Is a GG so difficult?

Options
2»

Comments

• RoKrueger
    RoKrueger Member Posts: 1,371
    Options
    If I get a "gg" as a killer it means I did something wrong. If I could not make you misserable is because I played badly. 
    I love to read the prose of an angry salty survivor that could not escape. You should too, we are not killers to make friends  :p
  • Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675
    Options

@KatFever78 said:
    In the end, I will continue to say gg. If you get offended that's your problem. 

Like I said, if your intent is to just say GG, do as you please, but you'll be perceived as an ######### many times thanks to your fellow Survivors. If your intent is to get your point across, you'll need a couple more words (or just say nothing).

• thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223
    Options

@Orion I bet you are the type of person to scream at the customer service rep for trying to help you because you think they are only being polite for a paycheck. God forbid people actually have some manners.

• Orion
    edited December 2018
    Options

@thesuicidefox said:
    @Orion I bet you are the type of person to scream at the customer service rep for trying to help you because you think they are only being polite for a paycheck. God forbid people actually have some manners.

I'm pointing out the difference between how you intend to come across and how you actually come across. People you talk with aren't usually mind-readers, so they don't know how you intend to come across; all they've got is their own perspective. Since "GG" in DbD is mostly used to really rub it in after you made the other side's game as devoid of fun as possible, even well-intended people will be misunderstood, thanks to the #########.

Since we're being judgemental, you strike me as the type of person who blames a misunderstanding on the person who didn't know what you meant to say, because you implicitly expect everyone to know your intentions.

• KatFever78
    KatFever78 Member Posts: 26
    Options
    Orion said:

@KatFever78 said:

Like I said, if your intent is to just say GG, do as you please, but you'll be perceived as an [BAD WORD] many times thanks to your fellow Survivors. If your intent is to get your point across, you'll need a couple more words (or just say nothing).

It's not my problem how someone chooses to perceive my gg. If they want to take it the wrong way then that's their problem. I'm not going to baby anyone out of fear of offending them.
    Or maybe I should do the following; GG, and why I feel that way. An essay by KatFever78. 🙄
  • Orion
    Options

@KatFever78 said:
    It's not my problem how someone chooses to perceive my gg. If they want to take it the wrong way then that's their problem. I'm not going to baby anyone out of fear of offending them.
    Or maybe I should do the following; GG, and why I feel that way. An essay by KatFever78. 🙄

If "GG" is used to troll more often than not, the natural conclusion is simply that you intend to troll. You could also choose to say nothing.

• xmenfanatic
    xmenfanatic Member Posts: 816
    Options

@KatFever78 said:
    Orion said:

@KatFever78 said:

Like I said, if your intent is to just say GG, do as you please, but you'll be perceived as an [BAD WORD] many times thanks to your fellow Survivors. If your intent is to get your point across, you'll need a couple more words (or just say nothing).

Do what you want, but don’t act like you aren’t being selfish here. And if someone calls you out for being selfish, own it.

What’s the point of even wishing people a good game if you don’t care about negatively effecting them and figure it’s their problem if you offend them?

At first I thought you meant well, but it really seems like you want the self gratification of coming off as a good person as opposed to actually giving people a real thank you/good wishes.

• Orion
    Options

@xmenfanatic said:
    Do what you want, but don’t act like you aren’t being selfish here. And if someone calls you out for being selfish, own it.

What’s the point of even wishing people a good game if you don’t care about negatively effecting them and figure it’s their problem if you offend them?

At first I thought you meant well, but it really seems like you want the self gratification of coming off as a good person as opposed to actually giving people a real thank you/good wishes.

Thank you.

• thesuicidefox
    Options

@Orion said:

@thesuicidefox said:

I'm pointing out the difference between how you intend to come across and how you actually come across. People you talk with aren't usually mind-readers, so they don't know how you intend to come across; all they've got is their own perspective. Since "GG" in DbD is mostly used to really rub it in after you made the other side's game as devoid of fun as possible, even well-intended people will be misunderstood, thanks to the #########.

Since we're being judgemental, you strike me as the type of person who blames a misunderstanding on the person who didn't know what you meant to say, because you implicitly expect everyone to know your intentions.

