BHVR, are you going to make an in-game solution for survivors holding the game hostage by hiding?

SuzuKR
SuzuKR Member Posts: 3,910

On several occasions, you have stated that hiding and refusing to attempt to repair generators while the hatch has not spawned (thus making it impossible to start Endgame Collapse) is against the rules because it is refusal to participate in normal gameplay and holding the game hostage. You have stated it needs a video report and can be potentially bannable on a case-by-case basis. That is all fine and dandy.

However, for the one stuck in that game, there is no good solution that currently exists in the game's base line. If a person does not happen to play a killer or run perks/add-ons that would have helped in this situation (eg, Doctor, Whispers, Iron Maiden, etc), they are just screwed. Survivors who intentionally hide in this manner also intentionally avoid AFK crows from spawning by walking/crouching around/swapping lockers/etc to give no possible information if the killer isn't lucky enough to be close by at the time to hear breathing or locker door sounds or whatnot.

Are there any plans to make some sort of in-game feature to deal with this? I am curious to hear on that, and if not, I would like to ask you to consider it, as it can end up in absurdly drawn out games of 10-20+ minutes of nothing being done and not being able to find anyone, especially on larger maps. It pretty much only gives an option of DCing, AFKing, or playing until one side finally gives up.

Comments

• StarLost
    StarLost Member Posts: 8,077

Yeah, I'd love this.

Not all of us record all of our games, and some of the most miserable experiences I've had in DbD are groups that do this from the start, or three people do it after an early DC.

Agreed.

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,702

After 10 minutes of survivors doing nothing I think maybe the entity should make the survivors scream and reveal their locations for 3 seconds.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

I agree, it doesn't happen all that often fortunately but on the rare occasion you have two survivors both crouching around not doing gens and also trying their hardest not to be found it can be really tedious and long if you are playing a killer that doesn't have something to help with the tracking. I'd be ok with either crows starting to appear or some other sort of other internal timing device that triggers when no new scoring events have occurred in the last 5 minutes or so. (That should be plenty of time for at least one player to score points somewhere!) If not crows then I'd also be good with, say, just a sudden death timer that if the game stalls out too long it simply ends in a draw for the remaining players.

On a side note this also could maybe be useful to combat the hackers who intentionally stall the game out somehow after endgame collapse that have plagued some of the streamers recently.

• leviivel
    leviivel Member Posts: 277

I’m not joking when i say i’ve been in 3 matches that lasted over 30 minutes, one even took around 60 MINUTES. Because some survivors (mainly claudettes) were allergic to gens. I went afk and on DBD mobile and was able to finish a 10 minute billy match and only PART of a gen since like a minute after a gen was done. Waited another 10 minutes and a gen got done. So 2 gens left. I finally managed to find a survivor after another 10-15 minutes and got them in mere seconds.

all they need to do is just make it so crows will appear if nobody touches a gen within a certain amount of time.

4/3/2 Survivors: 8/8/5 minutes after no gen, chase or rescue.

1 Survivor: 2 minutes after the 3rd survivor death.

also, have the entity just kill everyone at 20-30 minutes of the match and end the match (could also stop hackers).

this could also encourage survivors to do gens cuz we all know solo queue teammates love that.

• versacefeng
    versacefeng Member Posts: 1,136

If killer could open the door at any point during the game, killer could start EGC.

That'd simply open a gateway for killers to quickly tank their MMR and deny survivors from getting a lot a of bloodpoints.

• MrPeanutbutter
    MrPeanutbutter Member Posts: 1,586

The solution is simple and obvious, but clearly it is not a priority for BHVR

• ByeByeQ
    ByeByeQ Member Posts: 1,104

This raises an interesting possibility.

If there are only 2 survivors left alive the killer should be able to open the gate to make the game end sooner.

In this case the killer can't tank their MMR.

• badrepo
    badrepo Member Posts: 93

Just do tracking perks

• Unknown2765
    Unknown2765 Member Posts: 2,295

Yeah, i vouch for this too.

• Unknown2765

This ^

and their aura should start blinking, with faster and faster intervals at 120 secs

• JoByDaylight
    JoByDaylight Member Posts: 707

I think this is the best suggestion I've read so far. Although 10 minutes without doing anything is a bit too much maybe?

• VikingDragonXii
    VikingDragonXii Member Posts: 2,885

It does have a timer.....2 hours...the game server shuts down at 2 hrs

• NerfedFreddy
    NerfedFreddy Member Posts: 394

Playing for the win shouldn't be reportable or punishable. They should rework whole 2v1 setup. Also it will fix slugging for 4k exploit

• VikingDragonXii

I found that out after a hacker decided to lock down a match I was in.....

