MMR system still only based on escape ?

Options

I've been away for months and I remember people complaining about this, are you telling me that the developers are that stubborn that this is still the only thing your MMR is based on ?

someone who urban evades around the map and does nothing but manages to escape through a gate gets higher MMR than someone that loops the killer for 3 gens and dies?

i've just had a player open the gate and leave when there were 4 of us still alive with only 1 hook each because he didn't want to loose his MMR absolutely amazing system. What was the completely out of touch comparison one of the developers used to justify it again ? it was that bad i've blocked it from my mind.

Comments

• smartemarte
    smartemarte Member Posts: 254
    Options

i thought they compared it to scoring a goal in hockey or something stupid like that

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 8,989
    Options

It's actually not a bad system, for killers. Number of kills when averaged over the course of dozens of games isn't too far off being a decent gauge of skill.

For survivors however it's too unreliable. An escape isn't necessarily earned and a death isn't necessarily your fault.

The idea of having survivors share MMR gains for a game wouldn't be too bad, but the problem is how you to factor in the escape of another survivor in your game if you died first and leave it to queue for another game before they escape?

• smartemarte
    Options

the current system for survivors is just awful, you're telling me the gate is open all 4 survivors are alive but 1 is on his first hook (the rest have had 1 hook)

according to the developers you're better off leaving that survivor and not even trying to save them as a team because you'll be punished if you fail but 0 reward if you succeed ? LOL how bad is that ? that's literally just what happened to me

• Bot_Salvo88
    Bot_Salvo88 Member Posts: 1,230
    Options

So you're saying that a Bubba facecamping everyone is as skillfull as a 12 hook game.

• Junylar
    Junylar Member Posts: 1,999
    Options

BHVR never admit or undo their mistakes. Never. This is why we still have RPD in the game. They are prepared to spend countless resources on "decorative reworks" and damage control, only not to admit their mistakes. The same goes for MMR, this system is unchanged since release because the moment the devs try to change it, they will have to admit they screwed up, which they do everything to avoid.

• WipeIncGamingYT
    WipeIncGamingYT Member Posts: 171
    Options

It is logical. Winning as a survivor is to survive, winning as a killer is to kill.

• Bartlaus
    Bartlaus Member Posts: 1,025
    edited September 2022
    Options

I'm pretty sure they also take your gaming chair into account.

My gaming chair...

... and my average solo q teammate.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 8,989
    Options
  • dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,714
    Options

The only stubborn thing is the people that refuse to accept that the current MMR ratings are actually accurate. When MMRs in a match are close the match tends to be close, it’s really only when the matchmaking algorithm ignores the ratings that you get obvious mismatches. This was evidenced for example when they did MMR tests earlier this year and the nights that had the “sweatiest” tightest matches were the ones with the narrowest allowed MMR ranges and the most anarchic ridiculous matchups were the ones that were free for all or that used Grades instead of MMR.

Using kills and escapes to determine if players go up or down in MMR works, it’s fine. It’s how the matchmaking application uses or decides to ignore those ratings that causes problems.

• smartemarte
    Options

Using escapes to judge mmr isn't fine..... I could loop the killer for 5 gens then get hooked as a survivor opens the gate and leaves and I lose mmr ?? Even though I did a the work for them to escape ? It's beyond stupid and just encourages people to leave rather than trying to help their team

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,714
    Options

You could do that but on average you would escape more often than you die if that happened. MMR is about the longer term statistical estimate, not the corner cases of specific matches.

• Nirgendwohin
    Nirgendwohin Member Posts: 1,251
    edited September 2022
    Options

mmr based on escapes is flawed unless the escape / kill rate is close to 50%. before the killer buff patch kill rates were above 50% (53% i think). now the kill rate should be even higher. that means long term the median of all survivors mmr has to drop because survivors are more likely to die then survive.

right now there is a thread about a killer complaining he only gets good loopers even when he is new. that might be because even good survivors hit rock bottom because soloQ is a hostile place right now.

• scenekiller
    scenekiller Member Posts: 890
    edited September 2022
    Options

The standards for increasing your mmr are arbitrary at best. This is exactly why the people who negate any thread with "skill issue/you must be low mmr" have no intelligent argument to stand on.

If you run the killer for 5 gens and your teammates make no effort to save you, dying at the hands of your teammates does not suddenly evaporate any of your skill, just as standing in a corner all match doing nothing and walking through the exit gates does not give you skill.

• smartemarte
    Options

according to the developers it does though ... it's not skill unless you ignore your team mate on hook and just leave through the exit gate. what a joke