Hyperfocus overhyped

Why do people seem to fix onto hyperfocus as this super gen perk. Like your first great skill check, no difference and then its only and additional .3 for the second, .6 for the third, .9 for the 4th. Like stake out gives an additional 1% flat per great skill check which takes hyperfocus. To get an average of that increase with hyperfocus alone you need to hit 8 great skill checks IN A ROW. Which if you're able to sit on a gen from start to finish is about all the skill checks you can get, you will get more with a toolbox but that also is a one time uses as you cant choose to stop working with the toolbox without losing all your stacks. This just seems like a lot of hype for something that saved an additional 7.2 seconds when you are able to sit on a full gen. I mean this is the same amount that Overzealous gives on a dull totem and less than resilience gives when injured and both of these allow for you to leave if needbe. Like I really don't get why this perk is getting so much attention and hype.

Comments

• SOULWARRIOR71K
    SOULWARRIOR71K Member Posts: 457

Nah it’s not overhyped when multiple people in a coordinated swf are using it with stakeout/prove/toolboxes/bnps etc. And unless they make big mistakes, those gens will fly and pretty much guarantee at least a 3 man out.

That being said, I think this has more to do with the fact that gens can be done incredibly quick when survivors are efficient. 90 second gens don’t really exist (especially at the beginning of the game). Gen speeds vary so widely that it’s difficult to gauge if one perk is to blame.

• KayTwoAyy
    KayTwoAyy Member Posts: 1,699

I played with it for about 2 weeks.

I think it breathes some new life into cranking gens--the desire to hit every great skill check (without Stakeout) forces you to be a bit more attentive on the gen, and it creates a bit of tension when you're playing against a stealth killer like Myers or Ghost Face.

I never timed my gens, so I couldn't tell you the impact it actually had on my games. It didn't feel like I was doing gens that much faster, it just helped make something boring a little less boring.

If DBD logged stats like "time spent on a gen" and showed them to you at the end of the match, it'd probably be easier for the average player to gauge its impact. As it stands, I don't think the average player cares enough to do their own scientific testing.

• Dead_Harder
    Dead_Harder Member Posts: 1,370

Buddy a build around hyperfocus can basically double gen speeds. A solo survivor with a toolbox can finish a gen in 40ish seconds and without a toolbox 55ish seconds.

And we are not even talking about godlike survivors with stakeout etc there are some extremely good synergies. Its not meta because its not a very survivor-like perk. Why choose a high risk high reward perk when you can choose a safe and reliable one.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

As far as overall stats go Hyperfocus on the aggregate site Nightlight, it started off at about 6% usage when it came out mid August but has dropped to about 4% the last couple of weeks. That still puts it in the top 1/3 of most used perks (around #30-40 or so) so it does some use but more as a niche thing right now.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,212

Yeah, there are far more reliable things that indirectly affect repair speeds. I think people tend to focus on the repair speeds themselves at the expense of efficiency elsewhere. For every gen speed perk someone takes or toolbox they take, some other action is probably taking longer and keeping a survivor off of a gen. You know what really makes gens fly? Not having to unhook teammates (Deliverance), not having to heal each other+healing faster (green medkit+8 charges+scissors), and staying alive longer (OTR+DS).

Multiple ways to get to 90x5 more quickly.

• Sharpefern
    Sharpefern Member Posts: 422

Please show me any video of someone with just hyperfocus soling a gen in under 75 seconds hell it can be in a custom. No toolbox, No stakeout, no resilience. For them to get a gen done in under 75 second they need to hit 9 NINE great skill checks in a row. To do it in 55 seconds like youre mentioning they need to hit 16. You dont get that many skill checks on a gen even with the slight buff it give you.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,559

Ask the 4 SWF that run Hyperfocus + Stakeout + Prove Thyself combined with the best toolboxes sending themselves to the best map. I'm sure they'll tell you all about how fair and underrated ending the game in under 4 minutes is.

