if iron will is gone

if the iron will nerf goes threw can character’s have a set range of volume because some characters are far louder than others an it’s a major disadvantage an it’s incredibly annoying claire is a major example of this without iron will she’s one of most annoying characters to play jane as well i think every character should have the same set of volume this also makes people not play or buy more characters because they are a disadvantage for playing plus ace literally has built in iron will ace mains eating good right now lol

Comments

• fulltonon
    fulltonon Member Posts: 5,762

It's rather strange that the sound imbalance did not fixed till this day tbh.

• cburton311
    cburton311 Member Posts: 407
    edited June 2022

SO much this....I could care less if the killer can hear me, I just don't want to listen to the grunting and whining, constantly and loudly.

Balance issues aside, this might me make stop playing. At the very least, I may have to abandon survivor side which is the role I prefer to play.

• VikingDragonXii
    VikingDragonXii Member Posts: 2,885

Here's the thing and first off I agree they went a little Nerf happy with IW and a few other perks......IW totally negated a major way Killers track and totally screwed over Spirit as that's the only way to track survivors besides scratch marks but that wasn't really reliable. IW also completely made Stridor useless because of the change the Devs made saying it was a "bug".

IW should of been changed to a 80-90% suppressed sounds while injured. That would of made everyone happy as survivors were not completely silent but still were quiet enough to hide. The can't be used while exhausted makes to feasible sense to me.

• Marigoria
    Marigoria Member Posts: 6,090

If it cant be used while exhausted it's going to be useless for people who use sprint burst.... the exhaustion part is the worst part of the nerf for me personally. It makes no sense at all.

• VikingDragonXii

Yea I mean physically it makes sense but as a game mechanic no not at all. I get they want to shake up the meta but there are other ways than gutting the Meta perks.

• HectorBrando
    HectorBrando Member Posts: 3,167

My main concern is stealth is dead and juking is almost dead too, because there is no way to lose the Killer unless he is extremely bad, IW was one of the few perks which enabled you to attempt jukes while injured, now once you are hit you are guaranteed to go down eventually.

• VikingDragonXii

I think they did need to Nerf the sound part but that's why I said between 80-90% should of been the max so Killer could still track, spirit wasn't blind, survivors still could hide. But remove that exhausted part.

• HexDevourAvocado
    HexDevourAvocado Member Posts: 95
    edited June 2022

Let's be honest Iron Will and spinechill will be completely useless.

Mostly I am sad over Iron Will and the fact that Now everyone will run botany,boon, and a good medkit.

I personally find grants of pain extremely annoying.On soloQ is hard to find my teammates at times ,so I am running injured.

Guess I will run the 35% self care when solo.

Honestly the least thing I cared about was dead hard being nerfed or ds.I think they are healthy changes.

But there are so many things that coming that concern me with the update on both sides.

But Iron Will was by far my favorite perk as survivor.

They should just remove the breathing part from it and not other changes.Is useless atm.

p.s. we will see how Bite the Bullet and a strong medkit works now.

• Grandpa_Crack_Pipe
    Grandpa_Crack_Pipe Member Posts: 3,306

I don't know if it's really that hard to like, put them all through a sound mixer and adjust 'till even.

• Murgleïs
    Murgleïs Member Posts: 1,067

No, IW won’t be useless. 75% is still a lot of reduction.

• killer998
    killer998 Member Posts: 100

Spirit eagerly awaits the nerf to iron will with massive anticipation

• akaTheBARON
    akaTheBARON Member Posts: 346

THIS! I can't STAND listening to David King while injured, and he's been a main of mine for a while. There are others who's grunts of pain get on my nerves but its just that David is SOOOO F'kning LOUD. SHEEESHHHHH LOL

• akaTheBARON
    akaTheBARON Member Posts: 346
    edited June 2022

I don't understand why they don't lower the volume on survivors that are obviously louder than others, make them all somewhat equal the best they can anyways. David was my first main, and I still use him but won't without either Iron Will, or a boosted med kit to heal a few times cuz his grunts are too much if I'm super frustrated. Thats why I've opened up my "mains" roster and added ACE... he's whisper quiet. He's practically got "Iron Will light" as basekit LOL

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,085

Yes. Claire for example.

Guess I bought a Legendary Skin which I like, but cannot use it anymore since the grunts of pain are a pain for my ears.

• Murgleïs

Did you really tried it ? Killers have music in chase, if you add 75% reduction you still have a shot at escaping with mind games.

I did my Jake adept yesterday, he has the perk lvl 2 (75%) and I was really surprised how effective it was.