My intention is GG. Nothing more nothing less. If you take it for something else that's one you. Really not sure what you expect could be said that can't be irrationally misconstrued to be something else. Because everything people say online has to have some malicious underlying meaning and not just mean what they say.

• Orion
    Options

@thesuicidefox said:

@Orion said:

@thesuicidefox said:

My intention is GG. Nothing more nothing less. If you take it for something else that's one you. Really not sure what you expect could be said that can't be irrationally misconstrued to be something else. Because everything people say online has to have some malicious underlying meaning and not just mean what they say.

Like I said, you implicitly expect everyone to know your intentions. Fact is, if GG is used for trolling more often than not, then "trolling" will become the default assumption. It's the same with literally any other word or action in all of human history.

• thesuicidefox
    edited December 2018
    Options

DUDE it is not a fact that GG is for trolling. GG = GOOD GAME. Nothing more nothing less. It's been that way for the last 20 years of competitive gaming. You are the only only assuming anything. Intention is irrelevant when you take it at face value like a normal ######### person.

Like talking to a wall. A very thick wall that twists every possible thing someone says as being toxic BM. I have been playing competitive games since 2002, and have played games against others online since the early 90's. I have NEVER seen someone say GG as a way to be toxic. Literally never. If someone plans to be toxic, GG is the last thing they would ever say.

• Poweas
    Poweas Member Posts: 5,873
    Options

As killer I play OP killers (Nurse and Hag) and I either get a 'fix ur ping' excuse (when they all had ping >150) or I get a massive list about why Nurse needs a nerf. No GG, only happens when last guy gets hatch. As survivor, killers normally say GG back if they win. Or if they lose, they instantly quit or they give me a bucketload of salt. I only never say GG if I need to get into another game quick, if I gtg or if I cba waiting for the game to finish.

• Orion
    Options

@thesuicidefox said:
    DUDE it is not a fact that GG is for trolling. GG = GOOD GAME. Nothing more nothing less. It's been that way for the last 20 years of competitive gaming. You are the only only assuming anything. Intention is irrelevant when you take it at face value like a normal [BAD WORD] person.

Like talking to a wall. A very thick wall that twists every possible thing someone says as being toxic BM. I have been playing competitive games since 2002, and have played games against others online since the early 90's. I have NEVER seen someone say GG as a way to be toxic. Literally never. If someone plans to be toxic, GG is the last thing they would ever say.

What does the "LOL" reaction mean in the Dead by Daylight forum?

• Terratoast
    Terratoast Member Posts: 126
    Options

When I 'gg', I usually add in 'gl on your next game' to avoid the problem where they assume my statement was made with sarcasm.

If they still assume I'm being sarcastic after that there's probably nothing positive that I could say that they wouldn't take as sarcastic. That's their fault, not mine.

• Orion
    Options

@KatFever78 said:
    Simple fact is I say gg to be nice. I can't control how someone perceives it. I don't do it for self gratification. I do it because it's polite. I'm sorry that you've met some toxic players but it's not going to stop me from giving a genuine gg. 

"I don't do it for self gratification"
    "I'm sorry that you've met some toxic players but it's not going to stop me from giving a genuine gg"
    So you don't care about the other guy; it's all about what you want to do. That's self-gratification.

• KatFever78
    Options
    Orion said:

@KatFever78 said:
    Simple fact is I say gg to be nice. I can't control how someone perceives it. I don't do it for self gratification. I do it because it's polite. I'm sorry that you've met some toxic players but it's not going to stop me from giving a genuine gg. 

"I'm sorry that you've met some toxic players but it's not going to stop me from giving a genuine gg"
    So you don't care about the other guy; it's all about what you want to do. That's self-gratification.

Sure, whatever helps you sleep at night. You want to find a reason to be offended so have at it. 
  • Orion
    edited December 2018
    Options

@KatFever78 said:
    Sure, whatever helps you sleep at night. You want to find a reason to be offended so have at it. 

I'm just pointing out what you're saying. The interaction is between two people: yourself and the guy you're talking to. You don't care what the other person thinks, so only one person matters to you - yourself. That's what @xmenfanatic was saying as well.

