We have temporarily disabled Firecrackers and the Flashbang Perk due to a bug which could cause the Killer's game to crash. These will be re-enabled in an upcoming patch when the issue is resolved.

Ping vs. Packet Loss?

With the new HUD connection indicators, I'm seeing the double-diamond icon pop up frequently, which apparently means I'm experiencing packet loss. My ping has always been fine (before and after the patch), so I was surprised to see that there is apparently an issue with packet loss.

What does packet loss (vs. ping) actually mean in terms of gameplay? Everything seems smooth and normal for me (both as survivor and as killer).

Comments

• kizuati
    kizuati Member Posts: 1,386

Packet Loss is generally meaning an action/input of yours got lost along the way to the server. If it happens infrequently,along short timespans,it's fine as any half-decent networking model (even DBD's) can just interpolate your actions from the last packet until it gets a new one. So you might maybe not send a DH signal to the server because it got lost along the way.

Ping would just be latency,as in how soon the server is notified.

• SuzuKR
    SuzuKR Member Posts: 3,910

Ping = Time it takes for a piece of information to reach the survivor and then come back to you.

Packet Loss = A piece of information was lost lost along the way there or back.