The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

NOED isn’t a crutch, you can use it to slow the game down

One way to counter this perk is to break dull totems before doing all 5 gens, just do that and the perk slot is wasted, the match time will probably extend by 60 to 90 seconds. No need to call everyone that runs the perk a bad killer, because the survivors can destroy it before activation, so it’s not the killers fault.

Comments

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

Survivors prefer to rush gens and cry afterwards instead of taking the slow,safe way.

Until the devs force them to adapt, they will always be able to run this strategy

• The_Crusader
    The_Crusader Member Posts: 3,688
    NOED is like the better Ruin. It just takes place at the opposite end.

1 totem vs 5 totems.

Who cares what survivors think? I just had one guy with DS, Deliverance and an instaheal. How many crutches do you need lmfao

And past few games have been tense. Had to slug the obsession because there were no hooks nearby and I just didnt have time to take a d-strike. Perks like that should not be in the game.

So yeah...I'n gonna start running Noed more now. Never used to because I thought it was cheap but survivors have no shame so why should I?
  • Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590
    edited December 2018

The game needs more slow downs and NOED is totally counterable. That said, it is extremely crutch and for bad killers that can't get their kills otherwise. I'd be curious to see how far off the games "2 kill" balance goal was if we took all NOED kills out of that equation...I'd wager quite far.

• The_Crusader
    The_Crusader Member Posts: 3,688
    Blueberry said:

I'd be curious to see how far off the games "2 kill" balance goal was if we took all NOED kills out of that equation...I'd wager quite far.

Yeah I've been thinking this for a while.

In which case it's no wonder some people find it hard. The game is balanced around NOED. You can tell that on some of the bottom tier killers. Not saying they can't win without it but they often feel underpowered every step of the way.
  • Poweas
    Poweas Member Posts: 5,873

@some_shape said:
    One way to counter this perk is to break dull totems before doing all 5 gens, just do that and the perk slot is wasted, the match time will probably extend by 60 to 90 seconds. No need to call everyone that runs the perk a bad killer, because the survivors can destroy it before activation, so it’s not the killers fault.

Yeah fair enough. I just run small game to destroy it nowadays as survivor. But as killer I still don't run it since it feels scummy as hell getting kills like that. I face SWF all the time anyways as Spirit so even if I run Noed it'd get denied .-. But yeah there's counterplay to it. I'm a killer main right now btw since I got Spirit and I'm loving her.

• Delfador
    Delfador Member Posts: 2,552

NOED is fine if it is equipped by killers like trapper, leatherface, wraith, pig etc.

The only thing that is saving survivors is the mercy of nurses. The only legitimate way to counter a good nurse is to gen rush. It is either let her snowball by breaking totems or get your entire team killed by NOED.

I feel like the game would be better without DS and NOED. These 2 perks don't require much skill but affect the game balance too much. We would have a better picture of balance if these 2 perks didn't exist in the first place.

• powerbats
    powerbats Member Posts: 7,068

@Poweas said:

@some_shape said:

Yeah fair enough. I just run small game to destroy it nowadays as survivor. But as killer I still don't run it since it feels scummy as hell getting kills like that. I face SWF all the time anyways as Spirit so even if I run Noed it'd get denied .-. But yeah there's counterplay to it. I'm a killer main right now btw since I got Spirit and I'm loving her.

Spirit is lots of fun and once you know how to play ehr properly does really well even against swf. As far as Noed goes I ran it off and on on her and found that when it did activate it was almost always near an exit gate when it activated.

I don't ever run Ruin since that's just an invitation to waste a perk slot and make them cleanse every other totem. For Noed itself it's a crutch perk really since you're relying on it to activate and if it doesn't your whole gameplan flops. It's the killers DS in a sense, highly situational and once it's gone you're screwed.

If the survivors are potatoes it's great and will work most of the time but at the higher ranks generally people are smarter.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590
    edited December 2018

@The_Crusader said:
    Blueberry said:

I'd be curious to see how far off the games "2 kill" balance goal was if we took all NOED kills out of that equation...I'd wager quite far.

Yeah I've been thinking this for a while.

In which case it's no wonder some people find it hard. The game is balanced around NOED. You can tell that on some of the bottom tier killers. Not saying they can't win without it but they often feel underpowered every step of the way.

That's why their stats are so flawed. They see 2 kill average and assume it's because it's balanced. When in reality the vast majority of those 2 kills are coming only at the end of the game AFTER the gates are open and because either the survivors are just screwing around or because of NOED. This also wasn't taking into account all the suicides on hook, instant DC's, or just face camping the last guy since the gates are powered. Even if we ignore the latter three, I'd like to see those kills stats if we only count the kills PRIOR to gates being powered. My point is that most of that "2 kill" average isn't from "good balance" but simply from NOED, hook suicides, DC's, or face camping the last guy. My point here also isn't whether something like facecamping the last guy is fine or not, but to simply point out those aren't good balancing or skill based kills, but simply bad design.