• xmenfanatic
    xmenfanatic Member Posts: 816
    Options

@KatFever78 said:
    Orion said:

@KatFever78 said:

You’re glossing over the fact you are doing it for self gratification, maybe not on a conscious level, but habitually. Often times politeness is perceived as kindness even though in reality they aren’t one in the same. Doing something and saying that it doesn’t matter if you offend someone is a statement that blatantly disregards someone’s feelings and provides you with the satisfaction of being kind, even though you very well may not be and could be offensive.

Maybe “gg” isn’t th exact issue, but with what you have said you are putting your own self interest over the receiving party’s interest.

It doesn’t make you a bad person because a lot of societies enforce the idea that politeness is kindness, but it’s truly developed as a social structure that works off of suppressing voices and forcing a level of acquiescence.

If you genuinely care, you’ll do more to actively communicate. If you don’t care about them and don’t want to bother, you’re choosing to actively do something that will upset certain people.

Once again, you can be selfish, but own it and don’t pretend it’s coming from an altruistic place. Own the fact you’re doing it for yourself, or own the fact you’re okay with upsetting some people for the sake of maybe letting others know you had fun.

• BeanieEnthusiast
    BeanieEnthusiast Member Posts: 213
    Options
    No because I’m a petty and spiteful player and I didn’t win so wah wah wah no gg for you!!!
  • Condorloco_26
    Condorloco_26 Member Posts: 1,714
    Options

OP says GG meaning good game and suddenly is responsible for how the receiver will interpret the message? Come on guys! He, or She (most probably) is actually being a kind player or trying at least. What's the problem with that? It's the reader's responsibility to understand that as a Good Game or as a Git Gud. And if you seriously want to know, just ask directly.

• Sandman1053
    Sandman1053 Member Posts: 16
    Options
    What I find funny about this conversation is how someone can argue that politeness and kindness are two different things and turn around and say someone doesn't care when what they actually said is they can't help how they take a gg. "I can't help how someone feels" is not the same thing as "I don't care how someone feels." Don't play the meanings game and get things wrong yourself.

Like most people are saying, GG means GG. It is in no fault of the sender, nor should it be, how the GG is perceived.

If a survivor/killer is NOT playing toxic, it is no fault of their own if the other takes it the wrong way. On the other hand I do understand is that survivor/killer IS being toxic and sends a GG that it COULD be mistaken even if it was a ment well.
  • KatFever78
    Options
    What I find funny about this conversation is how someone can argue that politeness and kindness are two different things and turn around and say someone doesn't care when what they actually said is they can't help how they take a gg. "I can't help how someone feels" is not the same thing as "I don't care how someone feels." Don't play the meanings game and get things wrong yourself.

Like most people are saying, GG means GG. It is in no fault of the sender, nor should it be, how the GG is perceived.

If a survivor/killer is NOT playing toxic, it is no fault of their own if the other takes it the wrong way. On the other hand I do understand is that survivor/killer IS being toxic and sends a GG that it COULD be mistaken even if it was a ment well.
    Exactly! I can't help how they perceive my GG, but it doesn't mean I don't care. If I didn't care I wouldn't have said GG to begin with. 

I understand that there are toxic players in the game. I've run across many myself. Your outlook on life must be pretty grim if you're assuming all players are toxic and everything they say is toxic. You must be fun at parties. 
  • KatFever78
    Options

OP says GG meaning good game and suddenly is responsible for how the receiver will interpret the message? Come on guys! He, or She (most probably) is actually being a kind player or trying at least. What's the problem with that? It's the reader's responsibility to understand that as a Good Game or as a Git Gud. And if you seriously want to know, just ask directly.

Exactly. And yes, I'm a she...lol It's sad that I have to write a novel to explain why I said GG so as not to offend anyone. 🙄
  • TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 6,832
    Options

I'm on PS4. On the rare occasion a survivor sends me a "gg," I say "gg" back. It only ever happens if I farm with them, though. I've never gotten a "gg" for killing them.

I do wish people would say more than "gg." When I respond to a "gg," I'll usually expand on it, like "gg thanks for farming with me." I've been confused at times as to what the sender means. Just something as simple as "gg I had fun" would be great for conveying sincerity.

However, if you're just going to say "gg ez," keep it to yourself.

