Chapter Concept: Shattered Expectations
Back at it again with a new concept, this one is number 6! I took a shot at making an M1 stealth type killer, with a mechanic of keeping survivors separated while still close in a sense. Let me know what you think!
New Killer: The Distortion
Name: Pascal D'Aramitz
Movement: 4.6 m/s
Terror Radius: 32 meters
Appearance: -WIP- humanoid.
Weapon: Psychic Shards
Using telekinetic abilities, he slashes at survivors with a sharp glass-like substance in a diagonal arc.
Mori: The shards used by the killer fly into the Survivor's limbs, lifting them into the air. The Distortion then uses his powers to create a rift in the center of their body mass, disfiguring them as it increases in size. The Survivor screams in pain, until the rift swallows them whole, leaving no trace of a body.
Lore summary: A prodigy college student, caught in a series of daydreams every since he was a young boy. Had began a research project on other worlds since he was a young boy. Group of peers had come to ruin his efforts out of jealousy, successfully destroying most of his work in his teen years. Pascal had then been enlightened through some notes that were in good condition, finding a few things that were placed by a mysterious figure.
Pascal had continued his research, making a breakthrough in his theory of stepping into other worlds. He was able to perform a few successful tests with small objects, but then decided to send himself into the other realm first hand. His efforts were a success; being able to sneak passed others without them detecting his presence. Pascal plotted for revenge against his peers, using the new realm he discovered as a tool for murder. He went on a spree of serial killings, enacting his vengeance, mostly able to get off without suspicion on his part, until he got cocky with his latest victim, leaving some incriminating evidence behind. He had been confronted by his professor, Alberta Maddox, whom had deduced his deeds. Before he could make a plan to silence her, the two of them were swallowed in a black fog...
Killer Power: Fragmented Reality
Strengthened by The Entity, The Distortion has the ability to alter and split the realm in twain.
At the start of the Trial, a timer of 30 seconds will begin to countdown for all Survivors. Once the timer has reached zero, two Survivors are transported into the Shattered Plane, a sub-realm of existence that separates them from their allies.
The Shattered Plane
The Shattered Plane is a sub-realm used by The Distortion when hunting down Survivors. Its appearance is nearly identical to the Entity's Realm, with only a few subtle differences. Throughout the Shattered Plane flies shimmering pieces of debris, appearing to be a substance akin to glass.
While Survivors may be in the same location, if they exist in different planes of reality, they cannot interact with each other directly. If there is a Survivor on the Shattered Plane, they can only perform actions with a Survivor who is also on the Shattered Plane. Survivors will have intermitted invisibility of each other if on separate planes of existence when within 20 meters of each other.
While The Distortion is on the opposite plane of existence of his prey, he is considered Undetectable and has intermitted invisibility to Survivors. If it is on the same plane of existence as a Survivor, The Distortion will be fully visible to them. The Distortion has visibility on all Survivors, no matter what plane of existence they currently inhabit.
If a Survivor traverses realities by any means, they will be afflicted with the Oblivious status effect for 20 seconds.
Special Ability: Planar Shift
The Distortion must be on the same plane of existence as the Survivors in order to harm them.
Press and hold the Power button to Shift into the other realm at your current location. After fully shifting between realms, gain a movement speed bonus for 3 seconds.
Special Ability: Mass Planar Shift
The Distortion is capable of pulling Survivors in and out of the Shattered Plane as it wishes.
Press and Hold the Ability button to use Mass Planar Shift which will send out a wide shockwave within your Terror Radius, causing any Survivor caught in range to scream and be sent to the opposite plane of existence that they were initially on. This ability goes on cooldown for 45 seconds after being used.
Special Interaction: Dimensional Rift
A Survivor can traverse the two planes via various holes in space that can appear throughout the map called Dimensional Rifts. A Dimensional Rift will spawn in random locations throughout the Trial Grounds, while only having a total of 3 available at the same time.
It will take a total of 30 seconds before a new set of Dimensional Rifts appear. If The Distortion interacts with a Dimensional Rift, the respawn timer will take an additional 30 seconds.
Killer Add-on ideas:
- Failed Thesis (Common): Mass Planar Shift will not send Survivors into the Shattered Plane. Gain 100% more BP for Fragmented Reality scoring events.
- Various rarities to adjust cooldown of Mass Planar Shift.
- Various rarities to adjust the spawn rate of Dimensional Rifts.
- Various rarities to increase The Distortion's movement speed duration after using Planar Shift.
- Rare: Increase the range of Mass Planar Shift to extend 8 meters outside of your Terror Radius.
- Rare: Survivors that travel to the opposite realm by any means are afflicted with the Blindness status effect for 30 seconds.
- Very Rare: Survivors that travel to the opposite realm by any means are afflicted with the Hindered status effect for 15 seconds.
- Very Rare: Performing a Mass Planar Shift will cause any Survivor within your Terror Radius repairing a Generator to be get with a difficult Skill Check. If the Skill Check is failed, The Entity will block that Generator for 25 seconds.
- Very Rare: Whenever a Survivor interacts with a Dimensional Rift, their Aura is revealed to you for 4 seconds.
- Very Rare: Gain a Token every time you transport a Survivor into the Shattered Plane with Mass Planar Shift. If you have 12 Tokens once the Exit Gates are powered, gain a permanent 5% Haste status effect bonus.
- Shredded Notebook (Iridescent): At the beginning of the Trial, two random Survivors will immediately be sent to the Shattered Plane. A Survivor's range for intermittent invisibility when on the opposite plane of existence is reduced by 50%.