This is something I think the devs fail to see with their stats and are misinterpreting their data.

Post edited by Blueberry on
  • Poweas
    Poweas Member Posts: 5,873
    edited December 2018

@powerbats said:

@Poweas said:

@some_shape said:

Spirit is lots of fun and once you know how to play ehr properly does really well even against swf. As far as Noed goes I ran it off and on on her and found that when it did activate it was almost always near an exit gate when it activated.

I don't ever run Ruin since that's just an invitation to waste a perk slot and make them cleanse every other totem. For Noed itself it's a crutch perk really since you're relying on it to activate and if it doesn't your whole gameplan flops. It's the killers DS in a sense, highly situational and once it's gone you're screwed.

If the survivors are potatoes it's great and will work most of the time but at the higher ranks generally people are smarter.

I know she does really well against SWF ;) I play somewhat scummy if there's 2 gens left. I normally try not to tunnel but if there's 2 gens left against a SWF I try to tunnel down 1 guy to get myself into a position of control. She's one of the best killers against SWF though because of how well she can punish unhooks and how well she can comeback from messing up. I've got decent with her rn I just mindgame the tractor on the farm maps by standing at that dropdown and fake phasing. They always vault into my sword it's beautiful. I need ruin though because unlike my Nurse, I'm not good enough with Spirit to play without it.

• powerbats
    powerbats Member Posts: 7,068

@Poweas On her I found if you get better addons Ruin is wasted really and can be swapped for a better perk

My favorite build with her is Rancor which even if it's an swf I still chase the obsession and hook them and if a gen pops i'll use the BBQ trick to change directions.

So Rancor, BBQ both for the auras and the points, then I go with a few different builds depending on what the group comp is.

Bitter Murmur and Rancor is a nice combo and for a total troll build throw in Tinkerer if you're not using Prayer Beads or even if you are. That's a total jumpscare build and quite often you'll get plenty of gen grabs.

I'll use Agitation occasionally depending on group but also if I want to use a map offering for a larger map or if a lot of say TB/Medkits.

• That_One_Scrub
    That_One_Scrub Member Posts: 35

I think the main problem with NOED is in how hard it is to figure out whether you've killed all 5 totems, when playing solo or even duo. Like, you can break every dull totem you see, but you're never going to personally kill all five. Combine that with the potential for your time to be utterly wasted if you're wrong about the killer running NOED, and it gets kind of obnoxious.

Honestly, I'd like to see some sort of transparency change for NOED, rather than a sheer nerf. Like, if the curse was revealed IMMEDIATELY upon gens being done, instead of after the first guy gets insta-downed. I feel like that would be fair to both sides: The sheer power is still there, but you're not stuck guessing anymore.

• artist
    artist Member Posts: 1,519

I think the main problem with NOED is in how hard it is to figure out whether you've killed all 5 totems, when playing solo or even duo. Like, you can break every dull totem you see, but you're never going to personally kill all five. Combine that with the potential for your time to be utterly wasted if you're wrong about the killer running NOED, and it gets kind of obnoxious.

Honestly, I'd like to see some sort of transparency change for NOED, rather than a sheer nerf. Like, if the curse was revealed IMMEDIATELY upon gens being done, instead of after the first guy gets insta-downed. I feel like that would be fair to both sides: The sheer power is still there, but you're not stuck guessing anymore.

every other exposed affect tells you when you are exposed (except devour) so I don't see why not. agree with u 100%
  • SmokePotion
    SmokePotion Member Posts: 1,089
    edited December 2018

Noed is a game slower. You have 3 game slowing hexes.

Ruin is for the early game. This will slow the gen progress for the first few minutes of the game.

Huntress' Lullaby is for Mid Game. Once you start getting hooks, they will start failing skillchecks. This slows the game in the middle, till they get annoyed and clear it. (I can smell the hate. But it works, and works at rank 1 all day, till you get 5 hooks, then suddenly people stop failing checks that's why it's a mid game slower)

NOED is for the endgame. The purpose of which is to get a survivor on the hook, and make people come back for them. Since there's 2 exits (3 if there's only one person left, and that one starts opened) It's usualy impossible to protect them, and killers tend to assume they will be open by the time they get there. But good survivor wont leave if someones on the hook. This gets survivors to come back in, find that totem, and unhook their teammate. It's not actually meant to get bad killers one sack, it's meant to give killers with less map pressure an end game.

I don't consider Devour Hope a game slower, I consider it a snowballer. At least, that's how I use it.