”new meta is fun lots of variety “

theboyitachi
theboyitachi Member Posts: 57
edited October 2022 in General Discussions

why do people continue to act like meta has change an any significant way compared to a year ago to now especially for killer ?

Comments

• theboyitachi
    theboyitachi Member Posts: 57

mind you the old meta was atleast free so everyone got a chance to use it perks like reassurance and deadlock are locked behind pay walls to even use

• Ryuhi
    Ryuhi Member Posts: 3,733

Its my biggest complaint how they handled CoB/Overcharge: Nerf the free one to pretty much require the paid one. Was a pretty **** move.

• Sava18
    Sava18 Member Posts: 2,439

I mean there would have to be a gameplay overhaul for the core idea of meta perks to shift.

• kingcarl2012
    kingcarl2012 Member Posts: 1,710
  • Marik1987
    Marik1987 Member Posts: 1,700

Meta changed for Killer? Thats new. For Survivor? Definitely

But Killer? The Variety is gone. They butchered Tinkerer, they destroyed Ruin and Pop, they killswitched Thana for every killer besides Plague and Legion. What should M1-Killer (lets forget about Nurse and Blight for a second) otherwise run? Oh yeah, the brain out-build Endurance, Spirit Fury.

The only perks worth running as a slow-walking M1-Dude like Pig, Freddy or Trapper is Corrupt, Deadlock, No Way Out, PR and DMS. Everything else = hard time against good survivors.

• Ryuhi

The reduced the start slowdown speed significantly due to complaints of synergizing the two. Which one you like better isnt the point, they approached it as a position to secure DLC sales rather than break up what was considered an annoying synergy.

• kingcarl2012
    kingcarl2012 Member Posts: 1,710

No but there is a youtube video of them side by side and while COB does start faster, if you are trying to reduce a gen from 99 to 0 Overcharge is actually faster than COB.

• Malkhrim
    Malkhrim Member Posts: 964

Isn't that only if the regression lasts for really long (as Overcharge lasts for longer than Call of Brine)? Because it rarely lasts that much, usually a survivor just comes and interrupts overcharge before it builds up too much. Also, it's way easier to notice that a killer has Overcharge than Call of Brine.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

That’s because Overcharge hypothetically lasts indefinitely while Call of Brine lasts a max of 60 seconds. But in practice gens that were at 99% aren’t normally abandoned by survivors for a full minute or more, someone comes by to stabilize them well before that point. And if they touch the gen before about 15 seconds or so (I don’t remember the exact number) and make the skill check then Overcharge is actually less total regression than even a normal kick with no perk, let alone a kick with Call of Brine.

Really the times Overcharge is better in practice than Call of Brine is when survivors sometimes miss those checks. When that happens they get significantly punished with extra regression and that makes up the difference. But if you’re against survivors who are all solid on skill checks Overcharge is I think definitely worse than Call of Brine unless you maybe have some sort of gimmick like an impossible skill check type build (e.g. Unnerving Presence plus Huntress Lullaby).

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,634

The META has shifted considerably. It still exists of course but the devs where quite successful in shaking it up. Sadly the brought back DMS + Pain Res but other than that it definitely worked.

• tippy2k2
    tippy2k2 Member Posts: 5,178

This

On top of this as well, there will ALWAYS be a meta in a game because there are always going to be Xs and Os players who insist on having the very very very very best combination you can possibly have and will either figure it out or will look to someone else who has already figured it out and copy it.

BHVR can mess around with the perks and whatnot but there will always be perks that people gravitate towards because they are (or perceived at least) to be the strongest combination

• StibbityStabbity
    StibbityStabbity Member Posts: 1,839

The meta changed.

How that meta plays out didn't.

If Slowdown and Second Chance perks are consistently the strongest options, then they will always be used more often. Which ones are used, however, has changed. This IS a meta shake up, even if the resulting gameplay isn't notably different. Slowdown perks and Second Chance perks would have to be redesigned in a global capacity in order to make them less advantageous to run if you wanted them to no longer be meta. Until then, the meta mostly just consists of which ones to use based on the pay-offs they provide.

