Would DS be OP if the killer lost their power momentarily?

Options

The perk would need to be a little more adjusted. Let’s say the timer is decreased to 40 seconds and stun timer increased to 4 seconds.

I know the Devs wanted players to use other perks but there was a reason why it was being used often before.

DS and OTR can only do so much, Survivors rarely use BT anymore and BBQ no longer encourages to go after other survivors = Increase number in tunneling.

I am asking this because playing solo survivor has been rougher with this update.

I just wish the Devs would make “Anti-Tunnel” perks, actual “Anti-tunnel perks.” They don’t really punish hardcore tunneling killers at the moment.

If it were to be updated to make the killer loose their power momentarily. The perk will be more fitting to what is shown in the 1978 film.

Comments

• Yords
    Yords Member Posts: 5,781
    Options

absolutely

• EternalSinOfCain
    EternalSinOfCain Member Posts: 132
    Options

Hmmm... A desperation bonus you say? This idea sounds kind of cool to me. It would require a LOT of testing, but it sounds interesting. Killer can take someone out toward their objective, but at a cost if someone is tunneled out. Though what if everyone has been hooked twice, it's 1 gen left, and now the three do things even faster? Would there be a safety against the desperation bonus happening if someone wasn't actually tunneled out and everyone has had their turns on the hook? don't want to punish a killer for making a kill when he hasn't in fact tunneled anyone.

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976
    Options

Yeah it's not fool proof to say the least

It's honestly probably something they have tried before and scrapped

• Dhurl421
    Dhurl421 Member Posts: 154
    Options

This is a really interesting idea. There'd be tons of balance changes needed which is probably why we won't get something like this, which is sad. But it would be a great way to change the gameplay up and feel a lot less stale.

• mischiefmanaged
    mischiefmanaged Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 372
    Options

I generally agree with this. I think you'd have to be careful with a desperation bonus though. If I, as the killer, two hook everyone and then knock someone out, they're probably at 1 or 2 gens left. If they suddenly get a desperation bonus, even if it's small, I'm really getting punished for playing "fair". It'll end up being more profitable to tunnel someone because I need to finish the game before there are 1-2 gens left. If the bonus isn't high enough or the generators take even more time to counteract this boost, then it might make it effectively impossible for 4 survivors to escape for any match that's within a certain range of evenness.

I generally like the idea that DS stun is at 3/4 seconds and causes powers with charges to go to zero charges. It would prevent Nurse/Blight/Spirit from basically ignoring DS and it would allow M1 killers to not be so affected by it at a higher number. I imagine it's similar to Ghostface getting knocked out of his power.

Still might not help much against Huntress but you should be able to find a wall. If you're going down in a complete dead zone against Huntress or Demo, not even DS is going to save you. Just... don't do that.

And some killers this wouldn't necessarily apply to. Billy and Oni are killers where this wouldn't really make sense.

For a more permanent solution to tunneling, I think they need to add more options for your teammates to interfere with it. Anti-tunneling shouldn't necessarily be a perk you bring or a thing you do by yourself. But, if I see a teammate getting tunneled, what are my actual options? I can body block. That gives the killer a free hit and maybe even a free down. And a lot of killers will just hit and then continue chasing the person getting tunneled anyway. So now I have to have a teammate heal me for 16 seconds and the person is still being tunneled. Did I actually help or just hurt the team?

Another option is to just make all of the effects of Guardian basekit. It suppresses scratch marks and pools of blood for a certain amount of time after being unhooked. Or buffing Guardian so it shows both you and the teammate you unhooked the killer's aura.

• HectorBrando
    HectorBrando Member Posts: 3,167
    Options

Perks affecting powers are a pain in the back to tinker with, thats the reason Tinkerer got reworked. How would it work with Trapper? the traps become inactive? how about Ghostface?

