The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Why you don't give hatch as killer?

Deathstroke
Deathstroke Member Posts: 3,489

So there's the question and I've been noticing killers never gives hatch well maybe once in 3 months so why? I give it at least half of the times I could 4K. 3K is for me more than enough. Mostly I don't give it when I do rift or adept challenges or if killers don't give it to me so Im more cruel then. But never I close hatch in front of someone I think that's just over limit of toxicity. Lowest kind of people are those who carry survivor to hatch but then close it and they leave survivor usually on the ground to bleed out.

Comments

• DoritoHead
    DoritoHead Member Posts: 3,546

I don’t do that “there is no hatch, now bleed out” thing but usually if I don’t give hatch its because I’m either too lazy to go find it, the person got downed right in front of a hook, or because they weren’t being very nice

• TotemSeeker91
    TotemSeeker91 Member Posts: 2,358

Do I have to? maybe I have a challenge to do, like hook 12 survivors, and so I might not feel good about the 4k but I'll take it because it finished me challenge

• Sakurra
    Sakurra Member Posts: 1,046
    edited May 2022

I give hatch when I get one good survivor and three noobs. I feel bad for that good survivor if he or she is not toxic. In chat I say "because you were the only competent player in your team". That's the only situation when I think someone deserves hatch.

• IamFran
    IamFran Member Posts: 1,616

I do sometimes, depending on my mood.

And sometimes I simply stay afk when there are one survivor remaining because I don't want to look for the hatch and let de survivor find it and scape easily, haha.

• ChiSoxFan11
    ChiSoxFan11 Member Posts: 1,093

I'll give hatch maybe somewhere around 25% of the time that it's an option for me as killer. There's a lot of viable reasons why I won't, though. If someone has BM'ed me during the match, hatch is less likely -- if I suspect they're part of a SWF, then no one's getting it. If I'm doing a Rift challenge (like the one currently to sacrifice 15 survivors), those are grindy, and the faster I can get them done the better. And if I'm trying to double-pip up at Red Rank, there's no forgiveness in the Emblem system sometimes, and I might go for the 4K to assure the Merciless than watch an escape cost me that extra pip.

All that said, I DO give the hatch quite often. Booping the Snoot when I'm playing Pig will get you hatch (as long as you didn't BM). If someone kobe's off hook near the end, that will earn it. If someone was really good against me, that often gets it. But giving hatch should never be expected -- when I play survivor and someone gives me hatch, I'm grateful and certainly don't expect it.

• JaviiMii
    JaviiMii Member Posts: 286

I always give hatch to the last survivor, except if the survivor in question ...

...did things that crossed a line where poking fun/meme-ing turns into plain toxicity

...didn't cross my path once the entire match

...didn't make an attempt to rescue the next-to-last survivor or didn't make significant gen progress while the next-to-last was in chase (I usually make sure that chase lasts way over a minute); essentially if it seems like they went "aight, just wait for the other one to die"

...has an afk crow when I find them

...has sold their teamies out to me, e.g. by deliberately running toward them in chase, unhooking mid-chase and stuff like that

...wants to be hooked for some strange reason

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,987

Well, I only drop them near hatch and close it when they are "toxic." Whatever, you know what I mean, when they act like clowns. I have no problem giving hatch unless I am on a challenge that requires killing. Blame Behavior. That ain't my b, cuh.

• entertainment720
    entertainment720 Member Posts: 246

I do like giving hatch if the following conditions are met:

1) i actually do good enough to kill all 4

2) the last survivor attempts to save survivor #3. If they are selfish--waiting out the person to die, doing absolutely nothing, etc? no hatch.

3) they stop wiggling so I can give it to them! If they wiggle out once, I'll give them another chance, but if they wiggle out twice? okay nah I have other things to do xD I've clearly passed hooks by that point!

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590
    edited May 2022

If the game was remotely balanced I'd give hatch a lot. However, it's not, even remotely. So I see it as why am I giving them another freebie after they've already been given a dozen freebies? With how unbalanced the game is for them to lose they have to mess up over and over and over.

