Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Who wants more jump scares in Dead By Daylight

MeowBunny31145
MeowBunny31145 Member Posts: 4

Who wants more jump scares in Dead By Daylight 43 votes

I do
53%
Mattie_MayhemOGHellraisingPredatorGlamourousLeviathanPrex91tenoresaxValikArchAbhorWampiritaUndershotFobbosteponmeadirisBranTricksters_WifeBennett_They1Them[Deleted User]Marc_123HexDaddyissuesHitariTinayPhantom_ 23 votes
Maybe
27%
Mat_SellaMrPenguinRoboMojoHannonElcopolloYordsQwQwAnchorTea[Deleted User]DredgenWar237Cookie_Des_LysJonathanByers 12 votes
Not me
18%
entertainment720Nos37MiriamGbjorksnasTatariuCheeseAntonAnniehereDeathstroke 8 votes

Comments

• Marc_123
    Marc_123 Member Posts: 3,534
    I do

One of my biggest was turning around from a gen and a silent Myers just lunged in my face... holy f

• Nos37
    Nos37 Member Posts: 4,142
    Not me

Nothing scares survivors.

The only jumpscares they put in the game now are for killers spending Bloodpoints or waiting for matches as the Onryo.

• Viskod
    Viskod Member Posts: 854

Myers is the best this way. Somehow its even worse when he's off at a distance just staring at you through a vault or over a mid level loop.

Ghost Face just isn't the same, when I see a Ghost Face I just think "Oh crap, it's Ghost Face."

When I see a Myers while panning the camera at that first generator I just think "OH F-...." and start running.

• HexDaddyissues
    HexDaddyissues Member Posts: 328
    I do

i would like more horror in the game in general.

Horror movies that have been universally praised are the ones that have horror woven into all aspects of film; namely the score.

The score for Ari Aster's "Hereditary" did this really cool thing where they put a note too low for the human ears to discern in the background of many scenes. Though we can't hear it, it is known to bring a feeling of unease and discomfort to viewers.

Stuff like that. Chase music is great and all but kind of takes away from the severity of the situation.

another great aspect of horror films lately is the use of negative space. Another example from "Hereditary": in multiple scenes, where the overall scene is darkened and wide open, characters are actually placed in the darkest spot in the scene, though unnoticable for movie go-ers thanks to the saturation, being able to raise the brightness reveals that there was indeed a person there all along. That, added with the ghost note make for a VERY unnerving feeling.

TL;DR: game needs more psychological horror, not just jump scares IMO. Yes, turning the corner to run smack into trap daddy does get the blood pumping, but giving the survivors who arent activley being chased some form of scare would make for a much more enjoyable horror experience. How do we accomplish this?

Not a clue. Just my two cents

• Fantasy
    Fantasy Member Posts: 451

Sure but they would need to be randomized in a way that they aren't predictable. If it always happens in the same spot every time on that map it loses its value.

• MrPenguin
    MrPenguin Member Posts: 2,425
    Maybe

I'm not a big fan of jump scares. It's a "cheap" scare if that makes sense. Regardless of what else is going on, you're going to make people jump just by reflex because of the sudden appearance of a loud noise or w.e.

I very much prefer genuine dread that's cultivated by the environment, sound design, ect.

• Elcopollo
    Elcopollo Member Posts: 768
    Maybe

If done right - why not. If done lame - not so much.

Like, there's only one "jumpscare" in its purest sense in this game right now - Sadako in her lobby menu. And her jumpscare was impactful and interesting first few times on PTB, but by the time she went live it already became quite stale to me. The only other thing that is close is Hag's traps, but after you played enough - they start to feel more annoying than scary or anything else. Especially if she's got that deafening addon - it's simply unpleasant and irritating, not frightening and tense.

So, I'd say I would prefer not so much jumpscares, but rather tensity during the gameplay itself - like, you don't know which corner Michael or Ghosty might come around. And by the time you notice them it might be too late, so you gotta always make sure you are aware of your surroundings. Dredge on the PTB seemed like a killer with just about right amount of scary-element to it - but we'll see how Dredge will age.

• Mat_Sella
    Mat_Sella Member Posts: 3,553
    Maybe

Atmospheric horror would be what I prefer, but the occasional; something dramatic happens that scares me is good too.

• GlamourousLeviathan
    GlamourousLeviathan Member Posts: 981
    edited June 2022
    I do

There were two jumpscare killers in the game, Hag and Spirit. Spirit was nerfed and now she doesn't jumpscare anymore. Now only Hag remains.

• entertainment720
    entertainment720 Member Posts: 246
    Not me

oh my gosh, my screams from the spirit pulling me off a gen are already so loud!

• Valik
    Valik Member Posts: 1,274
    I do

More stealth killers with actual stealth would be nice.

There's nothing more satisfying than catching a survivor unexpectedly.

There's also nothing more satisfying than an intense match filled with paranoia as you try to tackle generators in the midst of confusion.

• Bran
    Bran Member Posts: 2,096
    I do

for sure, it's supposed to be a horror game after all