The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

A Freddy Mains opinion on Freddy and how I would change him

PhantomMask20763
PhantomMask20763 Member Posts: 5,176
edited December 2018 in General Discussions
So I've decided to make a thread based on Freddy and what I think of him right now. While Freddy is very lacking in power compared to the other killers I see some potential in him to be a great killer. Now while a rework is great and all, it would be nice to see some of his addons revisited and I think it would be better to just see a few QoL buffs instead.

1) What Freddy lacks is stopping survivors and their actions. A nice change to this would be so that survivors cannot interact with anything but pallets and windows during the dream transition.

2) His power is very lacking compared to all the other killers as well as all it let's him do is hit the survivors. We should add something else to it instead of just completly reworking it such as having a small slowdown to the survivors when put in the dream state and if not that then make it an addon.

3) Dream transition time might not actually need to be addressed. Ok you can call me crazy but sometimes it's better to have the seven second phase. It let's me mindgame survivors with the phasing in and out of reality and the dream. While it sucks during endgame it's pretty good early to mid-game. I think it would be good by default so Freddys dream transition time lowers throughout the match.
5 gens left 7 seconds,
4 gens left 6 seconds,
3 gens left 5 seconds,
2 gens left 4 seconds,
1 gen left 3 seconds,
No gens left 2 seconds.
Of course if we do that we have to revisit the block addons. Make them do crazy things like show illusionary pallets or fake red stain and fake terror radius like the doctor. That would be pretty cool.

4)  Now the Aura reading, this is one of Freddys most useful tools as it let's me disengage in a chase if I can and ambush the survivor from somewhere they don't expect. So I don't think it needs changing.

5) Now here is one of Freddys weakest points, waking up. Right now waking up is extremly easy. I'd suggest removing self care skillchecks from waking you up and only have gens awake the survivor. I'd be ok with medkits waking you up as well since that requires and item. Also teammates should still be able to wake you up but it should take a bit longer like 6 or 7 seconds and maybe have addons that affect that.

6)   Reduce the lullaby radius by 4m so it becomes 20m. This is to help him sneak up on the survivor a bit better but it's not really an issue so I wouldnt mind if it stayed the same, more of a personal thing ya know.

7)  Now the Dream world. Seriously, why is it so dark?!?! It should be brighter for him because sometimes spotting survivors from afar can be very difficult. Reduce the fog a little bit and we should be good.

8)   Some of his addons need to be reworked like paint thinner, garden rake and prototype claw. Right now they're pretty bad and there's really no other reason to take them aside from better mindgaming with the phasing. I'd suggest that once the survivor is put in the dream world Freddy gains a burst of speed similar to how wraith's windstorm was. Garden rake should be a burst of speed for 1 second, prototype claw for 1.5 seconds and paint thinner for 2 seconds. The rest of his addons are decent, all I would change is remove the negative from red paint brush because you're essentially a huntress without hatchets or a hag without traps and Freddy is already pretty lacking in the chase area.

9)   Now for his perks. Remember me is fine where it currently is, Blood warden should be kept the same as well. Fire Up definently needs changing, it could be pretty decent if the numbers get buffed. 
Currently its
2 tokens 10% action speed bonus
 3 tokens 12% action speed bonus 
 4 tokens 14% action speed bonus.
I think it should start with
 1 token 14% action speed bonus,
 2 tokens 16% action speed bonus,
 3 tokens 18% action speed bonus,
4 tokens 20% action speed bonus and
5 tokens 22% action speed bonus.
 Either that or rework it completely. I would make it so that the tokens are gained by hook rescues instead of gens done similar to devour hope but without the range limit.

Well I think that's it, thanks for reading if you've made it this far and I'd like to hear you're feedback as well. I've mained Freddy ever since he released an he was the First killer I decided to put the time in to p3, I've gotten time to learn him and even though he's weaker than the other killers I still like to play him. Have a good night/day and remember, when you fall asleep you're in HIS world <3

Post edited by PhantomMask20763 on

Comments

• PhantomMask20763
    Forgot to add this in but I came up with a few more things for him as well such as addons and things that relate to his power.
     1) Torn cloth (common) - you are visible to survivors that aren't asleep gain 100% more bloodpoints in the deviousness category.

2) Let Freddy see his phasing in and out so others can get a better idea on how to mindgame with it and if this can't be part of his base kit an addon for it would be nice.

3) There should also be some addons affecting his phasing such as faster or slower phasing to give you a better chance to mindgame 
  • PhantomMask20763

@Peanits @MandyTalk Could one of you guys move this thread to the killers section? I think it would get some more attention there, the discussion is really quiet right now

• FayeZahara
    FayeZahara Member Posts: 965
    Always felt like they undersold the character. Always look forward to a new prototype that hopefully has me swearing the whole time.
    Freddy never felt like freddy and will be singing sandman song til he is fixed.
    These topics make me happy cause brings to hopefully a solution that doesn't get messed up the 2nd time.
  • PhantomMask20763

@FayeZahara said:
    Always felt like they undersold the character. Always look forward to a new prototype that hopefully has me swearing the whole time.