The other reason for not giving would be if they were toxic..which is quite frequent at high mmr.

If they're chill, I'll be chill.

• c0gnu5
    c0gnu5 Member Posts: 70

I've heard that you can get banned for working with opponent if you give someone hatch

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,152

Because there's a stupid archive challenge to close the hatch.

• ChiSoxFan11

Absolutely not. The exception would be if you let a survivor wiggle off, they ratted out another survivor to you, and then you rewarded the survivor who turned against their teammate with the hatch. That would constitute "working with the opponent". But allowing someone who's the last person standing the hatch is something that's been a part of the game since I started playing over two years ago, and it's something done constantly by players.

• Warcrafter4
    Warcrafter4 Member Posts: 2,917

You can't get banned for giving hatch.

What is bannable is selling out your own teammate to the killer to get hatch but that's the survivor getting banned not the killer.

• adirgeforthedead
    adirgeforthedead Member Posts: 424

When I play Survivor, I don't expect to be given hatch regardless of how the match panned out, etc. It's nice if they do, but I don't feel I'm warranted to it.

When I play Killer, it depends on a lot of things. First being the map, Lery's Memorial, Midwich Elementary School, Raccoon City Police Department, Blackwater Swamp are a no... I ain't going to go around and look for it when it can spawn realistically anywhere. If the team played well, or if the specific Survivor played well, I may give it to them.

I had a match not that long ago against a team that constantly sandbagged a Jill Valentine, it was Blackwater Swamp sadly, but I decided to close hatch (since I miraculously found it) and let her open the door. As a Survivor, I've been there where my team is out to get me and I could feel her frustration...

• c0gnu5
    c0gnu5 Member Posts: 70

I've heard it from killer that got banned, but i don't know full story, maybe that survivor was helping him before. Still I would be cautious

• ChiSoxFan11

Literally, some of the most well-known killer mains in the game who are Fog Whisperers for BHVR give hatch all of the time on their streams every day, some streams that have BHVR developers lurking and commenting in them. My guess is that the person you know who got banned isn't telling you the full story.

• Hex_Llama
    Hex_Llama Member Posts: 1,818

My personal rule is that, if we can both hear the hatch when you go down and you didn't spend the last 20 minutes trolling me, you can crawl out. But I'm not going to walk around and look for it.

I would never do the thing where you carry someone to the hatch just so you can close it.

• deKlaw_04
    deKlaw_04 Member Posts: 3,660

I give hatch to the survivors I use

• Hilidaris
    Hilidaris Member Posts: 164

Depend on my mood and how the game was honestly

• Xendritch
    Xendritch Member Posts: 1,842

I don't give hatch because nobody deserves free escapes however I never sweat for the 4k, if there's only 2 people left and and I down one they go on the hook and if last person gets hatch good for them and if they don't well they had a chance. I think that's perfectly fair.

• Phantom_
    Phantom_ Member Posts: 1,327

I do. Especially if it's a survivor that seems more new to the game or heck even if they're amazing, they can have it.

If it takes to long to find, I just let them open the door.

• RenRen
    RenRen Member Posts: 1,443

I mean, it's not like they give me a free kill. Why should I give them a free escape?

• TheArbiter
    TheArbiter Member Posts: 2,481

The sad fact is that it will be impossible to give hatch once the new mori mechanic comes out

• Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,167

If I feel like I've worked really hard for a win, I think I owe it to myself to 4k.

Either that or if I have a tome challenge that specifically states sacrificing survivors.

But most of the time if it was a good game I don't really care if they get hatch/gate. I'd rather not drag out the endgame because it's boring. I don't mind a good endgame chase every now and then but I think we're both eager to just move on by that point

• TheSubstitute
    TheSubstitute Member Posts: 2,436

I give hatch unless:

(A) The Survivor BMed me

(B) The Survivor let another survivor bleed out or die on hook without attempting a rescue.

For B, if it's obvious the hooked Survivor is sacrificing themselves for the other I let B slide but, otherwise, that's a no go for hatch.