• NightWolfsFury
    NightWolfsFury Member Posts: 209
    Options

This is actually an incredibly innovative way to discourage tunneling that I never thought of... Good on you. I actually really like this idea! Maybe allow diminishing returns so it doesn't punish late game? So within the first 3 minutes (give or take, random number) if a survivor is 3-hooked or takes an entire 2-hook state and then dies (to prevent abusing killing yourself on hook by attempting), this bonus is given to other survivors. Let's say an extra 20% bonus (another random number), but if the match goes past 3 minutes without a single kill, it diminishes and becomes weaker until there is no bonus provided at all if it goes on long enough.

• NightWolfsFury
    NightWolfsFury Member Posts: 209
    Options

I think I resolve that issue in my post if you would like to read it. I'm also thinking instead of time based, maybe gens remaining based. Like, 2 gens remaining and getting a kill, no desperation buff will be provided. 3 gens, 10% bonus, 4 gens, 15%, 5 gens, 20%. Random numbers, nothing is set in stone. Just a visual example of what it could look like.

• AMOGUS
    AMOGUS Member Posts: 482
    Options

For Ghosty, just disable Night Shroud and for Trapper, just give the Survivor no collision with the Killer, traps or other Survivors for a while. Fixes the issue quite nicely.

• GrimReaperJr1232
    GrimReaperJr1232 Member Posts: 1,656
    Options

I mean... yeah?

Nurse literally needs her power to do anything. She can't be without it for long. If you don't have it long (say 10 seconds) then there's no point.

Certain killers such as Clown can get by this by placing a bottle as their feet before the pick up to guarantee distance lost.

• enormous_bruh_moment
    enormous_bruh_moment Member Posts: 136
    Options

Yes it would be OP.

Nurse for one is slower than survivors by default, to compensate for the strength of her power.

If you're getting tunneled, run OTR, Overcome, Quick & Quiet, and your choice for the 4th. Inner Strength to complete the meme.

You get unhooked, you have Endurance for 80s, you get hit, you have 4s+ of speed and you run far far away, you jump in a locker quietly. Killer has no chance of finding you. You could use Lucky Break as well, or combine this with Inner Strength so you're healed up by the time you wanna leave the locker. gg

• Zeon_99
    Zeon_99 Member Posts: 463
    Options

I could see it. Make a "Crippled" status effect and killers cant use M2 abilities for 7 seconds after the stun or something. It would hurt the right killers like Nurse and Blight the most while weaker, m1 killers wont really be too bothered.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,090
    Options

Instead of increasing repair speed for each survivor dies, I have this one.

Number of Gen required to power Gates = number of survivor alive + 2.

4 survivors have to repair 6 Gen. If they done 5 Gen and one dies, Gates are powered immediately. This will make killers to decide either they last hook survivor and power Gates, or slug them and find others.

• AMOGUS
    AMOGUS Member Posts: 482
    Options

But then Killers would almost always opt to slug instead. Which... isn't super fun.

• VikingDragonXii
    VikingDragonXii Member Posts: 2,885
    Options

Unfortunately with that then you could have a suicide hook and instantly power doors

• C3Tooth
    Options

Usually survivors suicide on hook if they down too early or no hope. When all of them reach to 5 Gen, I dont think many will suicide when they're close to opening Gate.

I feel slugging is fun, but not that Nurse / Startruck / Infectious fright slugging...

I had vs a slugging Trickster (not slugging build, but just slug, only hook if all 4 down). It was a 4K but I had a blast, the match was tense, everyone are busy picking up each other, the match length was decent too.

• Carth
    Carth Member Posts: 1,177
    Options

I feel like yes and no, it totally makes sense for Blight and Nurse but what about for trap based killers? If my buddy jumps into a locker mid-chase and forces the killer to grab him out and its Hag/Trapper can I run over their traps and trigger them across the map and they can't tp/the trap just disarms or would it just disable placing the trap?

• GoshJosh
    GoshJosh Member Posts: 4,992
    edited July 2022
    Options

Not at all. It should disable all killer powers for 10 seconds upon activation; or five seconds following the stun (same result).

