Does anyone main Freddy?

Options
Wylrin
Wylrin Member Posts: 98

A legitimately curious question.

I used to play Freddy a lot more before he got his power completely reworked. Aside from the long amount of time it took for a survivor to actually enter the dream world (and even this didn't pose the most terrible of problems, in my opinion) I actually liked the original Freddy power concept better. It does sound silly on paper to say, "Oh, well, my killer power allows me to hit survivors," but in practice, I didn't think it was that bad. It felt thematically fitting to the character to pull survivors into the dream world.

Whenever I play as Freddy now, I often forget that I even have a power, to be honest. Dream snares definitely have their uses, but if I want to slow survivors down, I'd personally rather just play as the Clown. And teleporting to a generator across the map is great, of course, but it just doesn't give me the same level of satisfaction as the old Freddy power did. I felt more like a dream demon with his original power. With his current power, I sort of feel like I'm just plopping down banana peels and hoping the survivor slips on them. XD

The purpose of this post isn't to complain, though. I wanted to talk to people who main Freddy about how they make playing as him a fun and unique experience. Because honestly, maybe I just need a new perspective on Freddy to get the most use and entertainment out of him while playing. As it is right now, I lowkey feel like a Trapper playing without traps when I play as Freddy, and that's not exactly ideal.

So how do you guys play as Freddy? What makes the experience unique to you? I'm curious to hear what others' perspectives on this killer is. :3

Comments

• LegacySmikey
    LegacySmikey Applicant, Member Posts: 533
    Options

Freddy was one of my core main killers when I started playing years ago.

(Also the first killer I ever played against too, I died a dwight body blocked me on the stairs then t bagged me while I was hooked!)

Since the rework I only play as Freddy if I absolutely have to!

I'd prefer old Freddy but still make the survivors passively fall asleep as they do now, probably have to give his teleport a reasonable cooldown as he'd be able to see sleeping survivors again.

As it stands being asleep has very few drawbacks or risk other than the occassional well placed snare & for me personally on some maps like the corn being asleep makes the whole map look better!

• DrDeepwound
    DrDeepwound Member Posts: 2,557
    Options

I mained OG Freddy for a long time but never got into new Freddy after buffs.

• Remedicist
    Remedicist Member Posts: 1,096
    Options

I used to main OG Freddy. He was one of the reasons I got the the game to begin with. After the rework, I felt like his uniqueness as a killer was stripped away from him so I ventured out and tried new killers. Ever since then, I mained Deathslinger since I enjoy his playstyle. I always thought that OG Freddy was fine and simply needed some adjustments.

• TMNoThumbs
    TMNoThumbs Member Posts: 120
    Options

I mained freddy after his initial rework, i had a great deal of success with him and found him fun to play. I understand that forever freddy was problematic and needed nerfs, but i think the dev team went too far. Nerfing his slow down add ons would have been enough. The slow down when placing snares and limiting the number of snares he can put down feels like too much. I dont like feeling like im being punished for using a killers power.

• drsoontm
    drsoontm Member Posts: 4,189
    Options

I didn't enjoy the original Freddy very much. I vaguely remember him though. I think there was something simple a survivor could do to rob him of hits or grabs or something. (If someone knows what I'm talking about, please refresh my memory.)

Freddy v2 was much stronger, kind of competitive, but I didn't like to play him too much nor go against him. (Dream pallets were funny but pretty weak.)

I've not played Freddy v3 and I can count on one hand the number of times I've versed him.

• Pumpkinbros
    Pumpkinbros Member Posts: 424
    Options

freddy's fun to go against, more people should

• Zeidoktor
    Zeidoktor Member Posts: 2,056
    Options

I don't main him but I do enjoy playing him with what I call my Stupid Build (Infectious Fight, Distressing, Dark Devotion and Barbecue and Chili)

It's always funny when Infectious actually works.

• Wampirita
    Wampirita Member Posts: 808
    Options

I used to stay with Freddy for all his highs and lows.

V1: Guilty pleasure Freddy, fun to play, but you got bullied easily.

V2: Absolute walking one man apocalypse, extremely fun to play as, super unfun to play against. He was my all time favorite, because I love to be a menace to society (on both sides)

V3 Freddy is the moment when Freddy sadly died for me. His nerfs made him super slow, his map pressure is barely there. I still WANT TO play him, but with every new/reworked map there's more and more places for him to trap, but the awful limit on his traps/pallets won't cover even 1/10 of useful spots. And you can't trap mid chase anymore.

