Dedicated servers confirmed

2»

Comments

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

@PiiFree said:
    As long as there are no region barrieres, it shouldn't be a problem.

That will create laggy trials.

• Orion

@The_Crusader said:
    Now just remove rank reset so solo is playable.

Then everyone will just slowly rank up, making rank useless and breaking the matchmaker for newcomers. Might as well get rid of rank altogether.

• The_Crusader
    The_Crusader Member Posts: 3,688
    Orion said:

@The_Crusader said:
    Now just remove rank reset so solo is playable.

Then everyone will just slowly rank up, making rank useless and breaking the matchmaker for newcomers. Might as well get rid of rank altogether.

Yeah well at the moment you get reset to green ranks everytime. It's unplayable because new players go down every 10 seconds. Not even exagerrating.

So at the moment the game feels like a chore - where you NEED to put the hours in to rank up just to have a more enjoyable experience. But you gotta suffer a lot of crappy games to do that.

If they had no rank then all it would take would be one very bad survivor to cost your team the game.
  • Orion

@The_Crusader said:
    Yeah well at the moment you get reset to green ranks everytime. It's unplayable because new players go down every 10 seconds. Not even exagerrating.

So at the moment the game feels like a chore - where you NEED to put the hours in to rank up just to have a more enjoyable experience. But you gotta suffer a lot of crappy games to do that.

If they had no rank then all it would take would be one very bad survivor to cost your team the game.

If the problem is that ranking up is too easy (and thus rank doesn't reflect skill), essentially getting rid of rank won't solve anything. Rank resets still need to happen because of newbies.

• PiiFree
    PiiFree Member Posts: 1,154

@Orion said:

@PiiFree said:
    As long as there are no region barrieres, it shouldn't be a problem.

That will create laggy trials.

That's true but at least it's only them to blame. The Killers won't suffer from that, only the people that join an SWF from China while the Host is from EU, for example. They'll currently end up in an european Killers lobby and in summer they'll end up on an european dedicated server. The difference is that they can't blame the Killer anymore :p

At least that's what I expect it to be like.

• powerbats
    powerbats Member Posts: 7,068

@Orion said:

@PigNRun said:

@Orion said:

@powerbats said:

@Attackfrog said:
    As a killer, if survivors can't blame me for their ping/latency anymore, does this mean survivors and killers will finally get along!?

For most it'll improve things, while for some others it'll make things bit a worse and the ones that're going to hate it the most are the lag switchers, the hackers etc.

I wonder what the people who blame the Killer for their own crappy connection will say now...

"Killers are DDoSing the servers! Thats why I died!"

Sounds about right.

I'm sure that'll be both sides doing it because both sides have people that can't admit their potato skills are just that potato skills.

• Orion

@powerbats said:

@Orion said:

@PigNRun said:

@Orion said:

@powerbats said:

@Attackfrog said:
    As a killer, if survivors can't blame me for their ping/latency anymore, does this mean survivors and killers will finally get along!?

For most it'll improve things, while for some others it'll make things bit a worse and the ones that're going to hate it the most are the lag switchers, the hackers etc.

I wonder what the people who blame the Killer for their own crappy connection will say now...

Sounds about right.

I'm sure that'll be both sides doing it because both sides have people that can't admit their potato skills are just that potato skills.

Only one side has had to deal with being the host, just saying.

• powerbats

@Orion said:

@powerbats said:

@Orion said:

@PigNRun said:

@Orion said:

@powerbats said:

@Attackfrog said:

Sounds about right.

Only one side has had to deal with being the host, just saying.

That's true but both sides suffer when one side lags badly and if the host does it screws everyone and same for one survivor screwing the other survivors over.

• Jed
    Jed Member Posts: 254
    edited December 2018
    powerbats said:

@Jed said:
    Hehe I wonder why they are doing this...hmm to make the game better? Sorry..it wasnt that long ago I remember arguing with some people on these forums about dedicated servers. I guess this announcement just proves my point hehe.

The points some of were arguing about were that it wasn't a panacea that would solve everything which quite a few didn't seem to understand. There was also the cost and that it took time to get everything in place yet people all thought it should happen immediately.

Then you have to realize that to change it from P@P to dedicated servers requires an immense code rewrite from the ground up, that doesn't just magically happen. Hence the console optimizations that're coming and why it's not happening until summer 2019.

Ok sure but I kept asking why do people ask for dedicated servers and why do most competitive AAA games have them if they are worse. Nobody would answer and just kept suggesting dedicated servers would be no good or not necessary for DBD. Well this announcement proves they are wrong hehe.
  • powerbats

@Jed said:
    powerbats said:

@Jed said:

Hehe I wonder why they are doing this...hmm to make the game better? Sorry..it wasnt that long ago I remember arguing with some people on these forums about dedicated servers. I guess this announcement just proves my point hehe.