Freddy never felt like freddy and will be singing sandman song til he is fixed.

These topics make me happy cause brings to hopefully a solution that doesn't get messed up the 2nd time.

I'm glad others feel the same way!!!

• LRGamer
    LRGamer Member Posts: 160
    Powers should give Killers an advantage over Survivors and since it’s an Asymmetrical Game it’s not only the Powers that should do that.
    Anyways I always thought it would be awesome if he could walk through obstacles since he is not real and should thus not be bound by the Rules of Physics
  • bendermac
    bendermac Member Posts: 772

Survivors should not be able to hit Freddy with a pallet until they are in the dream world. They drop it before or during transition Freddy can just past through them if he gets hit by them.

• BabyKillerTears
    BabyKillerTears Member Posts: 24

Lol no, he's already in a good spot

• PhantomMask20763

@BabyKillerTears said:

Freddy is considered the worst killer in this game...How is he good in any way?

• BabyKillerTears
    BabyKillerTears Member Posts: 24

@PhantomMask20763 said:

@BabyKillerTears said:

He's not the worst, you're probably just not good at Freddy, I 4k with him all the time and so does Tru3Talent

• FayeZahara
    FayeZahara Member Posts: 965

@PhantomMask20763 said:

@BabyKillerTears said:

He's not the worst, you're probably just not good at Freddy, I 4k with him all the time and so does Tru3Talent

I hardly don't not 4k with freddy but i agree from a freddy stance he is the worst. He ain't freddy if watched all the movies he is the most not like his character. Myers is less immersive also now that they balanced lunges but he still stalks well. ): Some say pig is bad but i think she can play like her character in movie. Leatherface swing reminds me of him alot but i also would enjoy see his chainsaw over head carry run.
    If you can tell me a "gotcha #########" moment from freddy. I will concede he is the best

• HatCreature
    HatCreature Member Posts: 3,298

I like the idea of the Gens affecting his power and fast people go to sleep, it actually makes sense too because the Survivors are working really hard to repair those Gens and would feel really tired at the end so BAM, go to sleep faster.

Making his Block addons like Doctor's is kind of cheap and lazy though but making them do other things to damper Survivors would be really cool because he is called The Nightmare and making them see things or giving them bad effects in the dream world also makes sense and is cool.

Now not allowing Self-Care to wake you up does not make sense, you're healing yourself and you intentionally hurt yourself but don't wake up? Pretty sure someone does that in several of his movies and it works.

I don't know if you know this but I looked it up because I heard Freddy was nerfed before release but Freddy gets slower when he puts someone in a Dream Transition. They did that because Freddy was ''op'' I think that should be taken out, they have 7 seconds to run, get to a pallet, a window and they get glimpses of him.

I have my own Freddy Re-Work page but yours is really cool too, I love the Block ideas. Here's mine if you want to pick at it.

https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/19280/freddy-re-work-suggestions#latest

• PigNRun
    PigNRun Member Posts: 2,428
    edited December 2018

I think Blood Warden should trigger even if you hook someone and exit gates havent been opened yet. :P Basically, the effect is applied once the gates are opened.

• Wolf74
    Wolf74 Member Posts: 2,959

@PhantomMask20763
    You forgot some major issues.
    1. Freddy needs to be able to pick up downed survivor even if they recieve healing from awake survivor.
    2. Awake survivor need to be removed from hit detection (no tanking hits without effect)
    3. Dream demon power should be an interrupt, so that survivor lose their progress on actions like cleansing and unhooking.

• PhantomMask20763

@Wolf74 said:
    @PhantomMask20763
    You forgot some major issues.
    1. Freddy needs to be able to pick up downed survivor even if they recieve healing from awake survivor.
    2. Awake survivor need to be removed from hit detection (no tanking hits without effect)
    3. Dream demon power should be an interrupt, so that survivor lose their progress on actions like cleansing and unhooking.

Ah yes, how could I forget those. Yeah all of those need to be changed. This puts him at a pretty big disadvantage and can ruin his game

• PhantomMask20763

@HatCreature said:
    I like the idea of the Gens affecting his power and fast people go to sleep, it actually makes sense too because the Survivors are working really hard to repair those Gens and would feel really tired at the end so BAM, go to sleep faster.

Making his Block addons like Doctor's is kind of cheap and lazy though but making them do other things to damper Survivors would be really cool because he is called The Nightmare and making them see things or giving them bad effects in the dream world also makes sense and is cool.

Now not allowing Self-Care to wake you up does not make sense, you're healing yourself and you intentionally hurt yourself but don't wake up? Pretty sure someone does that in several of his movies and it works.

I don't know if you know this but I looked it up because I heard Freddy was nerfed before release but Freddy gets slower when he puts someone in a Dream Transition. They did that because Freddy was ''op'' I think that should be taken out, they have 7 seconds to run, get to a pallet, a window and they get glimpses of him.