• xni6_
    xni6_ Member Posts: 505

thats not an exploit. its boring but an exploit is something along the lines of abusing bugs. you can stop reporting killers who slug for 4ks, bc nothings going to happen to them lol

• SkeletalElite
    SkeletalElite Member Posts: 2,687

Frankly there should be a hard cap to match time.

At 20 minutes, end game collapse starts regardless of state of the game. EGC will be slowed if there are still generators remaining.

This means after 24 minutes, all survivors will be killed by the EGC.

On a 1 minute timer after that point, instantly terminate the match if it does not end naturally.

It's a hard solution to all holding the game hostage via natural means, bugs, and hacks.

• VikingDragonXii

Not doing Gens is not playing for the win though that is literally holding the game hostage. If a survivor doesn't pregress the game through completing Gens.

Also as much as it sucks, slugging is not a exploit it's just another way for the Killer to progress their objective by killing the Survivors albeit a more hated method.

• Ryuhi
    Ryuhi Member Posts: 3,733

You're not "playing for the win" at that point, you're refusing to accept the loss and begging for a draw.

• INoLuv
    INoLuv Member Posts: 464
    edited August 2022

Being hidden for that long is not easy because of the crows, there is no need for a "nerf" to it. The rules are also not objective, either way never hide, in this case give yourself to the killer, otherwise you will get banned from dbd like a cheater if they record and complain about it.

• TeabaggingGhostface
    TeabaggingGhostface Member Posts: 3,108

Had a 4 man stealth squad on rpd, game took like 40 minutes

Yes i bled them all out

• Biscuits
    Biscuits Member Posts: 1,097

According to this logic waiting out corrupt intervention is against the rules?

• Ryuhi

You do not understand logic at all if that is where you wanted to take your gotcha comment. Corrupt actually ends (even faster, now that it disappears the second a single survivor gets downed) but a group of locker jockeys can prevent the game from progressing at all indefinitely. They're not even remotely comparable.

What OP is discussing isn't even about hiding from the killer, its doing so in a way that prevents the game from being able to conclude. Being stealthy during a match is not the same as refusing to accept defeat and cowering in corners for 10+ minutes hoping your teammate is more willing to die and move on than you are.

• Biscuits

I mean there are people in this thread including OP saying that you should get crows if no one works on a gen for 90 seconds. That is a pretty normal occurrence in games where the killer uses corrupt.

• Ryuhi
    edited August 2022

The crows after 90 seconds thing was one suggestion to the actual problem, which is what the topic is about. Also if nobody touches a single gen for the entire duration of corrupt, you might as well just hop on those hooks yourselves. Thats also assuming nobody gets downed in that amount of time either, which would also be pretty bad on the killer's part as well.

Also OP didnt even say anything about the crows, so at least dont put words into their mouth.

• drakolyr
    drakolyr Member Posts: 322

Just because one is left, doesnt mean he lost. Otherwise make the game 3vs1.

1 Survivor should still have the chance to win and shouldnt be impossible.

Also in most cases, survivors do something. Maybe you dont see it.

Doing Totems, healing others or hiding while in terror radius (which litterly gives points) isnt doing nothing. And the reason for proof is simple, not every killer playing sees everything.

Also for @topic, i dont think killers should automatic win when the timers run out. Killers slugg too to find the last survivor instead of just hooking him to "end" the game. Also some killers can do things to keep the game hostage.

It should result in a draw.

Also having endgame collaps and still needing to do gens? ######### no. Endgame collaps always powers gates. Simple as that.

• Unknown2765
    edited August 2022

If a tennis player stalls the match, by refusing to serve the ball.

Im pretty sure they will be discqualified, even if the intent is to win the match by stalling enough that the opponent quits.

Post edited by Unknown2765 on
  • Tsela
    Tsela Member Posts: 524

It's not an exploit. It's entirely within the rules of the game

• SuzuKR
    edited August 2022

Hiding for hatch is literally intentionally refusing to participate in normal gameplay of trying to progress the game. Realistically, without specific powers, add-ons, or perks, the killer will never find someone hiding on purpose like this. The killer is (probably) trying to find where the remaining survivors are, so they can end the game, or checking the gens, to see if anyone’s come by to try and find people near them. They are engaging in normal gameplay. Hiding and doing nothing except waiting for the other to die is not normal gameplay.

Attempting to repair and being chased off is fine. Attempting to do literally nothing is not. Will it get you killed? Sure, maybe. But the reason you’re even in that situation in that first place is the killer did better than the survivors and have whittled the numbers down already. It is literally the point that it is largely in their favor. Either way, they are getting at least a 3K if not a 4K in that situation. Sort of like how it’s extremely in the survivors’ favors if Exit Gates were opened and the killer has 3 total hooks the entire game with no one on death hook is at least a 3 out if not a 4 out.

