what can we do with clown?

the clown… the most annoying and stroke worthy killer to go against in dead by daylight. well in my opinion atleast.

but as annoying as he may be and as much as you want to rip your hair out playing against him… he isn’t all that great in the grand scheme of things. his power is very lacklustre and he doesn’t really have map traversal and gen pressure.

but what actually is the problem with clown?

well the first thing i want to say about him is his power. well obviously, duhh i’m so stupid at times. anyways.

the clowns power is his bottles if you didn’t know and we’ll, these things are pains in the butt btw. the slowdown isn’t so bad, but see the screen blinding effect ugh it genuinely annoys me so much. it shouldn’t have been a thing because it really really irritates a lot of survivors. so if they didn’t have that, i definitely would be more intrigued against a clown rather than giving up in the first 2 minutes of the game.

but besides that. his power is generally quite weak. survivors will pre drop pallets, try and make alot of distance, vault as many windows as possible, actually capitalise off your mistakes and actually do super super smart things against him and he has nothing to do about it. so what are the buffs that we could do to clown? i honestly don’t really know in all honesty?

do we buff his slowdown? do we add new parts to his power? i genuinely don’t know what to do? does anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,167
    edited August 2022

I don't wanna say Clown is 'Fine' he def needs mores changes but I think in the current state of the game he can be really oppressive in the right hands and (more importantly imo) the right perks. STBFL on Clown turns him into crack clown where he bottles you, hits you, bottles you and you make it nowhere.

One of the problems with Clown is that his counterplay essentially boils down to "don't loop, pre-drop and chain safe windows together" which makes a lot of matches vs Clown feel the same. If you try to loop him, you typically always get hit unless you've got a decent headstart

The yellow bottles are also criminally underrated but also not the easiest to use. I think they could do with a QOL change to make them not affect survivors, their logic for that was "you can use it to push survivors where you want them to go" but no survivor worth their salt will ever leave safety to run into a yellow bottle. Ever.

• notdragonite
    notdragonite Member Posts: 80

fair points here. i just don’t know where i’m at with clown. i don’t have a clue on what i could change about him.

• BubbleBuster
    BubbleBuster Member Posts: 387

what we do is nerf his red head's pinky finger add-on to only work on either the first bottle or last bottle since that add-on is too strong and annoying imo.

afterwards we buff his speed-up bottle to be usable in map traversal.

then we buff his horrible add-ons because some of them are hot garbage while others just dont do enough.

tbh I just think his entire power is kind of horribly designed since it is extremely 1 dimensional

• Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,167

Well one way to look at it would be:

With the basekit buffs killers got, Clown benefitted quite a bit from them. Most notably survivors having less of a sprint burst after an injury and the shorter killer cooldown/faster pallet breaks helps Clown a ton

If I were to change Clown in any significant way, an Idea I just thought of would be reworking how the purple gas works - incurring an extra hindered penalty if you successfully land a direct hit on a survivor but maybe weakening the base effect to encourage this.

Also making yellow bottles not affect survivors and slightly shortening their activation time would go a long way imo

These are tweaks that could realistically happen since I doubt a full rework will ever happen for Clown, BHVR seems satisfied with how his power works

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 7,687

I mean, I've always used brutal strength+sbtfl on clown but his ability is suppose grant you anti-loop, both in the form of being able to play safe loops and catch-up post health state.

clown shouldn't need to use brutal strength at loops, he's suppose to be able to get hits even when pallet is down, otherwise what in the world is the point of the ability? Like if you load into maps like Gideon's meat packing plant or Fracture cowshed, his ability doesn't help you down survivors at dropped pallets so he's still force to break the pallets in many cases.

The other aspect is that clown has heighten movement speed from yellow bottles, he's not suppose to need catch-up perks post-health state. Just look at wesker's PTB bug with the 25.0 m/s, I'm not saying that clown is suppose move at 25 m/s per second but clown is suppose to feel fast for short time frame. the big contension i have with yellow bottles is that survivor can change their routing and make you "waste" bottles making it feel like using yellow bottle is like gambling. it makes timing speed boosts unreliable and feel like a waste of time. its much cleaner to just use pink bottles+stbfl rather than to rely on yellow bottles+pink bottles for catch-up post health-state hits and that aspect does not make much sense.

i think only aspect that really needs changing for clown is for his yellow bottles to have less activation time. I also do not understand why the yellow bottles increase the survivor movement speed. there's like no positive to ever increasing the survivor's movement as the killer.

Clown would be a lot less reliant on those two perks if yellow bottle was more reliable. Clown sort of always lacked perk variety because he feels the total need to use those perks to have a decent chase power. He also wouldn't really need pinky finger because yellow bottles emulate lethality through mobility catch-up.