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 8,316

overcharge is meant to be an infinite hex:ruin for kicking a generator that is applied by kick. its design to punish generator tapping from skill-check, but an added lose/lose element was added to the perk where by not tapping generator, you lose over-time progression which I find hilarious because one of the perk that specifically changed was because it had lose-lose element to the perk.

remove lose-lose element from 1 perk only to add lose-lose element to another perk. Overcharge sucks at punishing gen-tapping from super easy skill-check but the infinite over-time regression is super valuable for killer.

call of brine negates the negatives of overcharge since regression starts at 175% and reaches 300% for last 30 seconds of regression.

both perks fulfill over-time regression. Its just that two of them have strong synergy with each other. Eruption is the perk that replaced pop. The effective nerf of pop is that eruption does 12.5% regression so half regression of pop, but you gain 25 seconds of incapacitated which some survivor have complained about 2nd part of the perk being more powerful vs solo and very useless vs 4 man swf. Its just nobody talked about eruption before change because the perk was garbage.

• StarLost
    StarLost Member Posts: 8,077

Because it...has?

I've never seen as much perk variety on either side as we have now.

• CoDismylife
    CoDismylife Member Posts: 327

Gen perks vs Gen perks.

Idk about yall but this currently meta is stale af and I want the old meta back

• UnknownKiller
    UnknownKiller Member Posts: 3,024

All gen regression will be meta and all second chances exhaust perk gonna be meta till it become irrelevant or extremely niche

• Ryuhi
    edited October 2022

That is all outside of my point, which is that overcharge was nerfed specifically because of the synergy, while making it that much more necessary. And the second half of that synergy being on a licensed garbage tier recent killer who is still waiting for her post release revisit.

• EntitySpawn
    EntitySpawn Member Posts: 4,233

I like to look at it this way.

Can a survivor win a good killer without gen speed perks? Yes

Can a killer win good survivors without gen defense? No

While stacking 4 is a little overkill killers need gen defense just to try have a decent length game against good players. While survivors got base BT which was quite meta killer didnt get corrupt base which is a huge game issue.

It is what it is, cant blame either side but killer definitely needs it more. No survivor needs to do gens solo in 40seconds...

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 8,316

i think you can use overcharge by itself. its just that for how fast dbd moves as a game, over-time regression is too slow to make a difference by itself. My personal opinion is that its win-more perk that only works if you stall the game down to crawl. I prefer generator defense perks that make lose-less generator less fast(automatic activation). I like being aggressive in the game and that perk is complete defence. not my cup of tea.

Licensed garbage tier was released in march and we're in October. from my experience, most killer stay the same for very long time in dbd. Don't hold your breath when it come to dbd changes to killer powers.

• Grigerbest
    Grigerbest Member Posts: 1,546

As long as gens are flying really quick, I'm not changing my regression perks. xD

• Ryuhi
    edited October 2022

They are supposed to get post release revisits and generally have going back a few years now. Not complete reworks or anything, but a second pass where they see how wrong their assumptions were at launch. It got skipped over for the meta shakeup and again for the UB/mori/flashlight test. She needs plenty of work but hasnt even gotten so much as a look at her addons or ability, and now people are using pig-like tactics to force her condemn as their attempt to make her viable. Thats long overdue, but my point again is that their idea of breaking up synergy was to punish the free perk and make it lean more heavily on needing to pair with a paid newer perk. Regardless of the actual reasoning, that practice is scummy as hell and always has been, and its absolutely no surprise why BBQ was only ever in the shrine like 4 times while it had the BP bonus.

Its not pay to win, but it is "pay-to-not-be-completely-disadvantaged"

• Chaos999
    Chaos999 Member Posts: 869

Meh. I'm still happy with enduring, bamboozle, spirit fury and pain resonance, all of which are free.

One solid slowdown is all I need when I can have fun chasing survivors as an unstoppable force.

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,702

I see a lot of variety more in survivor but killers are still running slowdown perks.