Killers, how often do you free the last survivor?

HoodedWildKard
HoodedWildKard Member Posts: 2,013
edited September 2022 in General Discussions

I'd be interested to hears other's opinions on this. When i play killer, unless I'm running a mori token, trying for adept or going for some other specific challenge. I'll usually let the final survivor go, either in respect for a good game or in pity because they were bad in i steamrolled them. Just feels like a nice thing to do and add a bit of positivity back into the game.

I do it in most of my killer matches where i perform well. I'll of course make exceptions for players who crouch and torch spam lol. Bad manners will earn you the hook.

It's not something i see other killers doing often though. I've seen maybe 3 matches where the killer has let the final survivor go. And it's never been me lol.

Comments

• ThatOneDemoPlayer
    ThatOneDemoPlayer Member Posts: 5,623

Very rarely do I go out of my way to give someone Hatch, mostly only if they got screwed by their teammates on purpose, like getting sandbagged.

More often, I just can't be bothered to slug the 3rd Survivor and search for the 4th, unless I'm playing Demogorgon with Leprose Lichen. If they get Hatch, they get Hatch

• ShinobuSK
    ShinobuSK Member Posts: 5,279

Most of the time I do, unless I need kills for ranking up. But since the last killer buffs, I get to red 1 super fast so after few days I give mercy hatch in most of my games

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095

Why should the killer? It's not like survivors regularly give a pity kill, when all are about to escape. So why should the killer give a pity escape?

• Veinslay
    Veinslay Member Posts: 1,959

Absolutely never unless they're an obvious baby. Survivors are way too toxic to ever regularly give hatch or exit gates to.

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

I usually do.

The only times I actively go for the 4k is when I'm either doing a challenge or for whatever reason feel like they don't deserve to get hatch (but even then I just sacrifice the 3rd guy and make it a race to hatch, unless I have a challenge that specifically states to get a 4k, I never slug for 4 kills)

Plus my MMR goes up less quickly, which is a nice side benefit of this.

• drakolyr
    drakolyr Member Posts: 322

I actually do that a lot. Especially if we as survivors wreck the killer. I gladly give a pity kill.

• Tsela
    Tsela Member Posts: 524

I rarely do. I did it a number of times when I saw they had some DC loser in their team DC-ing after his first down out of spite but the rest still tried their best, even if they were unfairly disadvantaged by some salty loser.

Otherwise in regular games I don't allow anyone to escape.

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,219

If i got a genuinde DC, (as in someone who is save and not just downed or something) i usually hook everyone twice, then slug them, and if i get them all, let them up and finish the gens.

That used to be the only scenario in which i let someone go. Nowadays, i try to kill everyone as killer, because i just want good survivors to rise in mmr, because they are going to be my teammates when i play solo, and i dont want the claudette that just hid all game to be my next teammate, so she has to die.

The exception is: i got a high skill mismatch in the survivors, and while half of them are bad, one stands out because of excellent teamplay, no selfishness, in short, someone who didn´t belong to that team. I might want him as a teammate, so i let him go.

• HugTheHag
    HugTheHag Member Posts: 3,140

I give hatch or gate most of my matches. I very rarely encounter BM from survivors, so most times I let the last one go.

Choice of whom I let go can be determined during the game, I'll sometimes feel sorry for someone I accidentally tunneled in the first half of the game (like if they were freshly unhooked and happened to be my 4rth/5th Frenzy chain). Sometimes matchmaking makes an oopsie and gives me someone who just installed the game (I had a 12 hour guy in my lobby the other day, poor Bill), so I'll spare them so that their first experiences of the game are not complete garbage. If a survivor did something genuinely funny during the game, or showed me an easter egg on the map. Finally, if someone hard carried the team, I'll let them go rather than one of their teammates. They were more satisfying to catch, but they deserved a better team.

I'll sometimes let more than one go on certain circonstances, like if the two remaining are a funny SWF indulging me in some parkour races as Legion, or if both gave up after a stomp and I feel bad.

• Slan
    Slan Member Posts: 306
    edited September 2022

When I consider they have played well, were not toxic and were quite a challenge for me I give them hatch. If they don't give me propper chases and are toxic, to the hook they go, after pretending to give them hatch and closing it when they are about to reach it 😈 .