The points some of were arguing about were that it wasn't a panacea that would solve everything which quite a few didn't seem to understand. There was also the cost and that it took time to get everything in place yet people all thought it should happen immediately.

Then you have to realize that to change it from P@P to dedicated servers requires an immense code rewrite from the ground up, that doesn't just magically happen. Hence the console optimizations that're coming and why it's not happening until summer 2019.

Ok sure but I kept asking why do people ask for dedicated servers and why do most competitive AAA games have them if they are worse. Nobody would answer and just kept suggesting dedicated servers would be no good or not necessary for DBD. Well this announcement proves they are wrong hehe.

Actually most of us that gave good responses explained as I did many times why it wasn't feasible at the time and why it wasn't a panacea. To say that nobody would answer is being dishonest at worst and completely ignorant/oblivious on the other.

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200
    edited December 2018

@powerbats said:
    Yes you heard that right they're bringing out dedicated servers.

Second time I hear this now, where did you get this from?

Also they anounced all sorts of stuff already but then didnt hold their word :wink:

edit, never mind saw peanits link

• Jed
    Jed Member Posts: 254
    powerbats said:

@Jed said:
    powerbats said:

@Jed said:

Actually most of us that gave good responses explained as I did many times why it wasn't feasible at the time and why it wasn't a panacea. To say that nobody would answer is being dishonest at worst and completely ignorant/oblivious on the other.

Lol at the time huh..like how you add that in now. And no...you can look up my past comments if you want because nobody would answer my question when I was asking it. Looking at all your comments here tells me you must of been one of these people who thought they were so right in saying DBD doesn't need or cant have servers. It's ok to say you were wrong hehe.
  • powerbats

@Jed said:

Lol at the time huh..like how you add that in now. And no...you can look up my past comments if you want because nobody would answer my question when I was asking it. Looking at all your comments here tells me you must of been one of these people who thought they were so right in saying DBD doesn't need or cant have servers. It's ok to say you were wrong hehe.

No, I said that at the time as did other i didn't just add that in, now you're just making stuff up to make yourself look better.

• powerbats

@Master said:

@powerbats said:

Second time I hear this now, where did you get this from?

Also they anounced all sorts of stuff already but then didnt hold their word :wink:

edit, never mind saw peanits link

Yeah I didn't put the link in since it was at top of page but stuff kinda gets lost up there.

• aracno666
    aracno666 Member Posts: 2

@Orion said:

@aracno666 said:

@Arsoul said:
    And when it comes to players in Australia and New Zealand...well, we're all screwed as the servers will be US and EU based and our Ping will skyrocket like 90% of the games out there.

I am from Brazil and I do have the same concern. Probably this is going to kill the game for good - if dedicated servers over here are not provided. But the problem will also be demand for it, if they see that there is not enough players to keep it active, well, bummer, no way to play at all. I hope for those cases, Killer hosted games might still be a possibility.

Most of the players are from EU, NA, and Asia. I do hope the devs put servers on all continents, but don't pretend that not having servers in SA and AU is going to kill the game.

Well, I do hope that as well, never pretend anything - or did I? If I am not mistaken I was actually hopping for a solution - maybe just keep things like they are for areas where servers would not be available.

But yeah, no reason to keep playing and spending my money and time in this game if I start to join lagged sessions from other side of world. But that's just my opinion. ;-)

• powerbats

@aracno666 said:

@Orion said:

@aracno666 said:

@Arsoul said:
    And when it comes to players in Australia and New Zealand...well, we're all screwed as the servers will be US and EU based and our Ping will skyrocket like 90% of the games out there.

I am from Brazil and I do have the same concern. Probably this is going to kill the game for good - if dedicated servers over here are not provided. But the problem will also be demand for it, if they see that there is not enough players to keep it active, well, bummer, no way to play at all. I hope for those cases, Killer hosted games might still be a possibility.

Most of the players are from EU, NA, and Asia. I do hope the devs put servers on all continents, but don't pretend that not having servers in SA and AU is going to kill the game.

Well, I do hope that as well, never pretend anything - or did I? If I am not mistaken I was actually hopping for a solution - maybe just keep things like they are for areas where servers would not be available.

But yeah, no reason to keep playing and spending my money and time in this game if I start to join lagged sessions from other side of world. But that's just my opinion. ;-)

I don't think they'd ignore a continent just because of player population there, they'd most likely have at least 1 rack if not more there.

• Orion

@aracno666 said:

@Orion said:

@aracno666 said:

@Arsoul said:

You literally said it'd probably kill the game for good if dedicated servers were not provided in SA or AU.

• Fenrir
    Fenrir Member Posts: 533
    powerbats said:

Now we can get that dc bans out better