Thoughts on Evil Dead the Game

Options
dugman
dugman Member Posts: 9,714

So now that Evil Dead the Game has been out for a bit I’m curious what people are thinking of it? I gave it a try and it seems decidedly ok, not great but not bad.

• It’s much less like Dead By Daylight than it is like Left 4 Dead. Anybody thinking DbD and Evil Dead are “the same game” is way off. Really the only things they have in common is being 4v1 action games. They couldn’t play more differently beyond that. I can easily see some people liking one over the other either way purely because of their playstyle preferences.
  • Evil Dead matches seem longer than DbD. That could be a good or a bad thing depending on how much time you like investing per match.
  • Character variety on the Demon side is much less than in DbD. And honestly the Demons don’t even seem to play all that differently really. Obviously Evil Dead is a brand new game so it’s unreasonable to expect it to have zillions of demon types out of the gate, but I could definitely see it maybe becoming stale in the long run if more Demons aren’t added with a wider variety of playstyles.
  • The maps in Evil Dead are all kind of similar looking but they’re also massive which is kind of cool. The downside to the map size is it can present an issue for killers actually finding survivors to get the exciting part of the game going. There’s some strategic hints to help on that front but it’s definitely harder to find people in this game to kick things off than DbD.
  • Zipping around the map placing traps and stuff is the coolest part of the Demon side I think. Ironically I’m not really into the combat though, it just feels kind of haphazard. It’s like you go around setting up all these things and leveling up your character and such and then when the fighting starts it’s just a big mess.
  • Thematically Evil Dead is pretty solid, I like the voice work and atmosphere and general layout of things.
  • Evil Dead does have a solo mode where you can play with bots against a killer, but oddly doesn’t have a solo mode where you can play as a Demon against bots which is the bot mode I’d actually be interested in. Still, that’s more than DbD currently has, at least until their announced bot matches gets pushed out.
  • Overall I feel like Evil Dead has a good core game, it’ll just need good expansion plans to remain relevant in the long run.

Comments

• Smoe
    Smoe Member Posts: 2,539
    Options

My thoughts on the game hasn't changed, it seems like a solid experience i might have given a shot, however i don't support games that priorities money over accessibility by doing a epic exclusivity deal and i certainly don't support NFT companies such as Boss Protocol who is directly a part of the game's publisher Boss Team Games.

• Viskod
    Viskod Member Posts: 854
    Options

Money over accessibility? lol.

I'll never understand the childish rage at Epic Games exclusives.

My friends and I tried it out on the PS5 for a day. Not something we'd want to stick with since we just communicate over discord/ps5 and wouldn't be interested in the in-game chat with 1 stranger.

I might play it solo as Demon from time to time. But honestly, we find DBD to be more fun.

• MyNameIsMud96
    MyNameIsMud96 Member Posts: 12
    Options

I think Evil Dead is pretty good, but I'm not sure if I'm biased because I am a huge Evil Dead fan (as is my father).

Just sucks that people love stealing AoD Ash from me, he means so much to me :(

(Context is that Army of Darkness was how I was introduced to the Evil Dead series as a whole. Saw that movie on the TV back in elementary school with my dad.)

I will probably get the game for my dad for Father's Day.

• I_am_Negan
    I_am_Negan Member Posts: 3,756
    Options

I got the game last Friday playing all weekend and I been having a ton of fun. Evil dead and DBD aren't the same there both completely different games. I like having a longer match then a quick one I never played left for dead it feels more of F13 but better.

I'm still learning everyone is still low levels the only demon I been playing is evil ash.

It would be awhile before the game gets stale, but all games eventually get stale without something new add in. DBD gets stale it's pretty much the same gameplay match after match camp, tunnel, gen rush, gen rush, camp, tunnel new content only last for so long too in DBD.