• Ryuhi
    edited August 2022

The devs also said this exact situation is in fact holding the game hostage, if neither survivor is willing to attempt to continue working on gens. Don't cherry pick statements from the devs to try to justify something that is unironically against ToS. It doesn't take much understanding to know why survivors do it, just like it doesn't take much understanding to know why a killer would bodyblock someone in a corner to secure a single kill. That doesn't make either scenario suddenly not against the rules.

The reason its a team oriented game is because the Four are supposed to work together to overcome the One. It is literally in the game's design and balancing, otherwise what would be the point of actions like unhooking? It also ties in with the 1v1v1v1v1 comment, in that the other survivors provide mutual benefit to your own objective the longer they survive, which makes you a team.

You all have the same objective, both on a micro and macro level (power all the gens and escape.) You all also have the ability to assist each other in said objective, and are encouraged to do so for both selfish or selfless reasons. Also what the hell is that projection at the end? I almost exclusively play survivor, there isn't some cabal of sneaky killer mains encouraging survivors to sabotage their own games. Ironically Its survivors who suffer from selfish plays the most, since they often get sandbagged by teammates like you.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,160

Could even be 20 minutes and it'd be long enough. Have it just end in a draw if time runs out before everyone is killed or escapes, there's no winner/loser at that point. If you're stacking slow downs to make the game last forever but you're not actually killing anyone you don't win by default. If you're just hiding for 20 minutes not even trying to escape you also don't win by default.

• SuzuKR

It blows my mind that "Play the game" is a hot take for some people.

• Biscuits

I would love to sit down with a developer and ask them what a survivor should do in a situation where the killer is slugging for a 4k and the killer is camping the body while proxying gens. I have a feeling their answer would not be to your liking.

• SuzuKR

How are they camping the slug and proxying gens at the same time? Pick up the slug when they’re not nearby, or work on a gen???

• Ryuhi
    edited August 2022

Shhh, every hypothetical needs to be as loaded as possible, regardless of actual possibilities.

That said, yes, you are supposed to juggle the slug and the gen. Or just run the killer on purpose until you max boldness out idc. Hell, some killers actually appreciate that and will give you the hatch if they see you're the one survivor actually trying. They'll certainly be more likely to than if you made them search lockers for 20 minutes.

The devs would probably also say "take the L and move on" if I had to guess.

• OldIronKing
    OldIronKing Member Posts: 67

I don't know what is so hard to understand about this. He is talking about people doing nothing. Not people healing or doing totems. If you heal or do a totem you wouldn't get the crows or w/e said in-game solution is...

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 9,111

They don't want to progress the game? Show their auras permanently. That's their punishment.

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 9,111

This is an idea I forgot I had. Killers should be able to open the doors even before 5 gens are done. I actually had people disagreeing with me, saying that "Killers shouldn't be able to end the game early", probably afraid of Bloodwarden plays or something.

• LeFennecFox
    LeFennecFox Member Posts: 1,233

VHS handles stalemates very well since you can capture a rift on both sides and get extended aura reading, but the gameplay is much different since survivors wouldn't really be able to act upon this. Maybe give killers 10 seconds of aura reading if no significant gen/gate progress has been done for 60 seconds.

• StarLost
    StarLost Member Posts: 8,077

This isn't playing to win.

This is playing to drag things out forever to BM.

You might as well say 'walling the survivors into the poop room on Gideon and forcing them to DC is playing to win'.

No, you're trying to do the 'gotcha via silly hypothetical' thing.

Just make it so this won't happen within the first 2 minutes of a game. Really, really not hard.

Sigh.

Okay, firstly - don't whatabout. Plus, I don't think killers can take the match hostage anymore.

I've had multiple groups literally go from locker to locker, occasionally touching a bone to not get crows. They aren't playing to win, they are sulking because someone DC'd, or they 3genned themselves.

Why did you leave the context of this quote out completely?

They are specifically talking about this in terms of the matchmaker.

Survivor is a team role.

How are they keeping 3 people slugged whilst also patrolling gens?

I think you're talking about a hacker here, because I don't think any killer can actually do this. Just have people crawl off in different directions.

Also - your posts in this thread are probably the best example of the Just In Case fallacy I've seen in a year.

• LeFennecFox
    LeFennecFox Member Posts: 1,233

Yes aura perks that are countered by being in a locker and normally require a hook/unhook/fast vault/healing/gen done. There are only two perks that would even decent which are whispers/spies and they're pretty mediocre why be forced to dedicate 1/4 of your perk slots because people don't want to play the game.