The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Heal teching is an exploit and nobody is talking about it

TheEmeraldTuber
TheEmeraldTuber Member Posts: 41
edited July 2022 in General Discussions

First off, when a survivor is healing a downed survivor, their hitbox contorts making it hard to hit that survivor. But you should also be able to pick up the survivor while they are being healed, or at the very least you should.

Post edited by Rizzo on

Comments

• HectorBrando
    HectorBrando Member Posts: 3,167

I think its intended, you cant interact with anything if the Survivors are interacting with it, you cant kick a gen being worked on, you cant break a pallet being vaulted and you cant interact with Survivors if another one is healing them.

• TheEmeraldTuber

But it's not a team strategy. It's only useful after the killer earned a kill at an exit gate.

• Cybil
    Cybil Member Posts: 1,163

I was just thinking about this last night. The recent changes make me think that they will get to it eventually.

It would really suck if they went the lazy route and called the exploit a feature.

• TheEmeraldTuber

But with that logic, shouldn't you also be able to grab the survivor doing the healing? You can grab during sabos and gens, so if you can't hit the downed survivor it should logically transition into a grab. Do you get what I mean or am I not explaining this well?

• Biscuits
    Biscuits Member Posts: 1,097

There is counter-play to heal tech depending on how far the downed survivor is from the exit gate. If there are multiple survivors ready to heal tech, hit the survivors that aren't healing first, people being healed cannot move. If you hit the survivor healing one by one you will allow that person to crawl incrementally between heals. If it is just one person healing very close to the exit, allow them to finish healing that person if you can wedge yourself between the downed individual and the exit, swing as soon as they get up, and auto pick up.

I am not going to say this is/isn't an exploit because it very well could be changed in the future, but for now they have no plans of banning you for doing it.

• KolbyKolbyKolby
    KolbyKolbyKolby Member Posts: 623

No you're explaining it well. Healing is the big exception on interruptable survivor actions. It makes more sense that heal teching exists than that you can't interrupt and grab healing survivors.

Though I don't think that would really change much because interrupting is done with m1/attack while picking up is done with space/interact. Survivors would just time it right so that instead of yoinking them off of a survivor you'd just smack them and healing the downed survivor in a gate would in the end yield the same results.

• Emeal
    Emeal Member Posts: 4,917

Can anyone here even demonstrate this problem? Do you have a video?

• Bwsted
    Bwsted Member Posts: 3,452

That's no exploit. That's just how interactions work. If a survivor is interacting with something, the killer won't be able to and vice versa.

They actually had to make an exception for resetting pallets with Any Means Necessary.

The hitbox thing is just high-quality coding /s. You just need to aim at their butt instead of torso. That will hit them even if they let go of the heal.

• MilManson
    MilManson Member Posts: 939

Killer should take number 1 priority in this situation, if a survivor is healing it should cancel the heal and pick up the survivor or at the least force a grab.

• Deathstroke
    Deathstroke Member Posts: 3,489

Haven't seen killer ever grap someone saboing well nobody sabos unless killer carries another survivor.

• PatchNoir
    PatchNoir Member Posts: 600

the heal tech makes the gate plays safer because if someone failed a bodyblock until the gate they can heal tech and i see how this is frustrating, i also think that we should be able to push the healers away and pickup.

But i also think that killers should get the prompt to hook when someone is saboing, wich doesnt happen, survivors can sabotage the hook from the back of the hooking side and you need to "detour" to hit him then come back to hook. Its kinda broken too but if we remove this tech, sabotage would be even more garbage

• Nos37
    Nos37 Member Posts: 4,142

"The killer messed up [by having 3 or 4 survivors alive at the end of the match]"

Tunnel harder. Got it.

• fulltonon
    fulltonon Member Posts: 5,762

Fixing it wouldn't really hurt much tbh

• Akumakaji
    Akumakaji Member Posts: 5,162
  • TeabaggingGhostface
    TeabaggingGhostface Member Posts: 3,108

Tbh if you're downed the killer should be able to pick you up, not simply watch and wait politely

• Bran
    Bran Member Posts: 2,096

I'd call healing a downed survivor so the killer cannot pick them up an exploit (or them exploiting an intended game mechanic), their hotbox contorting is just weird.

• fulltonon
    fulltonon Member Posts: 5,762

Survivors have fair chance of 4 man escape without this negligible "intended feature" tbh.

• lav3
    lav3 Member Posts: 758

I don't think it is an exploit. Somehow people have been using it more.

I'd say exploit is something like survivors can reduce fall down stagger by doing gestures (1,2).

• Firellius
    Firellius Member Posts: 4,277
    edited July 2022

The hitbox doesn't contort, it gets left behind. When a survivor starts healing their ally, they take a step forward and bend over, but their hitbox stays upright, where they were when they started it.

Post edited by Rizzo on
  • DBDVulture
    DBDVulture Member Posts: 2,437

Imagine if the developers decided that Survivors can no longer crawl out of the gate. That would fix the problem.

The reality is that there are already too many things survivors can do to deny kills. Looking at the developer notes they say the game needs more kills not fewer kills. Therefore maybe we should "fix" heal tech by making it so survivors can't leave the trial if they are on the ground - except through the hatch.

To make things fair we should allow survivors to open a hatch if they carrying a non broken key while crawling.

• akaTheBARON
    akaTheBARON Member Posts: 346

The killer does have a weapon. Hit the survivor healing. If they're too close to the exit gate, they escape, but nobody playing killer will just watch and wait.