Edit: provided we get our five-second stun back.. which is a no brainer we should.

Post edited by GoshJosh on
  • rvzrvzrvz
    rvzrvzrvz Member Posts: 939
    Options

Lol too complex, they'll probably just revert it to 5 seconds but please remove that skillcheck, it make the perk so much worse for no reason, if you want to fight tunneling let us have one good anti tunnel perk

• Deathstroke
    Deathstroke Member Posts: 3,156
    Options

Current ds for basekit and gens increased to 100s while 4 is alive when first is killed they go down to 80s. I don't think they need changes after that as when there is 2 survivor left killer deserves win. Maybe grim embrace as basekit for killers too but only working if you hook 4 different survivors as your first 4 hooks.

• fulltonon
    fulltonon Member Posts: 5,762
    Options

too arbitrary.

• VikingDragonXii
    VikingDragonXii Member Posts: 2,885
    Options

True.....but I still like my idea....instead of increasing Gen times they could of added a mechanic where at 25, 50, and 75% a spare part spawns on the map and survivors would have to retrieve it and install it to the Gen to progress. The BNP would be changed to be used instead of the spare part. After installing a part for a set point the Gen can be repaired past that point if it gets regressed due to perk or killer kick.

• C3Tooth
    Options

I think one of the biggest problem why Survivors have to focus to complete a Gen rather than spread out Gens, is its possible for a 95% Gen regressed down to 0.

I always want survivors have to get something to continue on Gen, but I dont think Devs will ever make it happens. But I do have another idea:

• Giving Gen checkpoints of 33% - 66%. Which mean if Gen is at 50%, the lowest it can be regressed is 33%. This way, abandon a Gen for too long doesnt punish Survivors too much.
    • With checkpoints, instead of 0% progression on 5th Gen, its better for survivors to 33% progression on 3rd 4th 5th Gen, makes it much harder for Killer to patrol. Which is, survivors will spend more than to run around between Gen instead of sit in a place for 90sec.
    • Beside, they can buff regression Gen mechanic much more since the most regression it can do is 32% instead of 99.
  • Aurelle
    Aurelle Member Posts: 3,611
    Options

I wouldn't mind it, as it would actually help against killers like Blight and Nurse who can catch up to you and down you again in 1 second. And it wouldn't effect M1 killers that much.

• Ohnoes
    Ohnoes Member Posts: 608
    edited July 2022
    Options

I wouldn't mind it, the stun already worked that way for killers like plague for corrupt purge.

• SpaghettiYOLO
    SpaghettiYOLO Member Posts: 234
    Options

Last thing the game needs is more repair speed boosts. Honestly, people need to run and loop better. Hook bombing also needs to stop. Unhooking in front of the killer means your teammate basically tunneled you out of the game if it happens.

• INoLuv
    INoLuv Member Posts: 464
    edited July 2022
    Options

DS is still OP against m1 killers. Like ghostface

• FFirebrandd
    FFirebrandd Member Posts: 2,445
    Options

I've actually been toying with the idea of a Desperation Bonus for a bit now.

I think the solution would be to add in both a Desperation Bonus and a Terrible Wound mechanic at the same time. Desperation Bonus gives 25% faster repairs and healing for each dead Survivor while Terrible Wound reduces a Survivor's repair speed by 10% per time they've been hooked (not hook state lost mind you).

That way a Killer who's playing fair doesn't hand the remaining 3 Survivors a massive repair bonus when he does kill someone because all of them will be sporting 1-2 stacks of Terrible Wound. In addition, it further lowers the advantage of tunneling. The guy who's getting tunneled is much less of a threat than anyone else on the Survivor team since he'll only be able to repair at 80% efficiency.

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,988
    Options

Wow... That is probably the only way you could ever convince me to stop tunneling. Well done. You are the first person who has ever made it sound unappealing.