We are investigating an issue in the game that causes strobing/flashing lights, and are focused on fixing it as soon as possible. Some players may be impacted by this issue and experience discomfort from it, so we recommend taking proper precautions.

And until we fix this issue, we recommend that players with photosensitivity, or who have an epileptic condition or have had seizures of any kind consult their physician before playing.

Not really a fan of the whole 'the black vale thing interconnects everything' stuff

Options
MeltingPenguins
MeltingPenguins Member Posts: 3,743
edited August 2022 in Lore

I'll keep this short and salty:

Expanding lore is fine and dandy, but this whole 'everything is interconnected' thing bhvr has going since the blight chapter, this whole 'black vale' cult etc...

It takes something away.

Because it feels like there's no actual room to expand the characters. Cause you just KNOW that at this rate bhvr will reveal that Dwight's boss and Bayshore are connected to the cult, or that meg's and kate's mom also have been part of the pharias thing or what they were called.

Sometimes trying to go bigger makes things just smaller.

Post edited by Rizzo on

Comments

• MeltingPenguins
    Options

If it's done well, yes.

And I don't think it IS done well exactly because pretty much ALL the newer characters and so many sidestories etc are ALL about the cult and the pariahs.

It's an onslaught, and that takes the bite out of it. And what I worry is that bhvr thinks this approach is genius, and will just continue.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 4,811
    Options

The Black Vale does feel somewhat unnecessary to me. An alien being as massive as the Entity doesn't need a bunch of muppets to enable it further.

A more interesting tale would have been what happens within these realms. The trials seem a small part, manufactured by the Entity, but it may not be the only alien using these auric cells, and rumours of realms with people setting up societies and such means other forces could be at work. That would be a better story.

Bringing cults into these types of stories feels a bit cliche and a bit mad, considering this Entity must've been doing a pretty good job so far without them.

• Regulus47
    Regulus47 Member Posts: 450
    Options

I don't know. Survivors and Killers just being randomly taken for no reason is, well, random. I like the idea of a big overarching plot behind it all. Honestly I just want the rest of the pariahs, you can't convince me Jonah wasn't meant to be one with all the Black Vale stuff in that DLC.

• Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,155
    Options

Was done well for Felix, Elodie and Twins. I like their involvement there

Felt kinda forced for Artist though, her story revolved around the totalitarian chile government but then there's suddenly the black vale operating under a fake alias that might as well have been 'vlack bale'

• TheMimic77
    TheMimic77 Member Posts: 24
    Options

The entity is a lovecraftian God, so I don't find it bad that it has its own cult as big as cthulhus.. Yes maybe some survs are not connected to it, some are but the black vale is actually interesting.. Imagine getting a cultist or something like the shambler in dbd

• HoodedWildKard
    HoodedWildKard Member Posts: 2,013
    edited August 2022
    Options

Yeah it's nice to have some characters linked in with this whole underground society/cult thing. But it's nice to have a few random survivors who are just unlucky enough to get pulled in. Would be really cool if they added in a survivor who is just a rejected killer, like Rin Yamaoka's father.

• DragonMasterDarren
    DragonMasterDarren Member Posts: 2,737
    edited August 2022
    Options

Words cannot state how much i would love a Darkest Dungeon chapter

only if Dismas is the survivor though

• OpalescentHare
    OpalescentHare Member Posts: 59
    Options

I like the interconnection as it is so far. To me, it's not about it having to all be interconnected, so much as why it's chosen to interconnect so many things.

Even if there was some loose connection where "Dwight's old boss is connected" to the Black Veil (though I think that's hyperbolic), I don't think that mist inherently be a problem. If it was written for the grand purpose of the narrative and is cohesive, then it's simply a direction they chose of countless possibilities. I would have a problem if BHVR pulled a Rowling and started spouting new lore in tweets without any extrapolation, even if it added to the characters. But if we got tome entries that connected Dwight's boss to the Black Veil, and that contributes to the meaning of the lore as a whole, then great. So it could expand how we understand some aspects to the circumstances the characters ended up in, and grow our understanding of the Black Veil's presence.

That all said, I'd be interested in hearing more about what you mean when you say "it takes something away" and what you mean by "expanding the characters." Since "something" is a vague term and there are many of ways to "expand" a character. I don't want to assume what you mean beyond my general thoughts on the Black Veil lore so far.

• MeltingPenguins
    Options

By 'it takes something away' I mean that it makes things feel smaller than they could (?) be and it really bends suspension of disbelief (ymmv though).

To me, having everything connected to these two organizations takes out some danger and intrigued. The sense that the entity could snatch up any given person because they somehow piqued its interests by pure happenstance. To have the factor that 'oh no, this prson was taken because of this org or another' makes it feels... bland. It's this 'IT IS DESTINYYYYYYY' undertone that is just... dull. Especially when seeing that there are multiple realities... so it feels like we're to believe that despite all these different timelines the characters ALWAYS had a brush with either org and that only that got the entity interested?

• Dito175
    Dito175 Member Posts: 1,391
    Options

I agree, I think is way more interesting when most of the survivors are just people that went missing with no explanation, like as if It could be happening in our world but we would never know; When everything is connected it takes that away in my opinion