So, how do you accidentally activate EVERY tile spawn?

Options

Exactly what spaghetti-like map code do you have to have to accidentally turn on spawning every single possible random bit of scenery that can spawn in an area to the point that there's basically no open space if something can spawn... and then not be able to fix it without an entire QA cycle ???

Comments

• RainehDaze
    RainehDaze Member Posts: 2,573
    Options

I'm really confused, because if you can accidentally DO it, then it's clearly controlled by some variable somewhere, so it should be easy enough to trace back and bloody fix. <_>

• MeltingPenguins
    MeltingPenguins Member Posts: 3,742
    Options

you'd think so. You'd really think so *screams in someone with only basic coding skills who still knows the pain*

My best guess is this:

There's various things that impact spawns, not just the RNG for the generation and hook offerings. scourgehook perks, totem perks, etc influence the RNG as well. and all it needs is ONE SINGLE TYPO to have the code set all spawns to TRUE. And tracking that down is a mess.

Add to that that they apparently are restructuring and reorganizing the code in the background, and it gets even worse. The faulty code might very well come from a much much earlier code version (given how new updates are likely created parallel) so... best we can do is wish them Good luck, and thanks for all the fish.

• RainehDaze
    Options

You have to wonder what bizarre spaghetti mess they possibly had that anything else caused random scenery to splurge everywhere.

• MeltingPenguins
    edited November 2022
    Options

well, judging by what I know about how they structure killer ability... I'd not be surprised if it's similar here.

As far as I know they have/had it that ability effects and their animations/sounds etc are not sorted by killer, but in their own parts of the code. which would make sense, too, however atm it seems that there's a dormant collision check (the old version) still being active to call effects, which leads to the situations where e.g. plague's vomit hits a survivor, sound and animation for a hit plays on both ends, but nothing comes of it. Because collision check A said there is a hit, called the effects, but new check B said no and didn't call a status change...

EDIT: as for the tiles, didn't they recently add/experiment with user generated tiles? I'd say there's the main-culprit

• HectorBrando
    HectorBrando Member Posts: 3,167
    Options

I remember there was this bug where pallet stuns wouldnt properly work, the pallet dropped and the Killer wouldnt be stunned unless he was right on the middle of the pallet (my guess is something related to pallet hit detection made it being REAAAAAALLY small so you had to be in a very small spot for it to hit you), that bug got patched and in the same fix Freddy fake pallets started to stun him like regular, real ones, so the fix to the hitbox also affected fake pallets.

My guess is Freddy dream pallets are just regular pallets (which makes sense as using modular code saves TON of time and space) with an exception to set stun hitbox to FALSE or reduced to an area of 0 and after the fix they just forgot to add the exception to Freddy addons or it was there but the fix overrode it.

• Predated
    Predated Member Posts: 2,870
    Options

It's probably easy to fix, but it's not game breaking enough to issue a hotfix specifically for that one check, nor is it appearantly gamebreaking enough to disable the map.

While there are a few that link up that make it danm hard to finish that chase, most killers have ways around most of the spawns.

As long as the average chase doesn't exceed 60 seconds, and the average killrate doesn't go below 2.5, it's manageable.

I personally understand people wanting the hotfix or a killswitch, but nothing gamebreaking is happening with it yet.

• HectorBrando
    HectorBrando Member Posts: 3,167
    Options

Its not one map, is every single of them except some indoor maps, they cant killswitch everything except The Game, RPD and Lerys.

• Loldino
    Loldino Member Posts: 49
    Options

I bet it isn't a bug but them testing our reactions then claiming its a bug because God help if killers have fun games round here

• MeltingPenguins
    Options

Thinking a bit more about it, I'm kinda certain it has something to do with the user based tile creation

• EvilSerje
    EvilSerje Member Posts: 1,070
    edited November 2022
    Options

You, my good sir or mam, are definetely not a developer :)

How they accidentally broke folliage, how they accidentally spawn 7 pallets near each other, that the only things I understand easily. It's something everyone does, like dropping production database on release day. Every programmer baptised by this.

What is obvious (and not good) is that it looks they were in a rush and past all deadlines. And that hotfixes are not here past few days. That both are questions to management.

• MeltingPenguins
    Options

Also, people ought to look up the story of the dead/not dead companions in Outer Worlds.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,622
    Options

Well good news, they've managed to "trace it back and bloody fix it"

• RainehDaze
    Options

Except the pallets thing ISN'T 'literally every map on the game spawns seemingly every random bit of detritus it can'.

• RainehDaze
    edited November 2022
    Options

Indeed, I am definitely not a developer in the BHVR school of 'release a new map, every EXISTING map simultaneously gets a spawn bug'.

Like, we're beyond plain buggy development, here, into, 'consistently release weird issues into production with nobody catching them, with nothing in the patch notes explaining how this possibly could have happened'.

Post edited by RainehDaze on
  • GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,622
    Options
  • fake
    fake Member Posts: 3,250
    Options

But this game is DbD.

I am convinced that from the time I started playing until today, there has never been a bug free version.