• Peppa_Pigsaw
    Peppa_Pigsaw Member Posts: 184

I really don't. The only times I do is when the survivor did something I really respected, made me laugh, or I just felt sorry for them. If it's just a normal match I likely won't let them go.

• xni6_
    xni6_ Member Posts: 505

if i down them and a magical hatch appears ill let them out, or if they had a dc or hook suicide instantly ill spend like 30 seconds looking for hatch

but generally i dont, it takes too long, does nothing for me, and does nothing for them

on occasion if someones being a clicky tbagger (the "nicest" kind of player [the type who leave comments on steam profiles complaining]), ill let them out and apologise for poor matchmaking to shatter their fragile egos more, but those players are getting rarer (with killer queues i think people that actually have empathy for killer are playing survivor now)

• Dwight_Fairfield
    Dwight_Fairfield Member Posts: 6,897

Always when its a Dweet.

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,702

I don’t give survivors hatch anymore.

• WorthlessBeing
    WorthlessBeing Member Posts: 378

Seconded. I'm really not concerned about my own survival anymore and gladly offer myself as a sacrifice.

• Tsulan

This then opens up the old solo vs SWF debate.

But yeah, everyone is free to give or not pity kills/escapes.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

I don’t think I’ve ever intentionally let a survivor go. I know personally I don’t like other people giving me a pity point or win so I don’t do that.

• EvilSerje
    EvilSerje Member Posts: 1,070

Like 90% of the time. The only circumstance I don't let go is when I do adept or some book challenge that require deaths.

• Khelendrose2020
    Khelendrose2020 Member Posts: 207

The first to boop the snoot wins a free escape, as long as they don't start body blocking/sabo, etc.

• Laluzi
    Laluzi Member Posts: 6,063

I usually do it unless they annoyed me or I don't feel like they helped their team.

• Wampirita
    Wampirita Member Posts: 809

every time they don't run away or don't wiggle. There's no fun in killing someone who gave up

• Sepex
    Sepex Member Posts: 1,451
    edited September 2022

I tend to kill 3. Go for the 50/50 with hatch. If I find it I'll let them open the gate and leave. The head bobbling thank you's and teabags ever so slightly warm my heart.

Unless they were cucks in the match then I would slaughter them.

• JackFrostMan
    JackFrostMan Member Posts: 204

The last time I remember giving a survivor hatch was after, like, two DCs in a row happened. At that point I don't even get enough bloodpoints from playing to give a #########.

• TMCalypso
    TMCalypso Member Posts: 336

Depends on the match. If the survivors didn't act toxic and/or the match was fun, I may let one (or more) go. Typically I will only kill 2 unless I am able to hook everyone twice...which is harder to do than simply killing them.

• Jivetalkin13
    Jivetalkin13 Member Posts: 747

Unless I'm working toward something (prestiging to P3, a tome challenge, daily ritual, etc.) Pretty often. It depends on how well they played and so on so forth.

• deKlaw_04
    deKlaw_04 Member Posts: 3,660

Depends. If its 4 survivors i dont like and i mean like Claudette nea feng or dwight i wont let any of them go. But if its a survivor that i like or love then i will always let them go if they trust me

And if i feel to bad for killing everyone quickly then i will let someone go based on who was ranked the highest on my tier list

• deKlaw_04
    edited September 2022

Youd be surprised to see how many survivors sacrificed themselves by letting the timer run out because i played nice. I have had nancys, jill and kates all die for me which makes me sad. I unfortunately dont have a video to prove it but yes some survivors do let you kill them. I actually became friends with someone online i was playing nice as demogorgon and she didnt want to escape so she let the entity take her

Post edited by deKlaw_04 on
  • Tostapane
    Tostapane Member Posts: 1,622

Happened yesterday in a match that I did as pinhead. Usually I wouldn't do it due to the extreme amount of toxicity that I get in my matches, but for some weird reason yesterday I had a couple of chill matches, so I decided to do it

• StarLost
    StarLost Member Posts: 8,077

I'd say the majority of the time.

If the last survivor didn't give up, didn't BM me at any point in the game and didn't do anything iffy, I'll generally give gate or hatch.

