Does anyone have an explaination of why Self Care is so used in APAC regions?
As Peanits and Mandy said, Self Care is used a lot in APAC regions, but not a lot in EU and NA.
I think we can all agree that, on a mathermatical standpoint, Circle of Healing, if used properly, is simply stronger, but this is not the point of the thread.
If anyone can answer why, or link an answer from another thread, is there a specific reason?
As Peanits said there is probably a sociological and cultural reason, but I have some reasons on why Self Care might actually be stronger than Circle of healing, but in a SITUATIONAL way, where if some different playstyles were used more it could be weaker OVERALL.
I'll list all the possible reason, in not a precise order:
- This is why it got nerfed imo, and why it deserved a nerf imo supposing that Circle of Healing didn't exist: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/338021/the-self-care-nerf-is-actually-perfect-and-the-most-underrated-change-and-ill-explain-why#latest
- The killer might have Shattered Hope, snuff your boon, that maybe is an important totem in a 3 gen or up a building , and reveal you, even maybe even have
- Shattered Hope with Pentimento, which is a free stack of Pentimento, maybe even very early in the trial.
- Sometimes finding a totem to bless takes more than 20 seconds, or even more. Your totem could have been cleansed by someone with archive, Inner Healing, Overzelous, etc.
- Once the killer hears one or more boon totems, the killer already knows you wasted on average 20 seconds or even more instead of doing gens. Which means more time to facecamp with some killers like Leatherface, or camp and tunnel with all killers. Because the killer knows that spreading multple hits won't be worth it anymore, and snuffing boon totems costs a lot.
- Communication issues in solo Q, not making Circle of Healing MASSIVELY effective as it is with coordinated teams.
- The killer might snuff the boon before it gets any value, especially after a hook.
- You might die and your boon will disappear, leaving no value for the teammates.
- The killler might have Hemorrhage, and if the boon is snuffed you might lose 20 seconds of progress and maybe
- Miss a skillcheck if the boon is snuffed, because you will automatically miss an ongoing skillcheck and give a notification to the killer
- Blessing a totem is a risky move as cleaning it for Inner healing, especially when you are dead on hook, because you have to be on a totem, making noise and bleeding, and a stealth but even normal killer might interrupt you and kill you.
- Some totems to bless are outpositioned, in dead zones, so the killer could have an even easier time to zone you out.
- The boon totem sound will make the killer know you could be near a totem healing, so it's already information that could be used for Circle of Healing, Stridor, etc.
- The killer might not Snuff the boon, but make you lose all progress still because of Hemorrhage
- Self Care allows you to heal everywhere at all times, in far corners of the map, and you won't have to waste time to bless a totem. Usually also much less chances to get interrupted by Infectious Frights, Coulrophobia, Starstruck, etc.
That's why overall I think Self Care is stronger and more consistent in solo Q than Circle of Healing; also because with no coordination your teammates could set a boon at the same time, and waste a big amount of time instead of doing gens.