• Alphaphalt
    Alphaphalt Member Posts: 259
    edited December 2018
    Options

Tbh it doesn't really mean anything.

• only1biggs
    only1biggs Member Posts: 1,178
    Options

@Wolf74 said:
    From my experience the survivor posting "gg" only mean that to their mates, not the killer.

@Orion said:
    I've rarely had Survivors say "GG" seriously. It's either to the other Survivors, as @Wolf74 said, or to mock the Killer. So yeah, it's difficult to assume good faith when the majority proves they don't do it to be friendly.

Gee, I WONDER why? Could it be because you're both so bad at playing killer, you feel you HAVE to camp, thus ruining the other players experiences?

Nah, couldn't be.

HAS to be the survivors fault ;)

• Mc_Harty
    Mc_Harty Member Posts: 3,293
    Options

Who the ######### cares? It doesn't mean anything either way.

• Killigma
    Killigma Member Posts: 372
    Options

I have found "qq" is easier than "gg"

• KatFever78
    Options
    Killigma said:

qq? 
  • Condorloco_26
    Options

@Killigma said:

What does that mean?

• Condorloco_26
    Options

@KatFever78 said:

Exactly. And yes, I'm a she...lol It's sad that I have to write a novel to explain why I said GG so as not to offend anyone. 🙄

I think it's cool having female players in the community, and being kind is a good thing too.

• MegMain98
    MegMain98 Member Posts: 2,907
    Options
    This game is the main reason why I have my messages on PS4 set to only friends can message me. One time I got somebody who told me I wasn’t camping with Freddy while his buddies were doing a a tree glitch on the Red Forest map. Some “GG” are legit but a lot are sarcastic.
  • FoggyDownpour
    FoggyDownpour Member Posts: 288
    Options
    This is always a touchy topic due to the abuse to many have gone through.

When I'm playing on PS4, I very rarely message the killer directly, and pretty much only when I had a particularly amazing game and I wanted to tell them that. Console players get really apprehensive about pm contact, but generally seem to relax a bit easier than pc players once they know you're not a jerk.

When I'm playing on PC, I always leave a "ggwp!" along with some type of text emote to make it clear that I'm being genuine. There are times I get lashed at for it, but I would say at least 80% of the killers I play against loosen up or at least remain guarded and civil. I've gotten lots of killers saying that they were waiting for some scathing remark and were surprised to see it was real, and it makes me feel good to know that I could show them a courtesy that so many others don't. 

It also helps that I'm not toxic in game and I also say 'ggwp' regardless of whether I escaped or died. My advice is to not give up on common courtesy, just try to find a way that others respond to in a mostly positive manner.
  • ChesterTheMolester
    ChesterTheMolester Member Posts: 2,771
    edited December 2018
    Options

@Wolf74 said:
    From my experience the survivor posting "gg" only mean that to their mates, not the killer.

@Orion said:
    I've rarely had Survivors say "GG" seriously. It's either to the other Survivors, as @Wolf74 said, or to mock the Killer. So yeah, it's difficult to assume good faith when the majority proves they don't do it to be friendly.

Gee, I WONDER why? Could it be because you're both so bad at playing killer, you feel you HAVE to camp, thus ruining the other players experiences?

Nah, couldn't be.

HAS to be the survivors fault ;)

Gee i wonder since when players stopped being responsible for their ######### behavior?

Got camped? Atleast try not to sound salty when you tell him how to play,  despite that you don't have the right to decide for him anyway.
  • KatFever78
    Options

@KatFever78 said:

I think it's cool having female players in the community, and being kind is a good thing too.

I love this game! Thank you! 😁
  • Demonsouls1993
    Demonsouls1993 Member Posts: 261
    Options
    I've played so many matches and sent the killer a GG afterwards only to not receive it back. I don't care if I was sacrificed or I escaped. If it was fair and a challenge I try to be nice. Why can't some people just send it back? If I play killer I always respond with the same. Just confused as to when this game stopped being fun and cordial. 🤔
    To me it's a matter of respect and this community lost it ages ago so no gg from us killers
  • TheHourMan
    TheHourMan Member Posts: 1,052
    Options
    The majority of games I have are with good sports. They usually say gg at the very least. And no matter what, I always ALWAYS say "Gg wp, gl on your next. Hf."