• Sharpefern

Again thats mainly Stakeout, Prove thyself. and the toolboxes. You take out hyperfocus and the amount of time doesnt change much even with perfect use. Like other perks including, Built to last, Resilience, Overzealous all would provide more value but Hyperfocus is like the poster child for gen rushing. Thats my question. Why?

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,546

It seems like a perk that does well in a vaccum... but not so much in a normal match

• Coffeecrashing
    Coffeecrashing Member Posts: 3,661

If people really don’t think hyperfocus makes much of a difference, then they should be ok if BHVR nerfs the upper limits of how many seconds it can remove from a generator, because those scenarios “aren’t going to happen anyway”

• WorthlessBeing
    WorthlessBeing Member Posts: 378

Way I see it, the perk is pure benefit. You don't lose progression on losing stack, and your great skillchecks actually fill the gen more. Not to mention it trains you to hit them more consistently.

I see no reason why you shouldn't run it.

• Veinslay
    Veinslay Member Posts: 1,959

It's not overhyped at all. It's very easy to use and get massive value from if you dedicate your build to it. I played solo queue with commodius/more charges add on/BNP with Hyperfocus/Stakeout/Built to Last/Streetwise and was easily able to bang out 2 generators right at around 50 seconds on average (without Stakeout value) and down to like 45 seconds with Stakeout stacks. That is not healthy for the game at all. It's absurd

• Sharpefern

Right now since its 8 skill checks to equate to the same 1% bonus you get from stake out I would not see a problem with removing the cap. You might get an extra 1-2 seconds from it if you have 10 skill checks on a gen.

• Sharpefern

I looked at his vids his comments are all about its synergies with other perks and items but neglects to mention that those other perks and items are providing more benefit than hyperfocus. Again show me a clip and I will break down the amount hyperfocus is doing vs stakeout the toolbox. For example Built to last with a commodius wire spool and socket swivels can change the almost 20 second save of gens to almost 60 seconds save total. Overzealous shaves between 7 and 14 seconds off every gen and Resilence shaves 8 seconds off every gen. To match the weakest of those you need 8 great skill checks in a row to match they 7 seconds you save because as a total with 8 consecutive skill checks you shave 16.1% total. 8% is just from hitting great skill checks as normal and 8.1% is from Hyperfocus.

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

The Perk itself is fine, only time it gets problematic is when it is used in a build entirely focussed around it.

Make it incompatible with Toolboxes and I don't think anyone would complain about it anymore.

• Coffeecrashing

I'm saying to nerf the scenarios that "may happen 1 out of 200 games". You shouldn't even notice a difference, if you truly think these scenarios are so rare.

• Coffeecrashing

1) Toolboxes shouldn't give extra skill checks if the survivor is using hyperfocus

2) Stake Out shouldn't give bugged stacks to hyperfocus

• Audiophile
    Audiophile Member Posts: 319

It’s not overhyped. It works fine and is one of the few new decent perks. I tried it in various setups and found I enjoyed using it with Stake Out and no toolbox. I can generally get the 1st 2 greats without tapping (heh) into my stake out bank. Then I generally get the next 4 with stake out. Sometimes I can manage to make one or 2 of those great skill checks on my own and that brings me into getting 7 or 8 greats in a row. I timed myself and could finish a gen alone with no toolbox in 60s. That’s nothing to dismiss offhand. When I run it with a toolbox and/or Prove Thyself it significantly speeds up objectives and also helps the team feel momentum.

I also like that focusing on hitting greats becomes it’s own mini-game and kinda takes away from the usual crappiness of the game vis a vis camping and tunnelling etc… and it helps you become better at hitting greats in general.

• EntitySpawn
    EntitySpawn Member Posts: 4,233

The ability to do a gen solo in 40seconds? Sure you need a build for it but that's still insane.

Anything that speeds gens is strong, and if you can hit greats constantly this is a good perk as it will give you more and a bonus. Stake out is just a bonus (no extra skill checks)

• ad19970
    ad19970 Member Posts: 6,356

I would argue stacking slowdown perks are a problem as well.