To answer how I play him? I don't, I picked a new main, who gets me back to that feeling when you're op, but not really if survivors know what they're doing, aka Bubba.

I'm looking forward to coming back to Freddy tho, once he'll be made playable again ofc

• Raccoon
    Raccoon Member Posts: 7,645
    edited May 2022
    Options

Freddy is trash now....

You need to drop 2 snares (-15% while you drop them....to slow anyone that runs through them -15%.......lol) to deal with most loops...

Most people see you readying a second snare and abandon the loop....

Unless you're bringing Pallets (also weak/negligible) every game, he just has a teleport in most situations, rendering the dream world pretty useless....aside from slowing down old consoles and weaker PC's.

Gutting his add-ons just wasn't enough, I guess :(

OG Freddy was the reason I bought the game T_T

• ThatOneDemoPlayer
    ThatOneDemoPlayer Member Posts: 5,623
    Options

I main the cool Freddy, that being Demogorgon

• Zarathos
    Zarathos Member Posts: 1,911
    Options

Old freddy has a lot of nostalgia. But trust me the dream transition is heavilly misunderstood in how functionally awful it was. Imagine old freddy in a world with boon circle of healing now thats a sick joke.

Old freddy had to die. He needed to die because his dream transition was awful. Auto aim would attack survivors outside of the dream world canceling your lunge. Survivor could sit on gens close to completion and finish them before you could attack!

New freddy is uninspired i agree but old freddy espicially now is rancid garbage that needed to die. I say that as someone who mained og freddy (og nightmare on elm street was my first horror movie so nostalgia's a big factor). Could they do more exciting things with a dream demon yes, will they, not likely. Would i go back to og freddy hell no. Og freddy was a steamy piece of crap that gets way too much credit.

• madradfox
    madradfox Member Posts: 190
    Options

Freddy used to be such a great killer....

...but then he crossed paths with a BVHR dev and the last thing our poor Freddy heard was "You're in my nightmare now!"

• Sepex
    Sepex Member Posts: 1,408
    Options

@GeneralV used to main Freddy.

...He was a good man. Lost but not forgotten.

• RoboMojo
    RoboMojo Member Posts: 1,326
    Options

I don't know anything about 'robbing' him of hits but if I remember correctly, back then it was fairly easy to escape the dream world as you could just fail a skill check to escape (which you can still do but it's not as good now). He'd then have to put you to sleep again which could rob him of a lot of time if done repeatedly by all survivors over the course of a match.

• drsoontm
    drsoontm Member Posts: 4,189
    Options

I think it's something like that. I have this vague memory of some kind of haze and the killer being powerless by something we could do as survivors.

• katoptris
    katoptris Member Posts: 3,076
    Options

I used to main him before his reworked with the skill check build. I only enjoy him when doing skill check build and double dress add ons.

• katoptris
    katoptris Member Posts: 3,076
    Options

If you're awake then Freddy can't hit you thus giving off the haze effect.

• QwQw
    QwQw Member Posts: 4,531
    edited May 2022
    Options

I mained Old Freddy, but the new one is so ungodly boring I can't see how anyone could main him.

I would pay money to see a Freddy montage.

• Bennett_They1Them
    Bennett_They1Them Member Posts: 2,513
    Options

I like him, and I can really see the potential of a fun and unique killer.

I wish that his kit had more hallucinations.

but no, I don't main him. (unless I've just rewatched NOES, in which case I might for a few days.)

• Tatariu
    Tatariu Member Posts: 2,993
    Options

Didn't main old Freddy, or the new one. However I do have rather good memories playing the old Freddy, especially with the Pill Bottle and Z-Block. The original Class Photo was also a lot of fun to play with!

Pretty sure @GeneralV is a Freddy enjoyer, or at least the old Freddy!

• Leguś
    Leguś Member Posts: 173
    Options

Maining him on Mobile.

Don't worry, I'm suffering from depression considering his add-ons and how he cannot see Auras of placed down Snares on the map.

• Zachcjjj
    Zachcjjj Member Posts: 528
    Options

i hope not for their sakes cause id personally just want to die irl if i mained freddy