I don't lose much BP and they gain a decent amount, plus they'll probably pip.

The only times I won't are when I'm pushing for Iri grades, doing a specific challenge or you've managed to annoy me. One teabag and you're done.

• HoodedWildKard

I wonder if that was my game lol. Had a pinhead yesterday on coldwind farm that fairly destroyed us and gave hatch to our last team member.

• HoodedWildKard

Same here. No BM then I'll usually let em go, as you say, doesn't lose the killer very much at all but the survivor gets like 7k for surviving

• jamally093
    jamally093 Member Posts: 1,628

Extremely rarely or on ever rare cases the only chance I really let anyone go is if they got sandbagged. Other then that I usually just kill all the survivors since I don't trust certain things when it comes to freeing the last survivor usually it being they'll probably be toxic in endgame chat and such. This just comes from experiencing more killer's carrying me to hatch and closing it on my face. The only time I actually let people go for the sake of not being sandbagged was a Kate who basically hid in Midwich basement having the whole you can't bring me to any hook build on(she was solo que so that build barely worked) so in the end I just focused on her downing her and made sure no one would rescue her since I didn't want to pull my hair out after she died I let everyone else escape for free.

• Shroompy
    Shroompy Member Posts: 6,478

If a Survivor played really well and they had a bad team, Ill usually let them go if they so happen to be the last Survivor.

also if they donate their item, I just cant resist

• HoodedWildKard

I accidentally did this too someone when i was playing legion, i used feral rush to hit them then backed off and nodded to let them know i could get them but that they could do lever. They forgot to fix the deep wound first and went down, by the time i picked them up, let them wiggle out the timer was too far gone to get the exit gate open and they died to timer. :'(

• Tostapane
  • HoodedWildKard

Ah fair enough. I hate that map so much lol. One offering I'll never use.

• Tostapane

(in general I despise every kind of map offering... The map should be random imo, it would be more interesting)

• deKlaw_04

That sucks bruh. stuff like that makes me feel so bad and sad😭😭

• HoodedWildKard

Yh and the rule that if all 4 survivors bring the same level offering it cancels the killers counter offering. That would so obviously be a seal team 6 of bullies lol

• Tsulan

Oh i believe you. There certainly has been a rise in that behavior.

• TheMidnightRidr
    TheMidnightRidr Member Posts: 599

I do sometimes, but I’m not going to go out of my way to help them escape. If they get downed near or are carried near the hatch, I’ll give it. But I’m not gonna take the time to find the hatch, find them, or sit there and watch them open a gate unless they have a good reason like a DC teammate or they did something to make me laugh.

• Mrdarkcide
    Mrdarkcide Member Posts: 3

It just depends on my mood really. Yesterday, right before a match started on my lunch break, I had just signed paperwork accepting a promotion. I chased them around but let everyone go. This morning I was playing against, what must have been young kids, or people new to the game, but they all kept rushing to unhook each other, usually before I could get too far away, and I 4k'ed them.

• Deathstroke
    Deathstroke Member Posts: 3,494

3K is win already and if the game has been fun I let last one have hatch I quess it's to show some friendliness too but killer should do whatever feels right I go for 4K usually though as last survivor usually gets the hatch anyway.

• dbd900bach
    dbd900bach Member Posts: 680

Almost absolutely never unless the survivor fully deserves it or if I'm in an extremely good mood. Most of the time though I operate with a complete no mercy policy.

When I say deserve though, I mean if they're screwed over by a bug, their teammates who did it on purpose, or if I accidentally down them in the most ridiculous buggy way possible. I'm not going to spare a survivor for looping well or getting out of a very tough situation became that's just the game. That's what they're suppose to do.

• Nos37
    Nos37 Member Posts: 4,142
    edited September 2022

I decided that every time a survivor comes out of the exit gate and lets me kill them on the hook, I will pay it forward and give the last survivor hatch in a future match.

Since then... Let's just say that I haven't been giving survivors hatch.

• Spirit_IsTheBest
    Spirit_IsTheBest Member Posts: 955

Depends, if I am playing sweaty when playing Spirit, I usually tend to give the last person alive hatch. If I am doing dailies or tomb challenges than I won't give the person hatch.