• lonewolf8376
    lonewolf8376 Member Posts: 24

Compare the amount of times a killer gives u hatch to when a survivor lets u get a free kill at endgame

• Chaos999
    Chaos999 Member Posts: 869

Usually I don't have a problem giving hatch, however if the last survivor chooses to abandon his remaining teammate on the hook and just hide when they could easily rescue them, I will not be inclined to mercy.

I very specifically always leave the second to last survivor to be unhooked if applicable so I can get one extra hook or maybe just let them both go if I see them trying. Similarly if I run into the last survivor on their way to the rescue I will intentionally lag behind enough so that they can attempt a rescue.

• Fnatic47
    Fnatic47 Member Posts: 396

Why should Killers give the hatch when survivors constantly tbag, click click flashlights and gen rush.... I mean... Lets not forget those survivors who just camp near exit gates waiting for the Killer to start tbag or.. just waiting there for the end game time finish... I don t even understand the point of this post when the answer for it is just way way to clear...

• Laluzi
    Laluzi Member Posts: 6,048

Because not all survivors do that? If survivors are obnoxious, they don't get hatch. No killer is going to give hatch to players they dislike. But I'm not going to treat survivors like a hivemind because a bunch of people have been dicks to me in the past. You've gotta say innocent until proven guilty on that front, because if you start treating players like they've already broken into your house and pissed on the floor as soon as they load into the game, you inevitably become part of the problem with toxicity in this community. Sure, it has led to me letting a few people go who turned out to be dicks (and likewise, giving free hooks to killers who proceeded to facecamp me to death while hitting me on hook), but that hasn't been the bulk of my experience.

Also, gen rushing isn't a crime, it's just trying to win and capitalizing on an advantage. It's not really any different from tunneling.

• Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,235

Why do you think survivors deserve that kinda behaviour? It's kinda weird how the forum thinks killers should do it regularily.

They sure rarely return that favor. How often do you hear of survivors giving a kill at the end?

• WesClayton
    WesClayton Member Posts: 31

I feel like sacrificing them instead causing there mmr to go down a little is nicer in away XD

• DBD_Pinhead
    DBD_Pinhead Member Posts: 763

Seeing as how survs teabag at the exit gates all the time, it's perfectly appropriate to close the hatch in their face. If they want it they can earn it. There's absolutely nothing to be gained from the killer giving an escape, especially the higher your MMR gets.

• ThatOneDemoPlayer
    ThatOneDemoPlayer Member Posts: 5,623

Why should I? Waste of BP

• Jirobeko
    Jirobeko Member Posts: 67
    edited May 2022

Basically I wouldn't do that unless there were DCs or suicides.

I feel giving the hatch is not always fair. When I play a survivor, I don't like to see an uncooperative survivor being given the hatch.

• MrMori
    MrMori Member Posts: 1,432

If you close hatch then hook you get lots of bonus points.

• ShinobuSK
    ShinobuSK Member Posts: 5,279

I rarely kill survivors these days so there is never a hatch play. If challenge require me to kill them, I usually sweat for killing them all, no mercy

• Deathstroke

More times definetely than killer giving hatch. I occasionally do farming and survivors give me free kills lot of times. But usually I try to push them out but they don't leave.

• DrDeepwound
    DrDeepwound Member Posts: 2,557
    edited May 2022

I give people hatch every single day, sometimes I even regret it.

• Deathstroke
  • Deathstroke

Sometimes I even regret giving it and sometimes I regret killing last and not giving him hatch. Gotta just do what feels right.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,197

Because I want the game to end

• neb
    neb Member Posts: 790
    edited May 2022

Giving hatch now reminds me of American tipping culture, where before tipping was just an optional nice thing you could do, but you're not obligated to do it and you're not considered a jerk. Now, you have to give tips because baristas or waiters "don't get paid enough", and it's a problem you as a customer must fix, even though the restaurant should be paying them more. And if you don't tip, you're scum of the earth. Reminds me of giving hatch now, you're considered a jerk if you don't do so, even though it just used to be some optional action of kindness.