pay $20 to grind...

• ACleverName4Me
    ACleverName4Me Member Posts: 445
    Options

I have 1,200 + hours in this game I've got 40k + shards. The grind is absolutely bonkers yes. But after you unlock the characters you know you will play or gotten their perks the grind feels less. For me it took 500 hours to find a place where I didn't need to grind so much to get comfortable. You're doing great! Also plauge is very fun! Great against boon users and she's got cool cosmetics.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,600
    Options

i wouldn't say it is, actually. shards are a substitute for premium currency one has to pay real-world money for, that they earn through mere playtime. not to mention OP's time calculation doesn't factor in queue times, double shard weekends, etc. i really don't think needing to actively grind for things that were only purchasable with money previously is that egregious of a thing.

• Tiufal
    Tiufal Member Posts: 1,252
    Options

You can easily buy any character for real money if you think playing around 40h (of match time) would be too much for another character.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,714
    edited May 2022
    Options

Why is it absurd? You get enough shards over time to get at least one free character per new character release.

• foxsansbox
    foxsansbox Member Posts: 2,209
    Options

I am trying to think of a game where premium currency can be earned during play and is also earned as slowly as it is through DBD.

I cannot think of one. I'm not supporting actually grinding for that currency, but the amount of time it takes is still ridiculous.

• blue4zion
    blue4zion Member Posts: 2,773
    Options

It's EA levels of grind tho, made it so slow you feel more enticed to just pay.

It's roughly 500 games without extra shards (which they dont hardly ever come ya know?)

• GoodBoyKaru
    Options

And? It's better than the alternative- no way of gaining free things at all- and it's a psychological strategy employed by businesses everywhere.

• amazing_grace
    amazing_grace Member Posts: 734
    Options

It's definitely a big grind to get the iri shards, but I would say they do give them out relatively frequently given that they're basically free money to get characters. During the advent calendar month, they gave out enough free shards for a whole character and I've definitely gotten freebie log ins for shards over the years as well. I don't expect them to just hand out shards often, it would be nice if they were on the free track of the rift from like level 60-70, but the grind makes sense for what you are getting with them. I will admit though it's still a lot of grinding and time, but it's definitely achievable.

• Aneurysm
    Aneurysm Member Posts: 5,271
    Options

Congrats on unlocking the queen 🤮

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,056
    Options

56 hours, absurd?

This game requires thousands of hours. If 56 is a lot I'd suggest cutting your losses here.

• Chiky
    Options

You already par for the game. You can't expect players to pay for all the characters as well. I understand paying for licensed IP killers, but OG killers should not be only obtainable by paying real money for them... It feels extremely predatory to me

• Chiky
    Options

Take League of Legends for example. You can buy the champions with real money, or you can play a few games and be able to buy one yourself with blue essence... Not to mention they give a lot of blue essense for free and it's a free game as well. I think they still have free champion rotations...

• Chiky
    Options

yeah, if you don't consider that absurd, there's a bigger problem then...

To put it in perspective, I less than 56 gameplay hour, I leveled up to the maximum every building in Darkest Dungeon, which is a LOT. I'm pretty sure i can get 2 or 3 champions on LoL in that time too.

• Chiky
    Options
  • blue4zion
    blue4zion Member Posts: 2,773
    Options

"It's better than nothing" is such a crap statement, when they could easily be more lenient with it. With the constant additions of both outfits and chapters, the current speed is a bit too slow.

And others doing the same makes it okay?

• GoodBoyKaru
    Options

"it's better than nothing" when it comes to free things in a game made by a company with monopoly power (and honestly, dominant monopoly status) when profit maximisation is easy to do isn't as crap as you think.

Companies are not your friends, they don't want to hand out free things. That they offer them at all is honestly a blessing, considering their costs are also higher than most game firms since they treat their employees like actual people.

As much as I would love to have more free things introduced, I also have to think realistically, and from a microeconomics perspective the current system is already better than one could reasonably expect. They have to make money somehow, and DBD is their biggest earner.

• omegalul
    omegalul Member Posts: 47
    Options

I got over 1 million shards on my main account, i think the amount you get for playing is completely fine.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,056
    Options

Earn by trading with other players. If you just play you will never earn plat.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 15,331
    Options

BHVR is a company, not a charity.

Of course they want to make money. And if they offer a way to unlock stuff (Characters, Cosmetics) via playtime, it will obviously take some time. Because if it would be easy and/or fast, nobody would need to buy things with real money.

• Chiky
    Options

following the same math, unlocking an outfit would require 1680 hours of play... That's 2.3 months...

also, for people saying BHVR needs to make money, don't forget the game is NOT free. I get it when they charge for cosmetics, that's normal, but characters should be easily obtainable. Right now they make it so hard to get them so you either quit playing the game, invest lots and lots of hours grinding, or simply pay some cash.

With that rate I would rather have all skins and outfit be obtainable only with auric cells and reduce the cost of characters by at least half. That way the characters would be easily accessible for everyone, and BHVR would still get more money by selling the cosmetics.