People considered Hyperfocus to be op because videos with Stake Out and a toolbox showed that a gen can be repaired in 40-45 seconds. And that is not good for the game's balance.

I think it's only part of a bigger problem, which is the potential huge variance in gen times that can be achieved with perks and addons, and that goes for both sides. Certain slowdown perk synergies are just too much in my opinion, just like certain gen speed up perks and items.

Though when it comes to Prove Thyself, I have no idea how that perk is op. But with Hyperfocus, combined with Stake Out at least, I can definitely see that being too strong in the right hands.

• lauraa
    lauraa Member Posts: 3,195

At worst hyperfocus just exacerbates the map issue.

• Sharpefern

55 seconds. 12 skill checks. 10.8 was due to normal skill checks, 10.8 was due to stake out. and 13.77 was due to hyperfocus. And again I would state that stake out was the big one there because yes it gave 3 seconds less than hyperfocus but it allowed for hyperfocus to stick. Hyperfocus alone would have finished the gen in 78.5 seconds if he did the skill checks exactly like he did or if he hit all of the skill checks it still 66 seconds with hyperfocus 79 seconds without perks and 69 seconds if it was just stakeout. Like its not hyperfocus that is the issue.

• ScottJund
    ScottJund Member Posts: 1,115

Who cares? This is game in which you are supposed to find perk synergy. It's like saying old Ruin was bad because it relied on Undying. The fact is, Hyperfocus is the strongest gen completion perk in the game and synergizes absurdly well with Stake Out and Toolboxes. The reason most people don't complain about it is because most people simply aren't good enough to use it.

• Ryuhi
    Ryuhi Member Posts: 3,733
    edited October 2022

Oh course its not just hyperfocus, its the fact that hyperfocus alone has further destabilized the solo gen speed variable when it already had more than enough destabilizing factors, exactly like you're stating. That paired with having a perfect synergy that removes the skill-based restriction means that it gets more value than it would otherwise, while also not having the downsides of being consumable like toolboxes and such. The Stake out stacks are consumable but also renewable, the hyperfocus stacks can be lost but the perk always stays active.

Gen speeds were already in a bad spot, its why they nerfed a lot of regression and slowdown perks while trying a "safe" 10 second addition to the max charges, increasing their effective total (for all 5) by 20-50 seconds on average. Great skill checks used to give even more bonus a while back but that was scaled back for a reason, which is why its kinda odd that a perk like this would be ok.

This is why fixing root issues instead of throwing perks at them is a much healthier solution, especially when its actually done properly. Otherwise you end up with a growing cycle of "I need x because they're gonna run y" and metas become more rigid than ever due solely to necessity.

• Aneurysm
    Aneurysm Member Posts: 5,270

It frustrates me personally because I can consistently hit greats as long as I'm not actively trying to

• Sharpefern

This is an example of hyperfocus at its farthest extreme and its still only 3 seconds more than stake out which doesnt have the stipulations. Overzealous with a hex totem shave 14.4 seconds off a gen which was more than the hyperfocus did in this example. This is why I am saying hyperfocus is overhyped. Because its not the strongest gen completion perk. Prove thyself with 2 people saves a total of 14 seconds(7 seconds per) with 3 people saves 30 seconds (10 seconds per) and 4 people 48 seconds (12 seconds per). The amount that hyperfocus saves in its extremes is not an issue when you look at other gen rushing perks in theirs.

• Sharpefern

Again I have been stating that hyperfocus is overhyped. That it is not nearly as strong as people are giving it credit for. And that in these gen rushing videos that feature hyperfocus that the other perks, especially stakeout, and toolboxes are the ones doing the heavy lifting. That people are focusing on this perk which is not the issue.

• Ryuhi

Prove thyself requiring 2 people means it can't be done on 3+ gens simultaneously. You're using the self healing efficiency trap logic: Self healing through various means is almost always slower than having another person heal you, but its allowing that person to be using that efficiency and pressure elsewhere.