- Otherworldly Thesis Paper (Iridescent): Two out of the three Dimensional Rifts become trapped. When a Survivor interacts with one of these trapped rifts, they will scream and reveal their location. Survivors will also be afflicted with the Exposed status effect for 25 seconds.
The Distortion comes with 3 unique perks.
Hex that drains the energy from the tools in the possession of your victims.
If there is at least one Dull Totem remaining on the Trial Grounds, Hex: Nihility activates on a random Totem after the first Survivor is hooked:
- All Survivors suffer from the Cursed Status effect until Hex: Nihility is cleansed.
- Any Item the Survivors are carrying will gradually lose its charges over a 60/50/40 second duration.
The Hex persists until its Hex Totem is cleansed.
"The concept of homework was meant as a punishment when it was first created. There's not point in completing this if I already know the material..." -Pascal D'Arsmitz
Your knowledge enables you to exert your powerful presence, spreading fear to your prey.
When carrying a Survivor Entropic Gravity activates:
- Survivors suffer from the Hindered status effect, suffering a 3% speed penalty while within your Terror Radius.
- The Status Effect lingers for 20/25/30 seconds after leaving your Terror Radius.
After hooking or dropping your Survivor, Entropic Gravity deactivates:
- The Status Effect lingers for 20/25/30 seconds for any Survivor within your Terror Radius at that moment.
Entropic Gravity has a cooldown of 60 seconds once the Survivor is no longer being carried.
"I am not bound by the same rules as you are." -Pascal D'Aramitz
Scourge Hook: Liminal Stasis
The Entity offers assistance, but at a cost.
At the start of the Trial, 4 random Hooks are changed into Scourge Hooks.
- The Aura of Scourge Hooks are revealed to you in white.
Each time a Survivor is unhooked from a Scourge Hook, the following effect applies:
- The Entity is called upon to prevent the Survivor from being unhooked for 30/35/40 seconds.
- While The Entity is blocking the Hook, the Sacrifice Process is halted for 25 seconds.
- All other Survivors suffer the Oblivious status effects for 25 seconds.
"What if there was a space beyond our comprehension? Something that a normal person couldn't even dare to dream of?" -Pascal D'Aramitz
Name: Alberta Maddox
Occupation: Metaphysics Professor
Lore Summary: Professor Maddox was a highly intelligent woman, dedicated to her field in Metaphysics. Has a past involving a few encounters where she had escaped The Entity's clutches as it took someone closer to her instead. First her mother, then older brother, and the most recent being a former lover that shared the same love for philosophy. Her scars deep, keeping anyone and everyone away from getting too involved with her. Her only course of action was to look into this strange phenomenon of a supernatural being interacting with their world.
She had case files of several others who had similar encounters; some who lived to tell the tale, but many who have never been found again. Studied them for any signs or connections. A series of cases then sprung up around campus, where some of the students had initially gone missing. Figuring it was the same event, Alberta kept close tabs on what was going on, noting down every detail. Eventually, she discovered these cases were not so similar to her own encounters, finding out they have a connection to one of her students. After finding a decisive piece of evidence that links him to one of the crimes, Alberta confronted him, wanting to know about how he accomplished his murders without getting noticed. Rather than going to the police right away, she figured it may be a good chance to use her student for her own gain, learning how to pass through to other realms herself, and maybe find one in particular. Before she could strike a bargain, her student had attacked her, trying to end her life. Before the final blow could be dealt, a familiar setting snuck in; a black fog, encompassing the classroom, swallowing everything whole.
Alberta Maddox comes with 3 unique perks.
Your research provides you with a means to work on menial tasks, so you can focus more brainpower on survival.
After repairing Generators for a total of 40%, Temporal Flux activates:
- After repairing a Generator for at least 3 seconds, press the Active Ability button to install a Trap which stays active for 10/15/20 seconds.
- The Aura of all trapped Generators are revealed in yellow to all Survivors.
- The Generator will continue to repair itself at a conversion rate of .5% for every second Temporal Flux stays active.
- You lose the ability to work on your own trapped Generator.
- An additional 5% Regression penalty applies if another Survivor fails a Skill Check on this Generator, or if damaged by The Killer.
Damaging the Generator destroys the Temporal Flux.
"There's a chance we could increase our chance of success by a mere, 2%... how lovely." -Alberta Maddox
Providing strategic knowledge to your allies allows them to do all the dangerous work for you.
Survivors within 12 meters of your location receive a 4%/5%/6% bonus to their Vaulting speed and lingers for 10 seconds.
"Because you seem so fond of being the center of attention, why don't you teach the class today, Masters? I'm sure we would all love to hear about your fun night with the dean's daughter! In fact, why don't I call him down so he can pull up a chair as well?" -Alberta Maddox
Something that was once an annoyance, now becomes one of your most powerful tools.
After repairing Generators for a total of 50%, Confiscated Project activates:
- Enter a Locker, and press the Ability button to set a Trap inside of it that stays active for 40/45/50 seconds.
- The Aura of the trapped Locker is revealed to all Survivors in yellow.
- Survivors are unable to hide inside of the trapped Locker.
- When the Killer opens this Locker, the trap explodes, stunning them and blinding anyone nearby.
Confiscated Project deactivates after triggering successfully or the timer runs out.
"Do you know what was discovered in Kensington's locker? Yes, that thing! Gave us all quite the shock, I'd say." -Alberta Maddox