accessibility setting for Plague

deckyr
deckyr Member Posts: 795
edited July 2022 in Feedback and Suggestions

hi dbd team!

my boyfriend has extreme emetophobia. being infected by plague makes him feel physically ill to the point he can't play the game. he really likes playing DbD otherwise, but any time he plays against plague he has to:

a) turn the sound off so he can't hear the sound of her vomiting because it makes him throw up irl (and therefore not hear the terror radius or the sound cue of her getting her power)

b) cleanse constantly to absolutely avoid getting infected because the survivors throwing up makes him throw up irl (and therefore feed her a shitload of fountains)

c) basically just sandbag the game until he can kill himself on hook, or disconnect any time the killer is plague and take a punishment for doing so.

this... sucks. it's a really terrible experience for him and i would love to see a switch for plague so that, i dunno, you can replace the vomit with something else, like confetti. and when the survivors throw up, it makes a noise like a party horn thing. or make it blue, like nemesis's infection and delete the noise for throwing up. or just miscellaneous black goop. or so that you can have a bot take over for you if you need. just, plague is a step too far for him and there's no way to tell that the killer's playing plague in the lobby, so queue dodging is impossible. so i would really love to see some kind of switch you can flip that just makes her vile purge something else.

note: he's actually okay when she's using corrupt purge. when it's the red blood, it doesn't trigger his phobia at all.

as an aside, i really don't wanna hear forum users tell me that randomly getting plague as your killer in dbd is "exposure therapy". it's not. it is not helping him confront his issues. you do not know what exposure therapy is and i don't want to hear that a toggle in the menu that you don't need to flip is hurting your feelings because i don't care. just don't turn it on. it's okay that some things are for other people, don't be selfish.

Post edited by deckyr on

Comments

• Youko
    Youko Member Posts: 187

I can relate to this. I caught covid 2 weeks ago after dodging it for 2 years and got put on paxlovid. The bad taste side effect made me so nauseous I ended up in the ER from a panic attack out of fear of vomiting. Since it's simulated and not an actual person, I can usually muscle through going against her in the game. But I even had a day a while back where it really got to me and I almost had to put my controller down and just throw the match.

Lame as others might think it is, I would be totally down for an alternate sound and/or color as an accessibility option. I'm sure they could manage where it only displays/sounds different on your end too, so nobody can really complain anyways.

• CookieBaws
    CookieBaws Member Posts: 619

Nothing is gonna be done, unless there is somebody loud enough on twitter.

• Lyn
    Lyn Member Posts: 12

I agree that this needs to happen. I also have a friend I can not get to play the game again because of Plague's power making them sick. They should definitely have an option to change the vomit appearance/sound to something else.

• blue4zion
    blue4zion Member Posts: 2,773

For the love of all holy don't change her design at base.

Make a setting for this, Im all for it because I also have a friend who can't stand it. It's completely legit