I have my own Freddy Re-Work page but yours is really cool too, I love the Block ideas. Here's mine if you want to pick at it.

https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/19280/freddy-re-work-suggestions#latest

The Self care thing while it makes sense lore wise, it completely breaks him and it should be removed because nearly everyone runs it.

• Poweas
    Poweas Member Posts: 5,873

Wait I'm sorry you went through that massive list of buffs when u could literally add 1 change to make him 2nd best.
    Undo his nerfs
    That's literally all he needs to become viable.

• Crizpen
    Crizpen Member Posts: 129
    The problem I see with Freddy is that he only becomes a competitive killer with the use of Class Photo and Blue Dress.

Yeah, I know people utilize blocks to reduce the transition time, but I view that as trying to reduce his weakness, which is only effective to a point. IMO, it’s better to play to his strengths, and that’s putting people to sleep and keeping them there.

To put survivors to sleep: Class Photo. Keeping them there: Green Dress.

As often as not, I’m not chasing the first survivor I find, or the second: I’m forcing them to waste time trying to get out of the dream world either by running around to find another survivor or doing gens at half speed.

Absolutely, they’ll get out before I hook the first survivor I decide to chase, but then BBQ tells me where to find them again. It stops, or severely slows their ability to complete objectives while I, as an unremarkable killer, have the time to get my hooks and kills.

My last three Freddy games were (before BBQ/Pudding): 32k points, 32k points, 31.7k points. And the last, I carried the last survivor to the hatch and dropped them off.

That said, it was fun while it lasted. Distortion and lockers completely wreck the build to the point of being laughable. If even half the survivors are running it, and I expect they will, I won’t be able to build the early game momentum to effectively slow down the match.

Whatever the changes to Freddy, his strength will have to be something other than aura reading.
  • PhantomMask20763

@Crizpen said:
    The problem I see with Freddy is that he only becomes a competitive killer with the use of Class Photo and Blue Dress.

Yeah, I know people utilize blocks to reduce the transition time, but I view that as trying to reduce his weakness, which is only effective to a point. IMO, it’s better to play to his strengths, and that’s putting people to sleep and keeping them there.

As often as not, I’m not chasing the first survivor I find, or the second: I’m forcing them to waste time trying to get out of the dream world either by running around to find another survivor or doing gens at half speed.

Absolutely, they’ll get out before I hook the first survivor I decide to chase, but then BBQ tells me where to find them again. It stops, or severely slows their ability to complete objectives while I, as an unremarkable killer, have the time to get my hooks and kills.

My last three Freddy games were (before BBQ/Pudding): 32k points, 32k points, 31.7k points. And the last, I carried the last survivor to the hatch and dropped them off.

That said, it was fun while it lasted. Distortion and lockers completely wreck the build to the point of being laughable. If even half the survivors are running it, and I expect they will, I won’t be able to build the early game momentum to effectively slow down the match.

Whatever the changes to Freddy, his strength will have to be something other than aura reading.

Yeah, distortion will hurt Freddy the most of all the killers. Same with the locker changes, now survivors can just afk in lockers and wait for their teamates to rescue them, hopefully not all these changes make it to live

• HatCreature

@PhantomMask20763 said:

@Crizpen said:

Yeah, distortion will hurt Freddy the most of all the killers. Same with the locker changes, now survivors can just afk in lockers and wait for their teamates to rescue them, hopefully not all these changes make it to live

Well hopefully everyone won't have Distortion when you play Freddy and we don't know if their tokens will just constantly be taken away when they are out oif your terror radius or if it's every time they leave your tettor radius. If it's the former then it's not a big deal but if it's latter then yeet, yeah it'll hurt him the most.

• Crizpen
    Crizpen Member Posts: 129

@HatCreature said:

@PhantomMask20763 said:

@Crizpen said:

Well hopefully everyone won't have Distortion when you play Freddy and we don't know if their tokens will just constantly be taken away when they are out oif your terror radius or if it's every time they leave your tettor radius. If it's the former then it's not a big deal but if it's latter then yeet, yeah it'll hurt him the most.

Even if they don't have Distortion, if they aren't being chased, any SWF will just jump in a locker until someone else gets there to wake them up.

• HatCreature

@Crizpen said:

@HatCreature said:

@PhantomMask20763 said:

@Crizpen said:

Even if they don't have Distortion, if they aren't being chased, any SWF will just jump in a locker until someone else gets there to wake them up.

Oh, the lockers, it didn't even occur to me that would work on Freddy, damn that sucks :(

• Onionthing
    Onionthing Member Posts: 469

Dude just removing collision with anything in the awake world would work wonders, however I am not sure how palettes would work. I don't have Freddy, but does he have the ability to create fake pallets like the doctor? If not, he should, without an addon, in the dream world. It may be OP but fake generators in the dream world or other such mind games would be interesting as well. Just make being in the dream world more dangerous than just getting hit, and stop having every little thing in the waking world get in his way (aside from waking up actions.)