Another Gamer's Honest Perspective

SirBenley10
SirBenley10 Member Posts: 4
edited July 2022 in Feedback and Suggestions

Firstly, this discussion has been created solely for the purpose of civilized communication in which constructive feedback is welcome for both roles of Killer/Survivor. With that's being said:

I've put many hours into this game and have spent a lot of money along the way (as many of us have) due to my passion for the survival horror genre. I must admit I am coming to my wits end with the current state of the game. I do primarily play Survivor and it has gotten to the point to where 90+% of my games are Killers camping after first hook, mostly within the first minutes of the game, even when no generators have been completed. Whether it's me or another friend on the hook, it's bound to happen. Additionally, if we manage to get the Survivor off the hook, the killer puts another on (who was helping get the save) and camps then until they die. As a result, I find myself getting on every day to face the same linear approach and it has made me want to stop playing entirely. I used to be excited to get on but now my thoughts have turned to "do I want to pass time watching the game from the hook or go do something else."

I feel there needs to be radical change to allow Survivors to have a fair chance at interacting in the game without this constant camp strat at the beginning of the game. I feel Killers need to be incentivized to leave hook more often because at this current state, a killer can get a 4k by camping hooks and tunneling all game long, with little effort and much reward.

In closing, I know I'm not the only one that feels this way, and I fear people like myself will.cojtinue to leave because things aren't changing.

Thanks for your time I'm reading this.

Post edited by Rizzo on

Comments

• MrPenguin
    MrPenguin Member Posts: 2,425
    edited July 2022

Well a killer really shouldn't be getting a 4k just by camping unless the survivors play into it.

Tunneling is a byproduct of the game design and would probably require a whole rework of the way survivors die to change. Like a shared hook pool or something. 1v3 is just a ton easier than 1v4, so getting there asap is the best bet.

That being said, yeah it still sucks from a fun perspective.

Unfortunately the devs seem to be going the opposite direction and be removing reasons for killer's to leave the hook. Nerfing BBQ, Ruin is dead, and gen kicking perks aren't strong enough to justify leaving now with overcharge gutted. There's not really a reason to leave hooks in the next patch, or at least less than the current one.

The way OTR and endurance work, the killer will be punished more for not tunneling than if they did. That's in addition to the hit they are already taking for not tunneling.

I really wish they sufficiently rewarded killers for not camping or tunneling. Spreading hooks around makes the most fun for everyone, but competitively you're shooting yourself in the foot.

Post edited by MrPenguin on
  • M4dBoOmr
    M4dBoOmr Member Posts: 598

weird for me, Camping & Tunneling is a rare occurrence that happens not that often tbh.

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,904

Try blaming more in game mechanics on it, its a great cover excuse for one's own in game inadequacies.

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,987

The issue is, if they want to make it so camping is not viable, the survivor nerfs to compensate would be incomprehensible. Apparently even now losing Dead Hard has them all crying about solo queue or something? Who knows. This was a love tap and off the record is more powerful than any perk prior. If THAT was enough to anger them, imagine what actually balancing the game would do. Not acceptable.

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 5,407

It doesn't happen enough for it to bother me personally, but it feels like it's one of the biggest complaints in the game (aside from DH complaints but that perk is dead now) so sooner or later they'll have to do something.

IMO they need to think outside the box and implement something like a good sportsmanship reward system. I saw someone once saying other online games have a similar thing, where players are given rewards to hand out after the game. Could be extra bp or xp in the case of DBD. I know it can be exploitable by swfs just giving them to each other, but I'd enjoy giving stuff like that out to killers and survivors. Might even help survivors cutting back on the tbagging etc.

• BubbleBuster
    BubbleBuster Member Posts: 387

League of Legends has a fairly decent system (although their rewards suck).

at the end of the game you can reward one player in your team with "honor".

giving someone else honor also gives yourself a little honor.

receiving honor by someone you don't know (you didnt join queue with them) gives you a big honor bonus

giving someone honor you know gives them less honor and yourself even less honor.

getting punished such as being chat banned for toxicity reduces your honor by an insane amount which can take months to recover from.

it s a good system if the rewards werent bad.

• JaviiMii
    JaviiMii Member Posts: 286

Tunneling and camping happens a lot and while there are situations where I get it, the instances where it's crossing a line - which is usually camping/tunneling right off the bat at four or five gens - have increased. What used to be an occasional upset/flabbergasted "why tf would they camp/tunnel at this point?!" has turned into a somewhat resigned sighed "here we go again...". Between forever-M1-Legion, slugging-not-hooking-nurse and this; if I have three matches like that in a row I just log off for a good while or just call it a day altogether. It has happened a lot over the past weeks. But don't get me wrong: there are plenty normal matches in between - it's just that this kind of unenjoyable match has reached a "critical mass" where it's hard to just shrug off and not be annoyed.

Every once in a while the whole "have hooks work like cages of atonement" crops up and while I think that mechanic probably isn't a good solution for hooks in general (the abuseability of the the despawn mechanic) it's a good starting point. There are two key aspects of camping (that then often turns into tunneling); the close proximity of the killer to the hooked person and the "unrescueability" (yes, you might get someone off the hook but if the killer then roceeds to tunnel them they're still just as dead as when they had been left on hook). But imagine instead of moving the hook if a killer has spent x amount of time in what the game considers "close proximity to the hook" the survivors wishing to rescue are presented with an alternative means to rescue their teamie. Something that takes some coordination and some time but pretty much guarantees a safe unhook and a reset for the rescued survivor (idk. interact with three things across the map that work like yellow glyphs; upon completing the interaction the hooked survivor respawns on the hook closest to a survivor).

• Reshy
    Reshy Member Posts: 402
    edited July 2022

Killers need more information and (non-chase) mobility basekit so that they have a reason to leave and apply pressure. Problem is wandering around lost most of the time isn't useful. Like the big advantage of Pain Resonance is it tells you which generator has the most progression so you know to go there, now it no longer does that. Devour Hope also has an effect like that where you get a speed boost after hooking, it's just so marginal it barely matters and the totem is very easily cleansed.

Honestly, to get killers off the hook, making a loud noise notification sound on the generator/gate with the most progression would be nice. Giving the killer a large (like 20%) long duration speed boost that lasts for 30 seconds or until they get into a chase with a survivor would also be good for getting them away from the hook. Lastly, if you want to fix the issue with end-game on it... make gates regress at 100% of the rate when not being held down, and have them shut themselves after like 30 seconds to prevent from stalling.