• Ryuhi
    edited October 2022

It could be a perk that just lets out a wet fart and it would still be too strong if it further exacerbates an existing issue in the game.

• Sharpefern

Overzealous did not get this kind of attention, which was the survivor just before rebecca, which again saves 7.2-14.4 seconds depending on the cleanse. and this is without the skill and RNG challenges.

• Ryuhi
    edited October 2022

Thats because it directly clashed with boons, and since CoH is still as meta as ever, there is a much larger tradeoff. Especially with how meta Pentimento has become (ironically) as the new king of "inconsistent yet powerful" gen slowdown perks. Hyperfocus you just have to be able to do what everyone was required to do with ye olde Ruin (just without the red skill checks) and it synergizes so well with stake out that its basically a training wheels perk for it.

• Sharpefern

Is this not your previous statement.

Like this perk is such a high risk high reward perk. If you start a gen that already has progess, if they have pain res, if the killer comes by this perk does nothing. And even if you are able to sit on a gen the perk requires you to hit an exorbitant number of skill checks in a row. This is not what should be focused on. Hyperfocus is not the issue and is no stronger than the other gen speed perks in the game.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,358

I think Hyperfocus or even Hyperfocus + Stake Out is overhyped. I've ran the combo and some killers you can't stack up Stake Out against and without at toolbox to produce more skillchecks you can often not get much bonus out of it.

That said it does become problematic when used in conjunction with a toolbox, especially since I ran BNP one time and got Hyperfocus stacks with the BNP skillchecks.

I think the easiest adjustment is just make Hyperfocus not work with items.

• Ryuhi
    edited October 2022

Its not risk reward if the risk is.... nothing. Removing a totem for Overzealous has the risks of hurting boon placement and enabling pentimento, even giving inner healing users one less heal on the map. If your argument is solely around the potential for its impact to be denied, Overzealous gets disabled the first time you get smacked after activating it. They're not exactly the same.

Edit: If you think I'm defending overzealous as being healthy for the game, it still isn't, I'm just explaining why people care more in regards to hyperfocus than they did when overzealous came out. anything that can speed up gens while only requiring one survivor is pretty unhealthy for the game, and a contributor to the circular logic of gen speed perk issues on either side.

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,792

Because almost every chapter people like to pick one survivor perk to freak out about, saying it'll be absolutely busted and destroy the game.

Power Struggle was that perk once. It released, was barely used. Quite some time passed and got buffed and.. it's still not used outside of meme builds lol.

• RpTheHotrod
    RpTheHotrod Member Posts: 1,845
    edited October 2022

I wouldn't say it's overhyped. Alone, not too bad, but when you mix it with other stuff, you have stuff like this going on:

Killers can't even get to a gen by the time they are done.

The link above is 17 seconds to finish a gen with only 2 people.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,059

My experience as well.

I was even running a full build for it - Commodious Toolbox with double extra Charges, Streetwise, Built to last and Hyperfocus/Stake Out. It was decent on RPD-Maps against Wesker (I was testing the build shortly after Project W hit live).

But when I went against an Artist on Haddonfield (as example), I did not get many Stake Out-Stacks and so I did hit a lot less Great Skill Checks. And I am playing the game for a very long time, so I am not really bad at hitting Greats.

• Sharpefern

You are risking being able to do an entire generator uninterupted thats the risk. You get stopped during perk does next to nothing or nothing. You need 8 skill checks to get to 8%. 8 skill checks are going to take quite a while to get. If you get less than 6 your getting less than 5% extra on that gen. You might as well be running de ja vu

• Ryuhi
    edited October 2022

You're saying its risk is the potential for its value to be stopped. Thats low risk high reward, because it doesn't involve a setback. High risk high reward would be if you lost additional progress for every stack of hyperfocus you have if a skillcheck is failed by you or anyone else on the same gen, as it would have a potential negative to risk when attempting the positive. There is no negative with this perk, only potential to disrupt its degree of value.