The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Claudette Morel: How to write Neurodivergency.

Watery
Watery Member Posts: 1,167
edited May 2022 in Lore

disclaimer / background

Before I start, I’d like to explain something. All of this information is heavily implied— which means it is not directly stated. But, to me, as a person with ASD; her lore deserves its praise. This thread is also highly mushy. If this isn’t your thing, feel free not to read.

I’d like to say such because of her lack of social standing, & struggle with academics until she had ‘met’ a teacher. Who helped her get through things- learn to study, talk, & grow as a person.

And quite honestly, I was the same way.

For starters, I found out I was on the spectrum at a very young age. I'm a mixed bag, having ADHD and ASD diagnosed since I was old enough to remember. When I was younger, I was socially dysfunctional as one can imagine. I didn't know how to pronounce words properly. What faces to make in reaction, how I can focus on my school work... it was a lot. And it felt entirely isolating.

I could see and receive support for this, which some individuals like me are not lucky enough to get. Slowly but surely; I adjusted. I had wonderful individuals at my side-- those who wanted to help me flourish. But one thing that always stuck with me was the quote,

"Every bud can blossom, some just need help getting a little closer to the sun."

I don't consider it a sob story. It was just a part of growing up for me, that's all. I still have trouble navigating social situations, but if I were to describe it-- "It's like stepping on legos everyone else can see, but you." The unwritten rules; responsibility, self-sustaining-- it was hard. Besides the point, I've come a very long way since then. I've learned to embrace my interests and myself in a way that I can be confident in. I found a way to keep myself moving- to spread the love; to understand. But, sometimes, people don't know what my diagnosis can feel or look like. Since Autism is on a Spectrum and is divided into three levels, its variations are so wild; it's the reason the spectrum system was used. No one has the same symptoms.

Fast forward a bit.

Then came DBD: I had been playing it since 2017 now. Or, whenever the Xbox release was. It's been a long five years. Or six. You lose count after a while. In a world where we find media to consume, we look for stories. I had an active interest in the game's lore, and tomes had gotten announced. I was so excited to see Claudette's name up there. Her cosmetics were cute, and she was my second favorite to Kate! I loved her geeky science vibe.

It didn't take a long time for me to read her story, and I almost immediately began to cry. I tend to be very emotional... and well, it invoked a feeling within me. It hit the bell, once I realized, that other people like me have experienced something like this.

claudette morel: lessons we can learn

I, as a neurodivergent person, share a similar experience. When I was younger, talking to other people, reading facial expressions… I was deaf to a language, that everyone else can hear.

Particularly, this section of the tome got me.

She's talking to her about her ‘issue' and how her ‘issue' is a blessing in disguise if she can just learn how to succeed in a system that favors one type of ‘smart' at the expense of all the others.

This. This right here, makes me feel seen. This is how my disability was explained to me as a child as well; “You’re wired differently.” & That’s not a bad thing. & people don’t get that it can be a generational thing. The hardest part about coming to figure it out is having someone in your corner like Claudette’s father was. & while her mother wasn’t as supportive at first, things change with time— because she was there once & doesn’t want her child to experience the pain she did too. Incredible.

It also gives a good example of positive change and role models of what parental behavior should be. While Claudette's mother was naturally opposed at first, that was due to her having similar problems; her father being in her corner and defending her, as well as having a supportive teacher--- it's all I would ever want for younger people that have the same disability I do.

how to write relatable struggle

My point is, though— it’s a huge part of the self-acceptance part. I love the way Claudette is written because she is written about how people with disability my write about their experiences. The isolation & alienating part of the story is important but doesn’t take all of the stories. It shows how you can succeed despite all odds seemingly stacked against you. It’s to the soul— to me anyway. I find it invaluable. And seeing her along the lines with good representation (at least, in my opinion) like Symmetra… it’s wonderful.

Edit Three: another important thing is an understanding of these struggles. This is why things like diversity are super important! You can always look through a window, but you'll never be able to know someone's life.

problematic representation, stereotypes, and conclusion

And the best part about these stories is feeling seen— even if it’s a horror survival game, it’s given me better representation than I’ve seen in years; when people denote something as complex as ASD to Sheldon, people have a pretty rigid definition of what it can look like, & at times— it’s a stereotype. It’s stories like these that remind me that my story can be told. & the more I read, the more I feel hopeful; other people with completely different problems are getting their stories told, too.

I wanted to clarify that, seeing this type of media out makes me hopeful for the future generation of autistic individuals. A future where their disability doesn't discourage them but serves as a motivator; to do their best, and cherish what life gives them. It also normalizes the struggle of autistic individuals. Many people have varying caricatures of what autism can look like in their heads, but Claudette is a role model of what writing about someone with ASD, or any form of Neurodivergency should be. Not in the strict diagnosis sense, but how the literature didn't catastrophize her struggle; nor minimized it either.

In short, it’s nice to feel seen. & while there is no short number of critiques for this type of work; all of which are valid. But for me, when my entire life people don’t understand where the place ASD holds in my identity, & suddenly hearing the right thing is incredibly comforting.

tldr: Claudette is a good example of representation because she is realistic. her story explains each detail crafted in a realistic, mature way; and tells the story of a neurodivergent character in a highly accurate, and heartwarming manner.

Edits 1, 2: Voice, & change paragraph to better reflect how I’m feeling about it.

Edit 3: Restructured and added further opinions. Checked for grammar. Titled 'sections'. (Technically edit 4, but I added a note saying that I added a TLDR).

Edit 4: Told more of my story. Saw the David thread, and didn't mind spilling my history either.

Post edited by Watery on

Comments