And even without IW you can win a chase :

• early game : drop pallets, you have all the ressources
    • mid game : lure the killer to dead zone for him (no gen), most of the time they drop the chase, especially if they have no mobility
    • endgame : lure the killer far from the doors

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,085

Ah, thank you for the Tips. I am brand-new to the game, I dont know that.

You can drop Pallets? Wow. Thank you!!!111

And yes, I know that you can track Survivors even if they only have 25% sound while injured. The Perk is gone, it is just dead.

• Thusly_Boned
    Thusly_Boned Member Posts: 2,908

This makes the most sense for those who don't like the sound of their character. And yeah, some survs make really annoying sounds.

But for killers, some more than others, it's a lot more than just a QoL feature.

• GuyFawx
    GuyFawx Member Posts: 2,027

Iron will was a must on Elodie for a while shes not so bad anymore but man her yell used to be so loud

• Aurelle
    Aurelle Member Posts: 3,611

As someone who has Lisa as one of their mains, I have to agree. Some characters are just flat out too loud. More prime examples are Jeff, Jane, and Bill all of which that I can hear even when they're far away from me. If the Iron Will nerf goes through (which I really hope it doesn't), those characters will probably never be played by a majority of players.

• Thusly_Boned
    Thusly_Boned Member Posts: 2,908

Personally I think they should just standardize the volume for survivor noises. They can keep their personality, but there's no reason for the variance on volume.

• Murgleïs

You are welcome. I figured you were brand new, usually veteran players can play off meta builds and win. They are not carried by 100% sound surpression or multiple 2nd chances. They have solid basic skills :

• not being found early game
    • doing generators fast while avoid being 3gen
    • looping with knowledge of all the killers, including antiloop, not just m1s
    • game sense : when to heal, rescue, repair, open the gate, ect…

For them, IW is just a plus and will still be effective with 75%. Otz plays a lot of off meta builds, I am sure you can learn a lot from him.

• versacefeng
    versacefeng Member Posts: 1,140
    edited June 2022

Let's not forget how Iron Will is also the staple in many other stealth-oriented builds. If that Iron Will change comes to live, those stealth-oriented builds are gonna be rendered useless and will quickly be replaced with god-tier medkits and COH.

• ShinobuSK
    ShinobuSK Member Posts: 5,279

Her yell was bugged on release and they fixed it. Also Iron will doesnt affect it, thats Calm spirit.

Her injured sounds surprisingly arent really that loud but that may be only because there are so many other survivors whos volume is off the charts

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095

IW is for killers what Spirits phase walk was for survivors.

I tried to warn people, that insisted on nerfing Spirit. But well, no one listenend.

• rabbit4u2luv
    rabbit4u2luv Member Posts: 6

I can't even stand to listen to injured Yun without IW

Sure, sure, mute the sounds of you puking when I have you infected, I don't think so. If I gotta deal with the annoying whisper chanting when I have Corrupt Purge going, you gotta hear yourself puke.

• Akumakaji
    Akumakaji Member Posts: 5,176

People overaggerate the issue so hard, not really knowing, or caring, for the other sides story. Survivors are so smol and slippery, and most maps have so much clutter and scrubery, that hearing is one of the most important tools the killer has. Taking that away with 100% efficiency was just a wrong gameplay decision and should have never been in the game in the first place.

Now a lot of people have gotten used to not caring about one actually very important aspect of the game, ie the sounds their characters make when injured, and now even the prospect of having to deal with just 1/4 of this scares them to death.

I never play with IW, and yet the killer loses me all the time, its not like hearing is a dead giveawaym in chaotic chases everything can happen, and sometimtes the killer gets distracted etc. But with the 25% sounds getting through the killer now at least has a CHANCE to hear survivors, who are basically hiding just behind their backs. I think most survivors don't realize how low volume 25% of the grunts of pain actually is, when you are in a chase, with the chase music, some gens popping in the distance and maybe your own power emitting some sort of rumbling or sfx.

But at least Spirit can now use her power again. Not perfect, but at least she got a fighting chance; something she basically hadn't had in a very long time.

• Akumakaji

You got the wisdom of the ages, old man, but no one wants to listen and they call you an ol' fool. This is the oldest tragedy thats gonna repeat itself over and over and over again. So lets just kick back and enjoy the show.

• jakubr21
    jakubr21 Member Posts: 173

I am glad that it got changed, I main billy and his chase music is so loud that you can’t even hear footsteps and with iron will the survivors become silent for billy + his chainsaw is super loud.

