The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

When could we see our MMR numbers?

MMR is a very useful number, however we have no idea what we are at and how much that number changes depending on how we play. How much do we get for escaping? How much do we get for getting 1, 2, 3, or 4 kills? How much do we lose per survivor escape? Why can we not already see this?

Comments

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531

How many games actually allow you to see it? I can’t think of any off the top of my head.

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,607

There's not really much reason to see it, though. I don't think many games give you that kind of look at the matchmaking system, it'd certainly be an oddity if there are any examples.

How exactly does it benefit you to see your numbers? All it means is that you're being matched against players with similar numbers, that's it. There's no reward or incentive to making that number increase- heck, you might even find you don't enjoy matches at a higher number, and that's just a downside with no benefit.

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,394
  • Sepex
    Sepex Member Posts: 1,451

And then we'll be bombarded with people showing us their 'elitism' MMR score screenshots for us all to enjoy.

• jesterkind

Sure, but I feel like satisfying idle curiosity of a handful of players isn't really a good enough reason to start showing the inner workings of the matchmaking system? It's junk data that'll be misleading to a ton of players, so I don't think showing it is a good idea.

• TheEmeraldTuber
    TheEmeraldTuber Member Posts: 41

But can you think of a downside? Why would it be a bad thing? Why can't streamers or people who want to constantly improve see it? Hell, it could even be good for the devs! If they wanted to run experiments, people at different MMR ratings could share how it affected their games. No matter how you look at it, it isn't a BAD thing.

• jesterkind

I can think of a few!

• It might (honestly, it almost certainly would) lead to people thinking that they're "supposed" to be making their MMR increase, which means that the things which increase MMR will be seen as an explicit incentive instead of a generalised measure of someone's overall skill level. This is a downside because it's not designed as a ranked ladder, it's designed as a matchmaker.
    • As the developers laid out, it would lead to an increase in a certain type of toxicity, where people with a lower MMR have their input entirely ignored and people with a higher MMR are given undue credit and attention for their opinions. This is bad because valuable input is only tangentially related to skill level, and because it's a bad environment to be told to stfu because you're bronze and bad and need to git gud.
    • It would almost certainly make people more unjustly mad at the MMR system because they might disagree with how much the number goes up or down based on certain games. This is a bad thing because people still think the core design of the MMR system is bad, and not just really normal and standard, which is not a thing you want to make worse.

So, we've got at least three angles from which it's a bad thing, and no angles from which it's a good thing unless you count satisfying the idle curiosity of a handful of players. I don't personally think it's a good idea, for those reasons.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,190
    edited July 2022

I'd like to see it, but there's really no point. You will see very little if any difference in the matchmaking at peak hours whether you're at 1350 MMR or 1800. You'll be matched with the same players. You can have MMR around 2000 and still be matched against players with 1/20th of your hrs. People underestimate the significance of +/-350.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,197

They don't want players to be able to reverse engineer it and manipulate their MMR.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

Hypothetically one upside to showing relative numbers or brackets is it would allow for independent verification of how well the matchmaking algorithm is pairing people up in relation to MMR ranges. More than simply for curiosity, it also can be good for bug reporting, where for instance if the devs make a behind the scenes unexpected tweak that messes up matchmaking players would maybe have some statistical data to back up their anecdotal experience of having a lot of mismatches.

And as far as the toxicity downside goes, I'm pretty skeptical the level of toxicity in the forums and aftergame chat is lowered by not showing those numbers. People who want to be rude to other people who disagree with them will still do it, they'll just use a different rationale for their behavior.

Also since MMR goes up or down based on kills and escapes players actually ARE supposed to be striving to do those things in the game. Killers are supposed to be trying to kill survivors and survivors are supposed to be trying to escape, that's how the game is designed. So the idea that killers will artificially try to "kill more often", for example, makes no sense, they're already supposed to be trying to kill as much as possible.

Now there is a possible argument that showing the exact MMR might point to some hidden parameters that can allow people to tweak their MMR up or down more than they should. But then again most people who want to game the MMR system want to lower their rating so they can face easier opponents, not raise it, and it's already obvious how to lower your MMR - you simply throw games. You don't need to know your rating at all to understand that. So I'm not exactly sure what harm in this respect knowing your rough MMR bracket or even your exact rating would have. 🤷‍♂️

And there is an actual downside to not showing the ratings at all - the lack of transparency exacerbates mistrust in the system. Personally I believe MMR is working pretty well just based on my own matches, but that's just a guess. I don't have any numbers to back it up, so I have no specific argument for someone who just says that their matches are all screwed up. Some visibility of the ratings would probably increase overall faith in the numbers, assuming it's working obviously.

• TheEmeraldTuber
    TheEmeraldTuber Member Posts: 41

EDIT: I have changed my opinion. I would like if we saw numbers from the devs for how much the MMR goes up and down, but revealing the number would be a bad thing. Thank you all for your opinions

• Akumakaji
    Akumakaji Member Posts: 5,162

And that very day the interwebs trembled, for the first sign of the apocalypse was fulfilled: someone on some random forum got convinced by opposing arguments and changed their stance.

Afterwards the world would never be the csame, again....

• cburton311
    cburton311 Member Posts: 407
    edited July 2022

Don't most of them?!, at least indirectly...like you've achieved platinum or gold tier?

That being said, i want to see my number. I want an absolute evaluation of my performance so I can see it go up or down...