I agree as long as they keep new content coming in Evil Dead the game could have a good future. Right now I'm just going to enjoy playing and hope Evil Dead has a future

It's an awesome game😀 definitely

• bittercranberry
    bittercranberry Member Posts: 454
    Options

Evil dead is a solid entry in the asym multiplayer genre. It blends variety of gameplay from other games but as an Evil Dead fan I couldn't be more happier!

The advertisement and lack of promotion worried me and delays but I'm glad it came out good. The map has a lot of references to the movies and TV show which fans will appreciate like myself. I haven't tried Demon because it seems like to much for me but I'll get around to it eventually.

What I appreciate most is that both sides is a constant fight without things heavily going one side or the other and allows each side the ability to recover especially in late game so it makes it all the worth while to stick and get invested in your matches.

My only complaint is having to mic my teammates who are just loud or blasting music.

Overall I'm enjoying it but see the problem others as it's just one heavy license which kind of only grasp to an older audience and lack of content but I'm hopeful DLC's will be good and I'm hoping for them to land another license or have a cross over!! It's not really out of the realm or question since more game companies like capcom and others are more than willing to let their characters go to other game franchises.

• I_am_Negan
    I_am_Negan Member Posts: 3,756
    Options
  • Advorsus
    Advorsus Member Posts: 1,033
    Options

I think it's a fantastic game and is extremely well done. It's not DBD at all, and I think that's what I enjoy about it. They scratch different itches.

One of the best things about it is it's an actual asymmetrical HORROR game. Even after many many games played, it still has a feeling of an actual horror game. I think they did well in capturing that in a way where it keeps that atmosphere, despite you have many hours in the game.

DBD however is like the Fortnite of asmm horror games. I swear we're one anniversary chapter away from having Thanos and dances added lol. Sadly it's not far from the truth. DBD is not an immersive game. It's not just playing a certain amount of matches either. It just doesn't capture any resemblance of horror or nuance. And any immersion it does have is immediately broken by Christmas sweaters, bright outfits, and constant teabagging and macro clicking flashlights. You're gonna tell me I'm supposed to be afraid of this big bad killer, but I just throw this thin piece of wood in their face to stop them in their tracks??? At it's core it just doesn't make sense. If you want an asmm horror experience, pick evil dead. If you're looking for an action games against some of your favorite licenses, pick DBD.

The gameplay as a whole for The evil dead is really solid. I was actually surprised at how balanced it was on release. Yes there's a few things that need tweaking, and a few things that can be abused that need patching, but overall it's pretty balanced and feels fair and enjoyable. Yeah matches are longer, but there's always something to be doing on both sides. I've always been fine with longer matches and bigger maps, even in DBD, but there needed to be more to do than just sitting on generators. As a whole, I like the Evil deads gameplay more, especially for survivors. However, sometimes I still get an itch to play DBD. Usually, it's whenever I'm in the mood to play as a certain killer or to be a lone killer hunting down people. Or if I just want to be a survivor stomping on and abusing killers. I feel like a lot of people don't like the survivor side of the Evil dead because there's not really a way to just straight up bully killers. You can definitely beat them, but there's no real way to bully them or act toxic, and vice versa.

As far as content goes, it already has more content than most other asmm games on release(DBD had 3 killers and less survivors). There is a purchase option where you can pay more for the game, and you get the 4 planned expansions when they come out. So we know for sure there's at least 4 expansions coming out. I do wish however that they would've used a different name and just had The evil dead lineup as just a part of the base game. This would've allowed for other licensed content to be added more easily. I am concerned about the future and how they plan on adding content going forward, as there's only so much The Evil dead stuff you can do. A large part of DBDs success is it's licensed content. So hopefully they figure something out.

Overall this game is really good and I'd definitely put it up there with DBD, but for different reasons as it's completely different.

• conqueror_worm__
    conqueror_worm__ Member Posts: 96
    Options

Bought it on the day of release, played it most nights with my pal, I'm a huge Evil Dead fan, he's never seen or heard of it before, I'm constantly explaining things to him (the mini ashes in the crate, Cheryl in the cellar and the significance of possessing a tree, things like that)

One thing that I'll say is that the outcome of the match very much depends on the teammates, if you get just one spud it can make for an extremely difficult game (why oh why does everyone jump in a car 10 seconds into a match???)