• Akumakaji

"IW 75% gRuNt ReDuCtIoN uTtErLy 100% uSeLeSs NoW!1!1"

• IamFran
    IamFran Member Posts: 1,616

The perk needed a nerf, removing completely one of the few ways a killer have for tracking a survivor and the only reliable one mid chase was a bit too much, not to mention it completely counter the spirit power and nullifying a killer power with a single perk is never good. With weak m1 killers in strong tiles and main buildings is quite frustrating when you face several Iron Wills (which was quite frequent)

However I think the part of the perk being disabled when the survivor is exhausted isn't necessary.

• Sheridan_LT
    Sheridan_LT Member Posts: 417

In every video game it is literally unavoidable to find a "meta", the one perk, ability or character that is so useful in most situations that you should ALWAYS try to bring it.

It is hard to delete the idea of a "meta" from a game because there will always be a meta. One will grow in the place of this one.

• Sheridan_LT
    Sheridan_LT Member Posts: 417

Honestly the exhaustion condition is fine, please do nerf Dead Harding or Lithing away with Iron Will. It's so ridiculous.

• Akumakaji

Yeah, its just inevitable that mathematically speaking something will be the best and nearly every time people will gravitate towards this option.

It becomes problematic, though, if one option stands head and shoulders above everything else, as we have seen with Dead Hard and its utter dominance of the exhaustion slot.

Other games usually solve this problem by somehow nerfing the strongest options, buffing the weakest ones and let the community figure out a new meta, until the next meta change. Lather. Rinse. Repeat. What I would wish for DBD is that they do something like this every mid chapter or better every month. It doesn't always have to be hits big as this time, but by constantly nerfing that whats strongest and buffing that whats weakest you will keep things fresh and force people to tinker with their builds instead of always bringing the 4-6 boring meta perks to every singel match.

• StibbityStabbity
    StibbityStabbity Member Posts: 1,839

Leveling out all Survivor sounds would be a great start, as has been mentioned.

Also, I'm sorta wondering how the sounds are coded that would cause the "bug". If the grunts are coded to be tied in with the breathing, then muting the grunts might have used the breathing link to mute that as well, which caused the issue. Either the grunts are classified as a form of breathing in the code, so all breathing gets muted, or they are directly linked in some way, which has the same affect. To fix the bug, they might have to change how the game adds grunts to an injured Survivor. I dunno though. Kinda fun to think about and try to solve, though.

I personally don't like the idea of IW outright muting a Survivor. Between this game and R6Siege, these are two games I actually appreciate for making sound so important to playing well. That said, IW (and honestly NO perk) should be made completely useless with an overzealous nerf, especially on account of a bug that made the perk not work as intended in the first place.

Also, the exhaustion bit is just too much. Now, if it was old IW but with the Exhaustion clause, okay. If it's new IW but no Exhaustion clause, okay. Together is just too much.

• GoshJosh
    GoshJosh Member Posts: 4,992

All that was needed was fixing there being no breathing sounds while injured. But instead we now send another perk to the perk graveyard. Goodbye, Iron Will.

Hope killers don’t get too mad with the healing and gen rush speeds!

• DrDeepwound
    DrDeepwound Member Posts: 2,557

was just about finished p3ing Ash, but not now, I like Bill and Ash and Laurie, but way too noisey without Iron Will. I run IW on all survs

• Gindaen
    Gindaen Member Posts: 374

Or maybe just quieten survivors as a whole. I've never met anyone that breaths as loud as Jeff, you can almost hear his breathing across the map.

If someone is in a room and crouched in the corner, I guarantee I would not be able to hear their breathing unless I crouched down right beside them. All the survivors breathing is too loud.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

I agree that 75% reduction is still probably decent, I know I’ll have trouble hearing survivors at that volume.

The bigger nerf is actually that it turns off if the survivor is Exhausted. That’s going to make Iron Will a lot less useful for any survivor who uses any Exhaustion perk before or during a chase.

• Tsukah
    Tsukah Member Posts: 390

Just make Iron Will have 80/85/90% noise reduction and get rid of the exhausted status effect

• Murgleïs

No, that’s still broken. 90% is insane, almost silent, it’s absurd. You cannot hear much at 75%, anything above this value is overkill.

The exhaustion is good too to prevent SB being too strong with IW.

• Phantom_
    Phantom_ Member Posts: 1,328

This indeed!

I don't play certain killers either, because can you imagine having to listen to Bird Ladies' shrieks the entire match? Or the Plague's "whispers" being so loud you can't sometimes hear survivors without IW.

Can they all take notes from Ghostface and Michael on how to be less loud, pls and ty 😂

notOtzdarva has some great videos for both player sides! I'd definitely look at some of those if you have the time/would like to 😄