• DBDVulture
    DBDVulture Member Posts: 2,437

"Developers said they want more kills, thats why they are giving a huge chunk of base buffs to Killers and massive nerf to almost every perk except OTR and Lightweight"

The problem with this thought is that the Gen defense perks are absolutely destroyed. Kicking a generator doesn't make any sense unless you have some "end game" scenario where one person is dead, one person is down/hooked and you are chasing another survivor. At that point everyone is "busy" and no one can take a moment to kick a generator. The only problem is that base kit regression is 1/4th of survivor repair - which is mathematically backwards.

If we look back at patch : 1.5.3 we can see that hook timers were increased to make it take 30 seconds longer for survivors to die on a hook. This means the killer objective was increased by 15 seconds for each hook state. As a result survivors started using this time to focus on generators above rescuing other survivors.

If you consider a game is supposed to be 2 kills (with no tunneling) that works out to everyone hooked at least once and two survivors hooked three times. That's a minimum of +90 seconds for survivors to complete their objectives (120 seconds in a worst case scenario). Killers are getting +50 seconds back this patch but overall chases are longer than generators take to complete (especially early game when all the pallets are up and killers need to "build up".

How long does a chase take? Generally speaking you have 20 seconds to walk over to start a chase. If they were AFK until being attacked it would take you 20 seconds to chase after them in a straight line using no pallets or map features. The second hit to down them with your weapon will require another 3 seconds (already factored into the other chase). Then you need anywhere between 10-15 seconds to pick them up and hook them. Let's add all that up : 20+20+3+10= 53 seconds. That leaves you with 17 seconds to travel across map and pop a generator before it gets completed. See the problem?

Depending on the survivor's skill and the number of available pallets they can stall each hit phase by anywhere between 10-30 seconds. If the time now becomes 20+20+3+10+20 that comes out to 73 seconds. Now you have 7 seconds to walk across map and stop two survivors simultaneously on different generators.

The devs have an expectation that the game favors the killer once the gens are all powered. That might have been the case in the early days where NOED wasn't a totem and lasted forever with a 9% speed boost.

At the very least we could have seen a change to the bloodwarden perk where that perk specifically got changed to include a change to the game where crawling survivors cannot leave the trial.

• fake
    fake Member Posts: 3,250

It is neither a technique nor an exploit.

It is just BHVR's technical expertise.

• Xendritch
    Xendritch Member Posts: 1,842

I love this is being called an exploit with all the justification of "cuz I feel like it".

I don't know why some people want a game with no meaningful interaction in it and it's not an exploit you just can't interact with an object the same time a survivor is.

• akaTheBARON
    akaTheBARON Member Posts: 346

Honestly, its grasping for straws IMO. A killer loses a hook to this out the gate from time to time. How often is it really happening though? We're talking a scenario where if multiple survivors are at the open gate right next to the exit, and they have to be close for this to work, the match was over anyways. At least the prospect for a 4k. But this is one of those things, its super frustrating so it weights heavier in their heads I guess as a kill just slipped through their fingers, so it starts being called an exploit to justify it.

• Tizzle
    Tizzle Member Posts: 696

Nice job leaving out that in patch 1.5.3 generator times increased by 10 seconds, they already got 50 seconds back.

This time generators are being increased while hook timers are staying the same.

Very smart, well thought out post.

• Tostapane
    Tostapane Member Posts: 1,613

not entirely true: if someone is sabo your hook you can directly grab the survivor who performed that action, same if they are working on a gen

• SpaghettiYOLO
    SpaghettiYOLO Member Posts: 234

I don't know. I feel like this has very little success against me lately because the survivors healing are looking to move as soon as they're hit, so any type of sudden movement on my part can potentially stop them for a second and with me already mashing pick up, I get that downed person and potentially more because the others are still full health and thus try to body block.

STBFL also comes in clutch for this situation, as does Unrelenting if you're being a cheeky bastard and running a lowered cooldown build.

• Gylfie
    Gylfie Member Posts: 643

Like others said, that would make CJ teching for a flashlight save an exploit as well because you tried to break the pallet but you couldn't because it was being interacted with.

• Entitled_survivor
    Entitled_survivor Member Posts: 828

everything is called a tech/toxic/exploit these days

• Pizzaman
    Pizzaman Member Posts: 500
    edited July 2022

When you are talking about grabbing during sabos and gens (which also applies to window and pallet vaults, cleansing totems, etc.), the survivor is interacting with an inanimate object.

When a survivor is healing another survivor, it's an interaction with a animate object.

Two different contexts, two different outcomes.

Post edited by Pizzaman on
  • Marigoria
    Marigoria Member Posts: 6,090

Everything is an exploit to some people these days.

• Alphasoul05
    Alphasoul05 Member Posts: 601
    edited July 2022

It does seem a bit silly a big, threatening killer can't pick up a downed survivor just because another survivor is healing them. Besides, if the killer wants to pick them up it isn't like there isn't counterplay with a flashlight or bodyblocking - often being a bad idea

I don't think it's bad to talk about this stuff, there's a lot of minor things in the game like this that people never discuss

• HectorBrando
    HectorBrando Member Posts: 3,167
    edited July 2022

Not the same thing, Killers cant interact with an object being interacted by a Survivor, if the Survivor is fixing a gen you cant kick it, if he is sabotaging a hook you cant hook, if healing a downed Survivor you cant lift it, you are talking about the player doing the action not about the object being interacted with, Killers can interact with a Survivor doing said actions, you can grab/attack a Survivor fixing, sabotaging, healing, vaulting, entering a locker, jumping into hatch etc. In this case downed Survivors work as an object so Killers cant lift them.

This also goes the other way around, you cant vault a pallet if its being kicked, sabotage a hook if its already being hooked and get into the hatch if the close animation is already starting.

The game follows a very simple rule, first come first served, whoever starts interacting with an object first is the one who will take priority and stop the other side from using it, the only exception is Any Means Necessary pallet reset which can be interrupted by breaking the pallet which makes sense for balance reasons or the perk would be completely busted.