I've only had 2 games of DBD since ED came out and to be honest I was bored stiff, I was literally playing DBD with my mate every single night purely because there was nothing else, I will go back to DBD but I'm loving having something else to scratch that Asym itch at the moment.

• dbd900bach
    dbd900bach Member Posts: 576
    Options

Here's the thing. Dbd and Evil are vastly different games and I find it difficult to pit one against the other despite everyone bringing it up.

Still though I find Evil to be a lot more fun but also still quite confusing as the builds and stuff are starting to come into light. I've had no real issue with animation canceling but I've had issues with certain aspects if the game that make it extremely difficult to kill survivors regardless of what you do

• Lost_Boy
    Lost_Boy Member Posts: 563
    edited May 2022
    Options

I'm loving it!

Playing survivor is significantly more rewarding & satisfying than playing either killer or survivor in DBD & much less stressful.

I'll still be playing DBD, but Evil Dead has definitely got my attention at the moment.

In a side not I made another post about it in general chat like 5 mins ago & it automatically got moved to off topic lol. I guess BHVR see that game as a serious threat to the playebase.

• tippy2k2
    tippy2k2 Member Posts: 5,069
    Options

If they thought it was a serious threat to the playerbase, no one would be allowed to talk about it period

It goes in Off Topic because it is an Off Topic issue. General is for talking about Dead by Daylight.

Evil Dead is not Dead by Daylight

• tippy2k2
    Options

Also since this thread is already here, I might as well just copy/paste what I said in the smaller thread since I only saw that as it was in General before it got moved here. I forget that Off Topic exists at times (really at all times because for the most part, I'm on the DBD forum to talk about DBD :D)...

I bought the Deluxe Edition and I am kind of regretting that

Not because the game is bad but it's a good game with a ton of potential. But that's mostly all it is right now; potential

If you think DBD plays out the same every match, wait until you play five Evil Dead games in a row.

As a survivor, you need to get through as fast as possible because the longer you wait, the stronger the demon gets. The demon at the very beginning is such a non threat that survivors will commonly just split up to do stuff because the demon can't one v one anyone at all until they get a good 15 minutes of time in the game to get strong enough. There are four classes but ultimately they play out pretty similar.

The demon games have the same issue except your first 15 minutes or so is you being as effective as a wet fart against the survivors. You have to hope your mosquito attacks are annoying enough to slow down the survivors long enough for you to actually get some decent powers. There are three classes of these but again, it plays out super similar as there's really no real concrete difference in demon types.

It's similar to the wild swing in who is OP as DBD except instead of brand new baby players versus vets, it all happens in one game. Once the demon becomes powerful enough, there's not a whole lot the survivors can do about it. Unless the RNG screws you of course (good God how many times have I been a demon who was exorcised 800 damn yards away from the last objective while the survivors are right next to it; the last thing I need to defend is 3/4 the way through by the time I get to it).

It's a fun game and being only $40 is helpful but right now it's a shallow experience that needs a lot more to it besides name brand if it plans on sticking around.

• Lost_Boy
    Lost_Boy Member Posts: 563
    Options

Exactly dude you said it yourself. You forgot this forum even exists like 99% of people that use the forum. They don't need to outright ban it they just need to dump it here so no one ever reads it. Banning it would just make people talk about it more.

I mean general discussion forum doesn't specifically state that it should just be DBD topics. In fact it even states that it's a forum for general discussion on varied topics.

Basically they're threatened by this game and want to minimise it's exposure.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,714
    Options

The presence of an “Off-Topic” folder implies that there is a topic which is the main thrust of the rest of the forum folders, which in this case is obviously Dead by Daylight. “Off Topic” implies everything else is “On Topic”. It wouldn’t make sense to even have an Off Topic division if there was a second folder that had threads on literally any topic at all.

