Why do survivors insist on doing a specific Gen

I know this is probably something stupid to ask but its 3 am and just do not get it.

Why do survivors insist on doing a gen that i just chased them away from.

Like if there are two or more survivors on one gen and i chase them away (and of course damage the gen), i have one survivor that im chasing and as soon as i turn my back on that gen they start working on it again.

I cant count how many times i damaged a singel gen thoes intire maches and got hits in (sometimes even hooks)

And even if go to the next gen , i check the previouse gen, low and behold their once and again on that gen.

So why do survivors suddently act like flies when i swat them away from my food.

I know that they probaply hope im stupid enough to think they suddently vanished instead of hiding behinde a wall, even though i clearly saw them and now about their confusing plan.

Sorry i dont make sense it just turned 4 am and im tried.

Comments

• Huge_Bush
    Huge_Bush Member Posts: 5,303

It could be because it feels like wasted time to just go to another gen after working on one or it could be a vital gen that would prevent a "3-gen" situation if done early on in a match.

• IlliterateGenocide
    IlliterateGenocide Member Posts: 6,016

To prevent a 3 gen, or why let a gen regress if it has progress?

• Chaos999
    Chaos999 Member Posts: 869

As a potato surv, sometimes I just don't know where another Gen is (happens to me in lerys a lot).

• anarchy753
    anarchy753 Member Posts: 4,212
    edited July 2022

Sunken cost fallacy.

Because it has been partially worked on it feels like it would be wasteful to start on a new gen, and the more they work on it and it gets regressed over and over, the more stubbornly they feel like they need to get THAT gen done to prove they can.

• M4dBoOmr
    M4dBoOmr Member Posts: 598

It's MY gen! I even gave it a Name "Matilda" so I am not going to stop

• Grigerbest
    Grigerbest Member Posts: 1,522

I noticed one thing: they always do that on high mmr, and less on lower mmr. Which basicaly means - they don't afraid of you.

Taping a regressing gen is a thing that survivors was doing for all these years. But this is not gonna be a healthy tactic after patch.

So you'll see it less happening behind your back.

• TheSubstitute
    TheSubstitute Member Posts: 2,436

The best way to notice how prevalent it is is to run Surveillance. However, my preference is only tell the survivors I'm likely to play with they can do another gen. Leave the survivors I play against when I play Killer in blissful ignorance (well, it's blissful for me that they don't go to other gens anyway).

• Kaitsja
    Kaitsja Member Posts: 1,833

You can only chase one survivor at a time. From an efficiency standpoint, it's less efficient for the survivor not being chased to go start a new gen. Why let the gen regress when they know you have to choose between dropping chase or protecting the gen?

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,238

Sunk cost fallacy a lot of the time. Players would rather be 4k'd than "waste" the 40% they already have on that one gen. Best to split up on separate gens and play it slow if a killer is defending a gen that hard.

• lauraa
    lauraa Member Posts: 3,195

ill do that rpd main lobby gen even if it kills me