Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Hook Camping Should Be Nerfed

2»

Comments

• squbax
    squbax Member Posts: 1,441

Doesn't this neuter killers like ghostface and hag?, since while the unhooked person has this invincibility they can trigger all traps without punishment and follow ghostface to reveal him, same with freddy pallets/snares, artist crows, and even twins because they could kick victor without any drawbacks.

• Carth
    Carth Member Posts: 1,182

Camping and the mythical 12 hook spread cannot be implemented until survivors are unable to smash out gens and end the game in 4 minutes with no toolboxes and just spreading.

• Brimp
    Brimp Member Posts: 2,896

Eh in the current state of the game you cant really nerf camping without making huge changes or else it will be abused. I've seen people say something like "hook should decay slower if killer is camping by x amount but goes normally if survivor is near the hook". Which can seriously be abused to let 2 people work on gens while someone keeps the killer at hook while someones timer decays 50% slower if the survivor stays just outside the radius of the hook.

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,546

Maybe looking at Gen speeds and Map layouts would help...

In theory if they increased base Gen regression to .50 (and disabling all Gen regression perks) it might change some players playstyle...

Looking at loops is another big deal (cause it's an algorithm that in charge of that) but maybe if the devs hand designed the maps it would be easier to pick them apart

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,430

Even tho killers want to have their cake and eat it too.

The developers have already said Camping is going to be a playstyle that will be looked at.

Specifically because of it being too easy of a playstyle. No need to argue further because it is on their list.

• VikingDragonXii
    VikingDragonXii Member Posts: 2,885

But then survivors would abuse it and then.the killers wouldn't be able to stop the unhooking. Thsts why they want to make BT basekit in some form.

• Tostapane
    Tostapane Member Posts: 1,618

never thought that it might be that killers don't have enough time due to the various problems (boon totems, genspeed paired with toolboxes, meta perks, maps, etc etc) and they need to use those tactics (i'll put also tunneling in the package) in order to get kills? how curious that noone ever thought about this...

• rvzrvzrvz
    rvzrvzrvz Member Posts: 940

Why not just send survivor far away like a pyramid heads cage ? Only for first hook and adjust gen repair speed to compensate ?

I don't understand people defending facecamp it's by far the most unhealthy thing in this game, yes it's bad against swf but it just works against 4 randoms, you facecamp your very first hook and win games like this it's pathetic and totally ruin someone's game

• ad19970
    ad19970 Member Posts: 6,356
    edited June 2022

This game needs both though. Only a motivation not to camp will not be enough. Camping and tunneling need to be nerfed hard as well, it makes no sense to have strategies that take such little skill to be this effective.

• SMitchell8
    SMitchell8 Member Posts: 3,302

Pretty sure lions and tigers dont walk away from a dead carcus to let rival predators get it .......

• Kaitsja
    Kaitsja Member Posts: 1,833

How, exactly, would survivors abuse it? The killer just wouldn't be able to grab a healthy survivor attempting an unhook. They'd still be able to interrupt it by hitting them. The only thing that changes is that we no longer have these silly hook standoffs where the survivor tries to force the killer to hit them.

• Kaitsja
    Kaitsja Member Posts: 1,833

Last I checked Dead by Daylight is a game, not the african savannah/forests in asia.

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295

When you open with "I'm a killer main" I stop reading.

• Phantom_
    Phantom_ Member Posts: 1,327

Love this idea! Like what Pyramid Head does when he cages a survivor instead of hooking them. That way the game just progresses and everyone has something to do.

• Jejune
    Jejune Member Posts: 795

Well i said that they would be like ghost. So they wouldnt trigger traps, reveal ghostface. If they kick victor they lose invulnerability status because they slow killer progression.

• Jejune
    Jejune Member Posts: 795

But like i said it in this thread. They are like a ghost or like mikey when he stalks. You can walk through them. They are not affected by anything and they cannot affect anything. If they dare to do anything that disables DS they lose invulnerability. So the only downside to this is that you cant tunnel. You could camp the hook to down the person unhooking tho.

• rvzrvzrvz
    rvzrvzrvz Member Posts: 940
    edited June 2022

If they can't fix facecampers I think BT should be basekit, anyone unhooked as endurance for 10 seconds, BT and DS are mandatory right now because camping/tunneling is the best strategy, 2 perks just to try to survive tunneling is boring it destroy variety

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,546

TL;DR... increasing Base Gen Regression would help

Killer feel more pressure then Survivors cause of the time crunch

400 seconds (which is about 6 minutes) for all of the Gens to be done... and yea travel time varies so I didn't include it... plus the exit gates also varies (depending on perks and if the Survivors 99% them)

And base Gen regression being at .25 means that it'll take 400 (give or take) seconds to fully regress a Gen at 99%... so why should Killers kick Gens at this point

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,371

Because picking the hook you want the survivor on is important for pressure building. Having a survivor inside a 3 gen area you are defending is huge compared to just sending the survivor right next to teammates so they can get unhooked immediately.