This isn’t something specific to Dead by Daylight, it’s a common practice in forums which have an Off Topic folder.

• tippy2k2
    edited May 2022
    Options

I've had no issues with it on a controller. There's no real "fine aiming" needed like playing Huntress or Trickster.

The only thing that really requires aiming are rifles as the survivors but it's no different than any other third person shooter you might get on a console

My only complaint is the button to possess survivors and the button to possess deadittes is the same button but I haven't looked to see if I can change that or if that's any different on PC

• Kilmeran
    Kilmeran Member Posts: 3,141
    Options

That's mainly because AoD Ash is considered overtuned at the moment, so everyone and their kid sibling wants to grab him. I can't speak from any experience on the matter, though. My main is Ash vs Evil Dead Ash, and then ED1 Ash for support. But AoD Ash hasn't given me any particular issues when playing Demon.

• DangerScouse
    DangerScouse Member Posts: 989
    edited May 2022
    Options

Just don't play Demon in this game.

If you think dbd is survivor sided, imagine if 90% of your dbd killer game you are flying around passively as a disembodied entity, having to collect orbs in order to do anything, with your only ability being aimlessly setting useless traps or possesing (which is also pointless) And the other 10% when it comes to fighting survivors your units are stun locked and wrecked instantly.

And not forgetting if you do die as survivor, you can be resurrected an infinite number of times.

• tippy2k2
    Options

If it's helpful, I got a wonderful tip that has made a huge difference for me when playing from a streamer

Every instinct when playing these kind of games is "Go for the weak link". The guy who goes off on their own, hammer them until they are dead

That is the opposite of what you want to do in this game. At the very beginning, don't expect to be able to kill a single person. Basically your only job is to harass whoever is doing the objective as much as possible. If one person is off on their own, let them and only focus on slowing down the three people who are collecting the map pieces or whatever. The longer you stretch the game out, the more powerful you become.

Along with that, when you don't know where anyone is, just fly around (ideally in the area of the dagger and pages since you know they'll have to go there eventually) and just constantly set traps. Setting traps also powers you up so even if that trap never actually does anything, setting it gives you power.

Personally my go-to has been to upgrade all trap right away. Then upgrade energy until you start getting the passive energy (I believe that's 4 energy upgrades?). Then whatever your preferred playstyle is (like for me, possession is very low on the totem pole as I intend to just harass everyone with NPCs until the end game when I have everything powered up anyway but it's your call what you do here).

Hopefully that helps. I was frustrated as hell with Demon at first but once I started playing like this, I've won far more matches than I've lost (and usually I lose because of the stupid RNG stuff this game has with spawning objectives; thanks game, I love that the dagger and pages spawned next to each other so they can do both at the same time!)

• DangerScouse
    DangerScouse Member Posts: 989
    Options

Thanks friend. Appreciate you taking the time to help.

• Johann84
    Johann84 Member Posts: 15
    Options

Survivor sided game though once they know what they are doing

• tippy2k2
    Options

Another game, another time when I spawn 800 yards away from the objective and The Dagger/The Pages are half done and/or The Dark Ones are halfway dead before I can do anything about it

Super fun spending 15 minutes of my life finally getting strong enough as a demon only to have the RNG kill you. I thought DBD had RNG problems...

• tippy2k2
    Options

With your other thread, how leveled up did you get your demon fella before throwing in the towel? Just curious if you got them all the way up and are still frustrated with it or if the frustration broke you first.

• tippy2k2
    Options

I don't know if you already do this or if you're not interested either way but don't forget to use your Spirit Points to level up too

I inadvertently did this when I played and you can level up an individual WAY faster this way (I got Evil Ash at 52 right now and I play maybe one game a day since it came out).

If you haven't been doing this, you might have a ton of leveling up you can do and try to even the playing field for yourself before you throw the game out.