And fixing face camping is a tough issue, because camping is a completely valid strategy and forcing a survivor into the next hook state can be an optimal move.

• Kalinikta
    Kalinikta Member Posts: 709

Motivation to do something else will go far more into making the game better than just nerfing the viable tactics of the killer end. At its core hooks are designed around the danger of the killer being in the area, yet there is little reasons to stray far from it.

The effectiveness is based on the survivors and the huge gamble that leaving the hook brings. Motivate people to leave the hook and you might be able to adjust camping and tunneling... but all we ever see is people suggesting only a nerf. Where is the motivator? Even if you leave camping and tunneling alone, adding a motivator will reduce camping and tunneling yet that is not what we see once again.

• bluedusef
    bluedusef Member Posts: 288

What needs fixing are survivors brain cells. Whenever a killer camps, most times survivors have ZERO clue what to do. This is what happens most of the time. All survivors run near the camped person, all of them do nothing, some are crouching in corners of the map, or doing random dull totems and dont do gens.

the killer gets a free kill, then wipes the rest of them out and again, nobody bothers doing gens, they kinda give up playing. ends up being a farming match, first one to get unhooks for easy points.

survivors are the main problem when it comes to camping.

• GuyFawx
    GuyFawx Member Posts: 2,027

Hook camping didnt work with the old BT its too bad it got nerfed tho even tho i know it needed it. I still feel like there needs to be a perk for campped hooks that swaps your hook with another on the map in case the killer stays too near it. Right now killers are abusing this and something will eventually happen to fix it I just hope its not a halfas fix. I have said before that they could easily make hooks function like the cage of attonement works

• Raccoon
    Raccoon Member Posts: 7,693

Removing player agency is the fastest way to kill a game.

• Marik1987
    Marik1987 Member Posts: 1,700

SWFs should be nerfed heavily

• BenSanderson55
    BenSanderson55 Member Posts: 454

Don't bother, this is a killer forum. Most of them like to pretend they get an amazing 4 man swf on comms in 90% of their matches when it fact it's at most a duo que not on comms. So their arguments will be based off 4 man swf on comms not solo que. Most killers aren't good so come here to complain about how they need to tunnel and camp to win disguised as 4 man swf on comms in every match. Doesnt help well known streamer killer mains encourage this. Here's the solution: switch to Evil Dead succeeds in every way DBD fails.

• VikingDragonXii
    VikingDragonXii Member Posts: 2,885

Hitting a survivor doesn't interrupt the unhook all it does is hurt them and they still get the unhook while the killer is doing the blood wipe. Survivors would abuse it by knowing they can't be grabbed off the hook rescue and do rescues right after the Killer hooked the survivor and doesn't have time to even leave the hook area or one survivor makes the chase happen around the hook while a second comes in for the rescue knowing they can't be grabbed.

It's the same thing when the Devs put in a pause to hook progress if the Killer was standing too close., Survivors abused it by making sure the chase happened around the hook so there was no progress to the hook state.

• Raccoon
    edited June 2022

ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz

Edit - Evil Dead is pretty fun and IS NOT full of people like this guy....don't let whatever that is turn you off from giving it a try.

• BenSanderson55
  • foxsansbox
    foxsansbox Member Posts: 2,209

Whoever hurt you, it happened long before you found your way to these forums.

• Raccoon

It was referencing your 'Us vs Them' attitude.

I'm really happy you enjoy Evil Dead, though - I gotta say it surprised me.

• BenSanderson55

I also play killer and can admit I'm just not that great BUT i do my best not to camp, tunnel or slug everyone. Unfortunately to a lot of killers them being not great translates to 4 man swf on comms every match or survivors OP.

I play DBD and Resident evil Resistance; with DBD got tired of the tunneled, camped and/or slugged nearly every match (solo q); resistance tired of peer to peer lag and no updates. Evil Dead has seemed to solve all these issues for me (lag does happen occasionally but i think it's just buggy still as it's a newer game)

• Bardon
    Bardon Member Posts: 1,004

That's an awful thing to do to the killers though. After taking the extra time to do a basement hook the survivor pops up right next to a team-mate halfway across the map? How about poor Trapper & Hag, after they get an area carefully set up but no way to actually hook a survivor in there to lure in others?

Sorry, that's way unbalanced.

• Phantom_
    Phantom_ Member Posts: 1,327

Oh no, not the basement ones those should stay as they are or have one of them be a scourge hook!

I meant the regular ones on the map itself, it would be nice if they had some sort of timer, that would send the survivor elsewhere IF the killer stayed for X minutes within X radius of said hook.

• Hilidaris
    Hilidaris Member Posts: 164

Great idea, so when the game is about to end and I hook someone, since I have nothing else to do than waiting for his friend to come and save him, they wouldn't even need to take the risk to come, they just need to wait a bit so the hooked survivor get teleported away, they save him and leave.